• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK, I am considering as, a Birthday/Christmas present to myself, putting together a Piston upper to use on my M16.

I do run suppressors so, I need to consider that.

Here is what I am considering:

- Standard Key Hole marked stripped upper receiver
    - Adam Arms piston conversion kit
    - Some sort of carbine length handguard (Must clear piston setup)

The question is how short of a barrel should I go? I have always had DI setups so, this would be my first piston driven upper. Because I run cans a lot of manufacturers set minimum barrel lengths so, I am going to stick to that but, am not sure if DI and Pistons can be setup the same.

Are there any considerations when choosing parts (other than a handguard that will clear the piston system itself).

I am considering a 10.5" 5.56 barrel with a 9" handguard.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    can't help you with bbl length or working with a can, but 340 defense range (between berryville and charles town) had (maybe still has) a full auto with lwrc piston upper on it that ran and ran and ran.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    can't help you with bbl length or working with a can, but 340 defense range (between berryville and charles town) had (maybe still has) a full auto with lwrc piston upper on it that ran and ran and ran.

Cool, thanks for the info. I am hoping it will cut way down on blowback gases to my face. I am a left handed shooter.

Dave

pjleduc

Feb 23, 2011
    Owings Mills
    I just went with an Adams complete upper. I bought the 11.5 base kit, and then I installed a Magpul MOE SL handguard on it. I am a left handed shooter as well and have no problems with brass in the face, and with the gas block set on the suppressed setting there isn't too much excess gas when I shoot it suppressed. I would imagine their P Series uppers would be similar in performance and they come with a handguard that goes over the gas block: http://www.adamsarms.net/p2-upper-5-56-115

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive been leaning towards the Wolf A1 which is basically a "domesticized" T91. Didn't realize what it was at first but across the board its a military grade upper at a reasonable price. Id go for this before something truly proprietary and commercial like Adams.

Best price vendors are between $499 and $599 not unreasonable.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Cool, thanks for the info. I am hoping it will cut way down on blowback gases to my face. I am a left handed shooter.

Dave

Stag Arms prices are as low as I've ever seen them. I shoot their left handed uppers suppressed to keep the blowback away from my face.

I usually don't like gear that is not commonly stocked and easy to source, so I make sure I have a few extra BCG's.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Stag Arms prices are as low as I've ever seen them. I shoot their left handed uppers suppressed to keep the blowback away from my face.

I usually don't like gear that is not commonly stocked and easy to source, so I make sure I have a few extra BCG's.

check out adcor defense it a Baltimore based company .

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gas Piston in an AR is a downgrade unless you are operating in an over the beach application (weapon submerged and shot immediately)

You are better off with a SLR adjustable gas block or a restricted port barrel for dedicted suppressor use than a Gas Piston Conversion.

Sounds like you have made up your mind on Gas Piston though.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Gas Piston in an AR is a downgrade unless you are operating in an over the beach appliaction (weapon submerged and shot immediately)

You are better offf with a SLR adjustable gas block or a restricted port barrel for dedicted suppressor use than a Gas Piston Conversion.

Best advice ^^^^^^^

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Does any one know if their are any one piece piston setups similar to AK's?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. But the AK is a "long stroke" piston design. The only long stroke piston design for an AR is made by Primary Weapons Systems.

Also, the PWS piston and carrier is essentially one piece, and very much like an AK design.

PWS doesn't sell kits. They only sell complete guns and complete uppers (in a variety of barrel lengths). But it still might be a good choice for the original poster.

The PWS guns and uppers are very high quality (very reliable and accurate, machined/finished well, work fine with full auto and suppressed guns, etc.). The online reviews are great. But they are also expensive and you rarely see used ones for sale (uppers or complete guns).

They come stock with a gas block that is easily adjusted for use with and without suppressors (and different quality ammo).

I have shot piston guns from a variety of manufacturers, but I am far from an expert. That being said, PWS are my favorite piston guns.

7A38

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Best advice ^^^^^^^

Ditto. Coming from the AK before AR world I used to be all about piston guns and over time came to appreciate the simplicity, effectiveness, reliability and low maintenance of DI guns. A gas system just isn't necessary in a well maintained rifle. DI, clean it, in a jam it will run on motor oil..........

Personally, only reason I am considering the Wolf A1 is it is a proven battle rifle design with a military history and really an additional gun on top of a well stocked stable of DI rifles.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD

I have considered this as well. After my Piston upper experience I will look at building a lefty upper.

Dave

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Gas Piston in an AR is a downgrade unless you are operating in an over the beach application (weapon submerged and shot immediately)

You are better off with a SLR adjustable gas block or a restricted port barrel for dedicted suppressor use than a Gas Piston Conversion.

It is more of an "I am board and looking for something to do" type of build. Already took care of upgrading my 92FS and working on building a 1911 from an 80%. Have most of that done.

Next I think I will build a lefty upper.

Dave

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    It is more of an "I am board and looking for something to do" type of build. Already took care of upgrading my 92FS and working on building a 1911 from an 80%. Have most of that done.

Next I think I will build a lefty upper.

Dave

Bored? Here is project for you! Build a dual barrel AR15 with left and right ejecting, 2 mag wells, one trigger. Use a binary trigger to fire in sequence......right barrel pull.....left barrel release. You can figure out the minor mechanical details. That should keep you busy for a while. And when you get that done, perhaps look at an integrally suppressed model that uses one large can for both barrels. :)

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Bored? Here is project for you! Build a dual barrel AR15 with left and right ejecting, 2 mag wells, one trigger. Use a binary trigger to fire in sequence......right barrel pull.....left barrel release. You can figure out the minor mechanical details. That should keep you busy for a while. And when you get that done, perhaps look at an integrally suppressed model that uses one large can for both barrels. :)

Interesting challenge. I actually picked up a binary trigger to play with just because....hhhhmmmmmmm. :innocent0

Dave

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Here you go. Something like this. Perhaps you can find an 80% lower.

Attachments

• gilboa_snake_double_barrel_ar-15_1.jpg
      gilboa_snake_double_barrel_ar-15_1.jpg
      97.2 KB · Views: 226

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads