• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    It's not the price, its finding it. I can afford the new ammo, I just can't really find any rifle ammo anywhere.

Plus to be honest, I have wanted a 7.62 rifle for a good while.

I've been finding good ammo deals on gunbroker. You have to be patient. I work in IT, so I'm home all day and can monitor auctions.

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena
    It's not the price, its finding it. I can afford the new ammo, I just can't really find any rifle ammo anywhere.

Plus to be honest, I have wanted a 7.62 rifle for a good while.

Field Traders in Pasadena has an SKS and 7.62x39 last time I checked. Might be worth inquiring.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    While we’re on the subject, which Century Arms are the ones to “stay away” from, again?

And why?

I ask as I have a line on a “Made In USA” Century Arms, Inc. (Georgia, VT USA) C39 pistol in 7.62x39 “MM” that the receiver is as I understand it, forged. I may have that wrong and am going to have to find out if it is instead actually MACHINED ... or milled?

Now, wondering if that has anything to do with the “MM” appearing immediately after the caliber (7.62x39) designation ...?

I can ask seller for the Serial No if that will help ...

ETA: seller (a clay target league bud) sent me photo of first portion of Serial No and it is prefix: 39WM-0004XX ... if that helps ....

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    While we’re on the subject, which Century Arms are the ones to “stay away” from, again?

And why?

I ask as I have a line on a “Made In USA” Century Arms, Inc. (Georgia, VT USA) C39 pistol in 7.62x39 “MM” that the receiver is as I understand it, forged. I may have that wrong and am going to have to find out if it is instead actually MACHINED ... or milled?

Now, wondering if that has anything to do with the “MM” appearing immediately after the caliber (7.62x39) designation ...?

I can ask seller for the Serial No if that will help ...

ETA: seller (a clay target league bud) sent me photo of first portion of Serial No and it is prefix: 39WM-0004XX ... if that helps ....

If it's a C39v2, I found mine to be well-built and accurate. I sold it, because you cannot SBR that model in Maryland. I would avoid the first gen C39s.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    If it's a C39v2, I found mine to be well-built and accurate. I sold it, because you cannot SBR that model in Maryland. I would avoid the first gen C39s.

Thanks. I didn’t see any “V” anywhere on the outside of the pistol - nothing other than the “C39 Pistol”

Any idea how I might know if this is other than Gen I? Or were the “V” guns all rifles?

I mean, are the Gen It’s the ones that were imported or ... some other way? Pistol in question was bought new in 2015-16 as I understand it ... seller is looking through his receipts now.

OP, ‘‘twas not (and ‘tis not) my intention to “derail” your thread; hopefully this info may be of use to you, in your hunt ...

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    Thanks. I didn’t see any “V” anywhere on the outside of the pistol - nothing other than the “C39 Pistol”

Any idea how I might know if this is other than Gen I? Or were the “V” guns all rifles?

I mean, are the Gen It’s the ones that were imported or ... some other way? Pistol in question was bought new in 2015-16 as I understand it ... seller is looking through his receipts now.

OP, ‘‘twas not (and ‘tis not) my intention to “derail” your thread; hopefully this info may be of use to you, in your hunt ...

Just above the magwell, it will say C39v2. If it just says C39, it's a version one.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I’m heavy into x39 ammo with 2 rifles- an SKS I’ve had for 17 years and an AK (Saiga conversion) I’ve had for 16 years. Both are fun, but neither are the most accurate rifles I own. I guess it depends on how you’re shooting, offhand I can hit a 12” plate at 100 fairly reliably, but nowhere near as consistently as I can with many others I already own. I took both out in the past 2 months which was the first time in years, but right now I’m sticking to .22.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Something to keep in mind is the early Ruger Mini 30's had a LOT of feeding and accuracy problems. I do not know if they fixed it or not. If you go that route stay away until you research it.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Do you have an AR15? You could always save some $$$ and buy a 7.62x39 upper and mags, spending the rest on ammo. I have a 7.62x39 upper, and its pretty accurate and once I got decent mags, and a heavier firing spring (a couple bucks), it fed, and fired the cheap Russian ammo fine. Not my primary upper for my AR, but by popping 2 pins, I can shoot cheaper ammo at the range.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    7.62x39 shooters are fun! Ammo is typically easy to find and not extraordinarily expensive. Recoil isn't bad. And the power is well above the threshold for hunting deer in state of Maryland.

I've had a Chinese SKS, PSA KS-47 gen 1, M+M M10x-z, and CZ 527 in 7.62x39. I got rid of the M10x-z because there were points in the design in which I was concerned it could fail and the company was incredibly hard to communicate with from the beginning when I had an issue with the rifle. The KS-47 also had issues, that I've posted about on MDS, but I've always received good customer service from PSA (such that in the end I was satisfied with their response when I requested they fix/take care of something - with the KS-47 I fortunately had another option as described below).

The KS-47 is a joy to shoot on the range. There are plenty of YouTube videos on it, with a number of mods people have made. PSA also will periodically release them in batch. They're typically not in stock for months, and then in stock for a week or two. Set an alert with PSA or gun (dot) deals if interested in one. As noted in the thread, you may need your MD LGS to place the order for you.

A couple of pics of mine below from a range day with the M10x-z. My KS-47 was also worked over by Clandestine, such that it not only seats variety of mags without issue, but the rifle was obsessively gauged (as Clandestine does) to get it to Soviet spec for 7.62x39 (AK Mag Release, Mags, and Firing Pin Protrusion). He also upped the buffer to an H3 (and put in a Tubb's flat spring). At the bottom are pics of the work he did on the KS-47 bolts. The bottom, polished one (gorgeous work), is a gen 1 bolt that came with the gun, and the top, gen 2 bolt, hadn't been worked on when the pics were taken. I like the rifle a bunch, and am also keeping an eye out for gen 2 rifle availability.
    cf7000089977970a4671065f331a95af.jpg
    76f7f7dce5d08cdd045aebeac72dee8e.jpg
    d930b6962db3c7533aeb323ccb8a8291.jpg
    7a8029fa068cdecc0d6c4a5a7a081b6b.jpg
    cdc67b47b268272b7bbfffe70811d074.jpg
    6b199077a7176249df5b8a685adb6d3c.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The SKS is generally a pure range blaster play. Despite what you've heard, they are not very accurate, and the limitation of a 10rd fixed mag hurts.

I'm not a big guy for AK pistols, especially with the way braces are these days. But it is probably the better of your two options for now. I personally would pick a Zastava PAP M92 over the PSA, but your choice.

A dark horse option to look at is the PSA KS-47 gen2. You take your chances with PSA's QC, but I think it's going to be your best option below $1000, short of finding a really cheap used Sig 556R.

Depends on the SKS. Not that I’ve played with dozens, but most seem to be 3-4MOA in good shape with irons. That’s generally AK with irons territory.

Beating the YouTube dead horse, most of the AK vs SKS accuracy comparisons I see end up being fairly equivalent also.

An AK setup for accuracy (good parts, good attention to detail) with good quality Ammo can be a 1.5MO gun (I’d believe 1MOA, but I’ve never seen that). An SKS with similar attention to detail can also be the same. I’ve personally seen accurized SKS that managed in the 1.2-1.4MOA range with good Ammo and high repeatability (bit just cherry picking a group).

My personal Norinco is about 1.5MOA with the right ammo. But most steel is 3-4MOA with Tula ringing in at about 5. Really likes Wolf Mil classic and Hornady steel case SST. Those will do 1.5MOA. The former with a flier every once in awhile that’ll make every other 5 shot group more like 3MOA. The Hornady SST steel case is earned consistent at about 1.5MOA with no fliers.

Groups will walk and open up once it heats up a bunch. Probably bedding the stock would tame that some, but it doesn’t shift more than 2MOA after about 30 rounds and group sizes only open about 25%.

It’s actually more accurate than my 16” AR-15. Kinda just need to build a whole new upper for that AR at some point (Hornady Black 75gr shoots about 2MOA out of my 16” AR or slightly better and nothing else does better than about 3MOA. Though I recently worked up a handload shooting Armscor 62gr that manages a little under 3MOA and I might be able to tighten that up some more with careful tweaking of the load. Actual match bullets might get it down under 2).

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I'm pretty excited about the whopping 2 boxes of GECO brass M43 I just bought for my VZ58, so I can shoot it indoors at Guntry... 34c/rd isn't awful for brass 7.62x39 pre pandemic/election/2020.

It's pretty good from past buys, closer to 2MOA out of the Howa mini, 3 MOA out of the VZ58.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Speaking of 7.62x39 M43...

Brass case of this caliber is now substantially cheaper than new 223...

I like to replenish whenever I can. Never had M43 in brass before though... Bought a big case for 50c/rd, and can now shoot it at Guntry indoors

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom