• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Amazing how stupid democrats can be! Every single store owner and store clerk in Philly needs to start carrying a gun and defend themselves.

If they aren't already one must wonder why, as they clearly feel unsafe thus the bullet proof glass in the first place. But then again I believe this falls into the category of you get the government you deserve, as I can't imagine that at least some of these legislators that vote for this couldn't have been elected without the support of the store owners and local business leaders.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That bullet proof glass is ugly and depressing. I'm pretty sure nobody would put it in their store unless they really needed it.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    What was their stated purpose for doing this anyways?

It is more about selling items that are of a gray area . Pipes , roses, glass pens, chore boy, blunt wraps and other items used to get high with are being sold by store owners who hide behind the glass while there is some one loitering around to sell them the drugs . The police agency that issues carry permits in Philly is the chief of police as there is no sheriffs department . Considering the mayor is a democrat who appoints the chief of police the ability to carry as a resident of Philadelphia is almost non-existent. But go outside the city and Philadelphia county it is 20 dollars and no questions asked after about a 3 day wait. Many will get their LCTF and some body armor then start taking out the trash.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I think the council woman who is pushing this should be required to work night shifts at each one of the PRIVATE store owners establishments across the city before the proposal moves forward

aps410

Dec 10, 2015
    Howard County
    There seems to be more to this story so i did some googling and found this block of quotes from the council woman who proposed the legislation.

"Would you feel safe with an illegal liquor store next door to you, selling shots of cheap booze at 10 a.m. to loitering alcoholics? That’s what my bill debated last week by a City Council committee is about. Unfortunately, the bill has been mischaracterized by the people who run those stores – people who are exploiting a loophole in state law and hurting the neediest neighborhoods in Philadelphia.

[…]

Unfortunately, 'stop-and-go' outlets – which are now trying to rebrand themselves as 'beer delis' – have popped up in many poor neighborhoods in Philadelphia. They sell bottles of beer to drink off premises and shots of liquor for people to drink on the spot. Oh, and they also sell candy-flavored cigarillos to get kids hooked on smoking and big boxes of cold medicines that can be turned into street drugs, but they don’t sell much else.

[…]

Legally, the city cannot regulate alcohol sales. But it can set standards for restaurants, and outlets must maintain restaurant licenses to keep their liquor licenses."

Sure, "loophole" :sad20:

It seems to me this is a band-aid bill to try and force these business owners to stop, or should I say fear, operating a successful business model rather than address the issues that make their business model viable.

I also find it scary that even means of non-violent defense are not safe from the grabbers.

quotes were obtained from:
    https://www.snopes.com/2017/12/12/philadelphia-bulletproof-glass-racist/
    The article is mostly rubbish except for these quoutes, but feel free to read it anyway.

Original article (behind a paywall so I only got a glance of it):
    http://www.philly.com/philly/opinio...f-glass-beer-delis-city-council-20171211.html

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I give those merchants a lot of credit for even operating in some of those neighborhoods! Let the "good" councilwoman do a month of Saturday 1700-0200 shifts in one of those shops and then give us a report.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Nobody should have "security privilege."

Except the rightfully privileged -- politicians, Hollywood, media, and crony capitalists.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Plexiglass is racist.

The underlying issue is that the city can't stand the fact that Asians actually run businesses and make money in the shitty parts of their town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom