• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    We’re starting to prepare for the second wave (new shelving unit inbound) now that many items are back in stock (flour, yeast, pasta, etc...). Is anyone else starting to prepare for the second wave? If so, anything you are doing different this time around?

We also ordered some more mason jars to can the garden, which is bigger than usual this year.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Just when ammo was starting to get back on shelves,,, not sure I will even find sabot slugs for the fall

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Great thread to start. I've been thinking about this a lot. Of course, TP and sanitizer is at the top of the list. ;)

Seriously, I'm thinking ammo, food stuffs, water and fuel. I'm also contemplating back up systems.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have a quarter of beef coming in September along with a hog

We are canning as much of the garden as possible

Getting more toilet paper lol

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Paper and cleaning products are available now. Sanitizer is still scarce but prices are dropping. Masks are becoming available but true N95 masks (3M) are still unavailable.

I'm good on food, both frozen and shelf. Could use a couple more cases of beans but that's not hard to find.

Increasing my emergency store of gas and water. Civil disturbances can easily disrupt water and electricity distribution.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Nothing different then I've been doing since this all started. At this point I've got a minimum of 6 months worth of food on hand so I'm just shopping once a week for perishables and to replenish anything else we use during the week.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Buy modestly and frequently, build up your stores for many contingencies without panicking.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Since I have a small farm....
    Hardware, lumber, repair supplies. Never realized how much I burn through on a regular basis. Even with all the mason jars of odds & ends in my workshop, and a healthy scrap pile i found a few things lacking over the last few months. Need to pick up some large buckets of various fasteners and build a small war reserve stockpile of 2x4, 2x6, posts and fence boards. A couple flats of shingles and a roll of tar paper as well.
    Critter food. Beefing up the secure grain storage.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Might finally get a couple large propane bottles and a dual fuel generator. But money is tight right now. Our renter lost her job and has been refusing to pay a cent (after originally claiming she mailed May's rent). Now that I am paying two mortgages, can't evict her (for now) and can't sell the 2nd house, its do what we can to make sure we don't lose that 2nd home to foreclosure and all of the equity we have in it.

Pretty well stocked up from prior to the first wave. When the second wave looks likely, probably just get a couple bags of a few staples, like more flour (still have like 40lbs). But generally just not keeping what we do have from running down. Second wave is almost certainly going to be worse and if its start coincides with flu season, it'll likely be really brutal. I do need to get some more chicken feed soon. I think I am down to 5 or 6 bags plus what is in the trash can storage bin. Probably 3 months of feed.

That said, we aren't "done" with the first wave. NY/CT/NJ has been winding down, but about half the states have still be slowly picking up steam all this time. Heck, MD hasn't really be slowing down. Just kind of plateaued. The wave being over implies there is a back side to the curve that approaches zero (or some normal steady state. Not that there is a normal steady state, but you could say what we have right now is we jumped up to what is now the normal for Maryland).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My $ is on gun grabbers if Biden wins.
    I'm still working on the "power company down for 2 weeks after terrorist attack" scenerio

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Pump your septic tanks if you have them.

A question for y’all. Are you readying for a second wave or perhaps a more extended event?

Here’s why I ask... covid is gonna be around for a while. Subsequent waves are virtually guaranteed. Not as bad, worse, the same...who knows. So making ready for what we’ve most recently endured makes good sense.

Say the second wave starts mid month...15 June. Say it lasts about three months. Mid September. Then you have roughly sixty days before the election and another sixty plus a couple days before inauguration.

Then, not because I’m cynical but because I’m watching 2020 be a bastard. I’m also watching non covid social and political and economic shit storms that nobody really thought would happen...

So, prep for a 75 day window or prep for six plus months of steady rattle...

Supply chains are only so strong as their weakest links. They also have a design strength threshold that doesn’t include lots of stuff that has gone from prepper novels to front page news.

So prepping for the second wave seems to me to be a lil short sighted.

Great question to ask. Hope it begs a couple more related thoughts and actions though.

Be well. Stay safe. Use the window wisely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom