• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    DC was registering guns with "multiple calibers" in the caliber field even before dropping in 2012 the portion of code stating you could only posses ammo of the registered caliber.

I think it was neither H2 or H3 but rather threat of suit that changed that. H2 was a loss and h3 was 2015, the prohibition on possessing ammo other than your registration caliber was dropped in 2012 as a result of suit threat, not a specific case as far as I recall. Possessing some ammo before you had a registered gun was now allowed if engaged in training at that time as well.

So for the OP, it is not caliber of ammo possessed that is the issue, it is the accuracy of your registration card, which, under DC code, is explicitly your responsibility to ensure, not MPS's responsivity. Your card must be accurate and complete to be valid.

If you have caliber exchange kit, eg common .22 slide and mags available on dozens of makes of 9 or 40 guns, or as I do, a P320 with both 9 and 40 kit, email Hall and ask to be sent new reg that states "multiple caliber."

Also don't assume having the alternate caliber kit and not assembled in DC is ok. As the c"onstructive possession" case law is federal, meaning anywhere in the US having something that can be readily assembled at same address means you are presumed to be controlled by the net assembly -- simply having your caliber change kit at same address is "constructive possession" and the registrant, not MPD, is responsible for insuring that the registration card is accurate. It is best to request multiple caliber designation or if they are doing it, "9mm and .22 cal"

Make the request and let us know what they say. Ask toi speak to a supervisor if you get hit withresistance since the lower eschelon in that office is not exactly informed.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    DC was registering guns with "multiple calibers" in the caliber field even before dropping in 2012 the portion of code stating you could only posses ammo of the registered caliber.

I think it was neither H2 or H3 but rather threat of suit that changed that. H2 was a loss and h3 was 2015, the prohibition on possessing ammo other than your registration caliber was dropped in 2012 as a result of suit threat, not a specific case as far as I recall. Possessing some ammo before you had a registered gun was now allowed if engaged in training at that time as well.

So for the OP, it is not caliber of ammo possessed that is the issue, it is the accuracy of your registration card, which, under DC code, is explicitly your responsibility to ensure, not MPS's responsivity. Your card must be accurate and complete to be valid.

If you have caliber exchange kit, eg common .22 slide and mags available on dozens of makes of 9 or 40 guns, or as I do, a P320 with both 9 and 40 kit, email Hall and ask to be sent new reg that states "multiple caliber."

Also don't assume having the alternate caliber kit and not assembled in DC is ok. As the c"onstructive possession" case law is federal, meaning anywhere in the US having something that can be readily assembled at same address means you are presumed to be controlled by the net assembly -- simply having your caliber change kit at same address is "constructive possession" and the registrant, not MPD, is responsible for insuring that the registration card is accurate. It is best to request multiple caliber designation or if they are doing it, "9mm and .22 cal"

Make the request and let us know what they say. Ask toi speak to a supervisor if you get hit withresistance since the lower eschelon in that office is not exactly informed.

Thanks for that! Can you help clarify what it is I should be asking LT Hall for?

And should I elevate my issue to him? Everyone else I spoke to when I was doing my initial registration said it wasn’t doable. I even asked if I could re-register the gun so I have two registrations under the same frame for different calibers.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Your best bet when dealing with MPD is to get answers from Lt. Hall. I have gotten bad info from other people at MPD a few times.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks for that! Can you help clarify what it is I should be asking LT Hall for?

And should I elevate my issue to him? Everyone else I spoke to when I was doing my initial registration said it wasn’t doable. I even asked if I could re-register the gun so I have two registrations under the same frame for different calibers.

just drop him a note with the truth.

You are considering getting/bringing into DC a .22 conversion to make target practice more affordable while keeping your ability to use 9mm for home defense mode. Ask tat your registration for that gun to be updated to be a) "9mm and .22" or b) "multiple caliber."

chen t

May 20, 2020
    just drop him a note with the truth.

You are considering getting/bringing into DC a .22 conversion to make target practice more affordable while keeping your ability to use 9mm for home defense mode. Ask tat your registration for that gun to be updated to be a) "9mm and .22" or b) "multiple caliber."

Thanks! I sent him a note stating such. Will let everyone know what we hear

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Seems like many initially missed the part he said "DC MPD"
    Unfortunately anyone people needing that info may not read through 3 pages before getting the correct info.....

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Your best bet when dealing with MPD is to get answers from Lt. Hall. I have gotten bad info from other people at MPD a few times.
    LT Hall is no longer at gun registration section. He got promoted and transferred. FYI

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    I'm a little unclear what you are talking about. You took the gun to the mSP for the transfer? The serial number is on the frame once they get the serial number go ahead and do whatever you want with a caliber conversion. The 7 day wait is standard and I haven't heard of any hold ups on that since the 2013 debacle.
    You are talking about MD, DC is difference. When you register your gun or apply for the conceal carry, you have to follow the policy ,if not your ccw will be revoked. For example: carry your pistol without holster or hollow point ammo is a violation. Don't ask me why, this is their policy

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    That's so weird.

He just approved a rifle for me yesterday that was mistakingly denied back in September and I've been working on its approvel with him since then.

He never mentioned any promotion and moving on.

Where'd he go?

chen t

May 20, 2020
    That's so weird.

He just approved a rifle for me yesterday that was mistakingly denied back in September and I've been working on its approvel with him since then.

Where'd he go?

See what he says. If not, I’ll just keep the 22 exchange and ammo in VA.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Seems like many initially missed the part he said "DC MPD"
    Unfortunately anyone people needing that info may not read through 3 pages before getting the correct info.....

In their defense, I later added “DC MPD” to try to clarify after I realized others though I was referring to MD.

Unfortunately it was too late for me to edit the title to say “in DC”. Partially my fault for not clarifying. Thought posting in the DC section would make it clear’

chen t

May 20, 2020
    You are talking about MD, DC is difference. When you register your gun or apply for the conceal carry, you have to follow the policy ,if not your ccw will be revoked. For example: carry your pistol without holster or hollow point ammo is a violation. Don't ask me why, this is their policy

Hollow points are illegal in DC? Or is this just for conceal carry?

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    When did hollow points become illegal?

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    That's so weird.

Where'd he go?

He did not know until yesterday. Where he going? Can't tell you. Sorry

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    He did not know until yesterday. Where he going? Can't tell you. Sorry

That’s a big bummer. He’s pretty much the only one I’ve ever interacted with there that has any idea what is going on, provides correct answers, and is effective and moving past inevitable delays because your xyz file fell on the ground. Perhaps he was running the shop too efficiently for the likings of higher ups.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    That’s a big bummer. He’s pretty much the only one I’ve ever interacted with there that has any idea what is going on, provides correct answers, and is effective and moving past inevitable delays because your xyz file fell on the ground. Perhaps he was running the shop too efficiently for the likings of higher ups.

Well hopefully LT Hall clears this up or forwards it to someone knowledgeable there to handle. If not, I’ll just keep the conversion kit in VA until I get out of this screwed up city.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Well hopefully LT Hall clears this up or forwards it to someone knowledgeable there to handle. If not, I’ll just keep the conversion kit in VA until I get out of this screwed up city.

Got a response from Captain Hall who is now over at 2nd District

“ I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I have been transferred from the Firearms Branch and my replacement and new POC is Lieutenant Michael O’Harran.

To answer your question, you can have a firearm with multiple calibers (different barrels). You would need to either have this noted on your PD 219 application at the time of registration or submit an update form noting that you have barrels in these calibers which you intend to use.

Going forward Lt. O’Harran will be the person to contact for any future issues/ or questions.”

I’ll be reaching out to Lt. O’Harran to do an update. Already picked up the pistol and nobody new that I could plead my issue to when I picked it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom