• IMG_0205.jpg
      IMG_0205.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 259
    • IMG_0193 (1).jpg
      IMG_0193 (1).jpg
      86.2 KB · Views: 262

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Awesome write up. I did not know about the numbering on the parts. I am using childers 80% with an ak builder fcg jig, but I am concerned with alignment.

Longeze60

Jun 8, 2020
    MA.
    What alignments are you concerned with? you are using a new barrel so it is undrilled at the point the barrel pin is inserted. Once the front trunnion is riveted into the receiver the rear sight block aligns with the front trunnion by passing through the rails of the front trunnion can't be messed up. The lower hand gaurd cut out is already cut into the barrel, the upper gas block hole may or may not be drilled in a new barrel. If you can get a new barrel with the gas port drilled already do so if not it is not a big deal but you will have to drill the gas port hole yourself. I usually look from my aft sight down my barrel and eyeball my front sight for alignment you just need to be close you can get it fine tuned by sighting it in at the range when you fire it. If your barrel has a "0" mark on it that's your barrel center for alignment if not once the barrel is pressed into the front trunnion I use the flat portion of the front trunnion measure across the top of it to get the center, then I take a straight edge and use a pencil to make a line down the center of the barrel that's my alignment mark. Don't drill any retaining pin cut out until you have all barrel components installed. Check out some of the AK builds on utube once you have viewed them over and over and you fill you are ready to start dive in, if you are not sure on something go back and view it again. It looks harder then it is.

Longeze60

Jun 8, 2020
    MA.
    I laser level is a great idea but being a new builder I thought keeping it as simple as possible was the best idea. You can start a component going on straight but it does not always stay straight in the process. Once you find the center and mark it, it is a good reference point, after all it is an AK built to be reliable and strong precise alignment was never the intension. Most components want function if not straight the , the front sight is the most important. As long as you are close to being straight and can drift the sight left and right for sighting in you have it made.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Sorry for the long delay. I got paranoid about having the sight canted so I broke down and got a jig. Everything went well minus the pins which are all screwed up, especially my barrel pin... Anyways here is a picture of my build. Now I just need to park and paint it.

Attachments

• 20200623_235259.jpg
      20200623_235259.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 199
    • 20200623_235342.jpg
      20200623_235342.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 191

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    It looks sweet. How did you mess up the pins? Did the HF drill press work for you?

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Thank you. I didnt take my time while drilling and egged some of the holes. I also drilled the hole a bit to small to get a tight fit which caused the pins to bend while I was pressing them on. I chose a wen drill press over a harbor freight one, it had better reviews and it worked out well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom