• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matty123

Jan 21, 2020
    hey guys , im currently building my first AR , the website i ordered the lower from took over 2 weeks to ship out my ar-15 lower and they included a blemished AR-9 lower , was wondering if you guys know of any budget friendly complete uppers either in .223/5.56 or 9mm, i have the lpk and everything for the .223/5.56 build minus the upper but im debating on building the ar-9 first , please let me know of some good deals on uppers for either or even recommendations on either.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Don't buy PSA/BCA/Radical. I've been burned enough times that I can tell you the super budget ARs are totally not worth it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    hey guys , im currently building my first AR , the website i ordered the lower from took over 2 weeks to ship out my ar-15 lower and they included a blemished AR-9 lower , was wondering if you guys know of any budget friendly complete uppers either in .223/5.56 or 9mm, i have the lpk and everything for the .223/5.56 build minus the upper but im debating on building the ar-9 first , please let me know of some good deals on uppers for either or even recommendations on either.

5.7 upper?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I've had bad luck and good luck with Radical barrels.
    I've had good luck with Delton HBAR upper assemblies (I got a Delton HBAR kit that had everything except the lower) for both myself and 2 friends.
    I had always purchased a stripped lower from local FFL (2A sales) cause it was easy and out the door in 7 days.

I think you should start with the 223 cause its more popular.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Don't know how you describe "budget friendly" but you can buy complete uppers from Olympic Arms in 9mm, 10mm and .45 ACP for $399. The only downside is they require their proprietary magazines rather than something more easily available. I have a complete M4 from them in .45 ACP that I purchased from them in the early 1990s and it's always been superbly accurate and reliable.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Direct blowback 9mm upper I assume? Why? Same if not higher recoil impulse and lower ballistics. I can understand if just for cheaper shooting, but cheap 5.56 ammo isn't that hard to come by.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So you got 2 lowers and need BOTH a 5.56 and 9mm upper? If you haven't tried a braced AR9 "pistol" with a < 8" barrel, you need to, they are hella fun, more so because of where you can shoot it than how it actually shoots, you can run a tiny barrel with no real drawbacks being no gas system. You can shoot it on handgun ranges with steel at close range, and while recoil isn't much different than a decent 5.56, muzzle blast and noise are WAY lighter, and they are even better suppressed. Depending on what AR9 lower you got, GLOCK mag vs COLT mag it will matter when choosing an upper. If it has a LRBHO in the lower, or you don't care if it has one, then you can use most any upper with a compatible bolt, I like FM products, probably the least expensive that runs well, just build the lower, use their 9mm buffer/308 spring, and add the upper, and you are set. Aero does have AR9 uppers coming out with the LRBHO in the upper like the New Frontier design, so there is that, otherwise they would probably be the best choice for a built 5.56 upper. I have built a lot of rifles on the Aero M4E1 and Aero mil-spec receivers, they are my current go-to, and have 0 problems paired with BA or Faxon barrels for a quality, budget build.

matty123

Jan 21, 2020
    Don't buy PSA/BCA/Radical. I've been burned enough times that I can tell you the super budget ARs are totally not worth it.
    what happened with the BCA uppers?, was looking into them because ive only heard good things about them,

Rassie25

Aug 18, 2020
    I am new to firearm ownership and feel like Maryland laws are tricky. I have recently seen an Anderson AM-15 complete lower and considered building one. My question, after looking into the MD banned weapon list, found that it was legal written as Anderson AM-15 in .300. I went to the store in search of it and was told that I could purchase a completed 5.56 upper. My question is can this be done legally as uppers are not "regulated". Is 5.56 ammo legal? I have been on so many sites and the info out there is so difficult to navigate.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am new to firearm ownership and feel like Maryland laws are tricky. I have recently seen an Anderson AM-15 complete lower and considered building one. My question, after looking into the MD banned weapon list, found that it was legal written as Anderson AM-15 in .300. I went to the store in search of it and was told that I could purchase a completed 5.56 upper. My question is can this be done legally as uppers are not "regulated". Is 5.56 ammo legal? I have been on so many sites and the info out there is so difficult to navigate.
    Yes. Any lower that was purchased after 1 Oct 2013 and is being built as a rifle must have a 16" or longer heavy contour barrel if you are buying an upper in 5.56/.223 caliber. Any other caliber need not comply with the 'heavy contour' rule(300AAC, 9mm, .50 Beowulf, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom