What is the highest level of medical training you have received?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the highest level of medical training you have received?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Man you missed a few poll topics cupcake.

I have no formal medical training, but I rock one field due to whitepapers and personal experience. Yes, I out choose Johns Hopkins on the correct course. Well actually one Doctor and a Chinese intern were on my side. :cool::innocent0:)

I mean trained medical are cool, but as a patient you are damned well responsible for learning your condition. A general practitioner or nurse doesn't know all the specialties. Just sayin'

I am still an *******.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Basic first aid, CPR, Stop-the-Bleed etc. Am an active member of a Search and Rescue team. Oddly enough, a lot of our first-aid is K-9 based. Dogs get hurt and you've got to see to them quickly to make sure they don't make it worse. If a search subject is injured, we do what we can to stabilize quickly if in a remote area and then get the EMTs in ASAP.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    First_Aid.png

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Man you missed a few poll topics cupcake.

I have no formal medical training, but I rock one field due to whitepapers and personal experience. Yes, I out choose Johns Hopkins on the correct course. Well actually one Doctor and a Chinese intern were on my side. :cool::innocent0:)

I mean trained medical are cool, but as a patient you are damned well responsible for learning your condition. A general practitioner or nurse doesn't know all the specialties. Just sayin'

I am still an *******.

Was ******* the formal diagnosis?

Experience is a great teacher. IMO any reasonably intelligent and motivated person can become an expert in medicine. It’s just a matter of choosing your materials wisely. Some of the smartest and most knowledgeable people I know are readers with good minds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...Experience is a great teacher...

I have no formal first aid training, but managed to 'package' my wife up from a fall she took up in the hills of western Md last fall. When we got to the bottom of the mountain, the EMTs liked my splint so much, they decided it was better than anything they had in their rig and left it on for the ride to the hospital. She ended up needing trauma surgery(the knee replacement is 7 years old...).

Thee months-no weight on the leg. She's a tough woman!

Attachments

• leg1.jpg
      leg1.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 284
    • leg2.jpg
      leg2.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 257

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have no formal first aid training, but managed to 'package' my wife up from a fall she took up in the hills of western Md last fall. When we got to the bottom of the mountain, the EMTs liked my splint so much, they decided it was better than anything they had in their rig and left it on for the ride to the hospital. She ended up needing trauma surgery(the knee replacement is 7 years old...).

Thee months-no weight on the leg. She's a tough woman!
    Damn! Impressive fracture!!!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I watched a buddy cut out his own ingrown toenail once. Skin was gangrenous and all. And he didn't lose any digits. Does that get me anything?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I put down CPR/First Aid, but also did 16 hours with Dark Angel Medical and then another 8 with Active Response Training, plus various bits and pieces in other classes. Poll should probably include "Stop The Bleed" as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I watched a buddy cut out his own ingrown toenail once. Skin was gangrenous and all. And he didn't lose any digits. Does that get me anything?

A good belly laugh(even though that could have been a very serious situation).

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Outrider, I wish you had splinted my right arm in the ER. The idiots that splinted me only put splint down one side, instead of two, and didn’t swathe.

They called my surgeon and he told them to splint and swathe. He didn’t know he had to explain exactly what he meant.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Outrider, I wish you had splinted my right arm in the ER. The idiots that splinted me only put splint down one side, instead of two, and didn’t swathe.

They called my surgeon and he told them to splint and swathe. He didn’t know he had to explain exactly what he meant.

Wait, didn’t you also have an ugly ankle injury a couple of years ago?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I put down CPR/First Aid, but also did 16 hours with Dark Angel Medical and then another 8 with Active Response Training, plus various bits and pieces in other classes. Poll should probably include "Stop The Bleed" as well.

Basic First Aid, CPR and Stop the Bleed.

When it gets real serious I just have my wife look in WebMD.

In all seriousness how did you like Dark Angel. Was it worth it in your opinion and how much of the information do you feel you have retained?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Fortunately, this happened with a couple of floor men around(me included). As we scrambled around for something to isolate her leg with, my bro came up with a stack of carpet samples. World's best splints! Carpet sample and duct tape saved the day.

To anyone listening, put a carpet sample(free at most flooring retailers) in your rucksack. They have a million uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom