• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Would you care to elaborate on your findings for me?
    I'm the newbie and the ignorant one here apparently.
    Thank you.

Sure. Most "cheap" ammunition is under powered. For example, companies like SOLGW use that type of ammunition when they test rifles to make sure rifles will function. Kabooms may come from factory ammunition but that isn't common at all. You'll most likely get cycling issues.

If it's ammo related then you'll see people post pics of a destroyed gun...then they'll mention that they used non factory ammo...with an unknown home brew.

Then you have rifles that are out of spec. That's a whole other issue. Unless you've got proper gauges you're gambling. The fact that it won't run is the least of your issues. Nothing is more irritating than someone having an issue with a rifle and blaming cheap ammunition immediately. In general, unless the AR is set up for something specific, it should cycle any ammunition.

This is a typical scenario where someone makes a purchase and is seeking approval. You really should consider the advice given and get it checked by a pro. Not by someone who likes guns and was in the military.

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    Every big bad Ammo story that I have heard has to do with some Hot Ar Loads.

Make sure your delta rings/ extension tube is aligned ,barrel nut is properly tightened to specs, use a gas tube alignment for proper cycling and importantly please please please use a "go/no-go gauge .
    Make sure your headspace is right.
    Never hurts to take a micrometer over things and make sure they are what they need to be to fit right.

Don't forget your crush washer when you put that flash on.

Honestly you can go to a Smith, and they are more than happy to take care of you.

Sharky has my back

Have fun man and enjoy the learning experience.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    go no go

Thank you.
    I will be using the Hornaday 5.56 Nato Rounds, I know folks sometimes try to go the cheaper route with the 223 ammunitions but it's not In my nature to be ruthless with firearm safety.
    I also have heard of bad booms stories, when your building your own firearms as well.

Was in a SOTAR class with another student with a Noveske "5.56" and and it failed for 5.56 but a-ok on .223. Be careful.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    also

Would you care to elaborate on your findings for me?
    I'm the newbie and the ignorant one here apparently.
    Thank you.

some brands are dirtier than others. Bought a ton of AE55 grain and thought I had a box of 22LR. haha

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Was in a SOTAR class with another student with a Noveske "5.56" and and it failed for 5.56 but a-ok on .223. Be careful.

That's interesting. If the barrell that I have states that it is suitable for the .223 round but it's not able to chamber correctly how would one know without sending a round through it that it will not be safe? Is there a trick?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That's interesting. If the barrell that I have states that it is suitable for the .223 round but it's not able to chamber correctly how would one know without sending a round through it that it will not be safe? Is there a trick?

Gauges and proper experience is the key.

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks for your input. I will do so.
    My brother is a retired Chief in the Navy. He has been around guns for all his life. He was in charge of a very large Installation located on the West Coast. Even had the privilege of training many ST. Over his career in the Navy!!
    He has agreed to look it over and assist with any changes etc.
    Thanks for looking out though. I really appreciate it.

Headspace is the biggy. Take it to a smif and have it measured. The “bang” is s’posed to go forward, not out the sides

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg

The trick is asking the right question to the right person, and following their advice.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thank you.
    I will be using the Hornaday 5.56 Nato Rounds, I know folks sometimes try to go the cheaper route with the 223 ammunitions but it's not In my nature to be ruthless with firearm safety.
    I also have heard of bad booms stories, when your building your own firearms as well.

Yeah, the 5.56 NATO isn’t as hot as .223. Best to avoid kabooms.

Gauges and proper experience is the key.

Did you read that somewhere?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Go No Go

Testing with Go No Go and Field for headspace.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Hello

I thought I would share my First AR build with you all.

Upper Combo( Tiger Rock)
    Tube Assembly ( GunTec )
    Lower Stripped ( Anderson Manufacturing)
    Gas Block( GunTec)
    Trigger kit( Anderson Manufacturing)
    Floating Handle Aluminum( Magpul)
    Buffer and Tube kit( GunTec)
    Barrell( 10.5 inch 5.56. ,1.7 CrMov)
    Iron Rear site( A.R.M.S)

I still need a few items to install before it is ready for the range. Sorry for the poor quality pics.

As well as some Remington Rifle Cartridges.

Congrats on your first build! Did you do the entire build?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom