Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:29 PM #1
jaybee's Avatar
jaybee jaybee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I ain't comin down outta this tree
Posts: 4,693
jaybee jaybee is offline
Senior Member
jaybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: I ain't comin down outta this tree
Posts: 4,693
New or used AR-15

after years of fighting the urge, I am about to bite the bullet.

I have some 223/556 ammo and I figure I'd better buy an Ar-15 before they get banned.

I have used a M16 in the military so I am familiar with them

my hunting days are past and this will be an occasional paper shooter and I got other guns for fun so I don't want to put a lot of money in it.

so should I buy new or used??

new, I figure 5 to 9 hundred. Used I have no idea and I prefer not to buy thru the mail/internet.

what do used AR-15's go for and If somebody has a decent - cheap used AR-15 in 223/556 send me a PM.

BTW - I do have a 1973 Glenfield marlin 60 22LR that has been thru a lot of hands and jams like a SOB that I could offer as a partial trade or maybe sell outright for repair or parts
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:40 PM #2
fidelity's Avatar
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 15,887
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
fidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 15,887
If you can find a new Windham HBAR for $700 or less, that's what I would recommend to friends. The Ruger 556 HBARs are priced a little less and likely solid builds.

Then spend $200 on a SOTAR Armorer's class to get it up to spec.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
Post nubes, lux
fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:40 PM #3
Ranchero50's Avatar
Ranchero50 Ranchero50 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 4,522
Ranchero50 Ranchero50 is online now
Senior Member
Ranchero50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 4,522
New are less than used currently. < $600 OTD for Ruger's etc.
__________________
MAGA: Less Noise, More Music
Ranchero50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:46 PM #4
iH8DemLibz's Avatar
iH8DemLibz iH8DemLibz is offline
When All Else Fails.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Libtardistan
Posts: 24,497
iH8DemLibz iH8DemLibz is offline
When All Else Fails.
iH8DemLibz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Libtardistan
Posts: 24,497
Buy used.

Like 15-20 years old used.

They were built much, MUCH, better back then.

Now it's quantity over quality.
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:47 PM #5
inkd's Avatar
inkd inkd is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridge
Posts: 5,065
inkd inkd is online now
Senior Member
inkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridge
Posts: 5,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
after years of fighting the urge, I am about to bite the bullet.

I have some 223/556 ammo and I figure I'd better buy an Ar-15 before they get banned.

I have used a M16 in the military so I am familiar with them

my hunting days are past and this will be an occasional paper shooter and I got other guns for fun so I don't want to put a lot of money in it.

so should I buy new or used??

new, I figure 5 to 9 hundred. Used I have no idea and I prefer not to buy thru the mail/internet.

what do used AR-15's go for and If somebody has a decent - cheap used AR-15 in 223/556 send me a PM.

BTW - I do have a 1973 Glenfield marlin 60 22LR that has been thru a lot of hands and jams like a SOB that I could offer as a partial trade or maybe sell outright for repair or parts
Where are you located? I've got two that I will be listing in the classifieds shortly.

They are not cheap, but they are solid rifles and they both have optics on them.

Last edited by inkd; November 9th, 2017 at 07:29 PM.
inkd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:11 PM #6
GottaEat GottaEat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SOMD
Posts: 305
GottaEat GottaEat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SOMD
Posts: 305
If you are only going to have one, I would go with the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit.

http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit

Then a decent lower. I just got a Spikes Snowflake color filled receiver (from B.B. Pawn)and it’s great quality. With a lower parts kit it’s less than $200.

The Larue kit with trigger and furniture is about $800

A little more than you want but I think it’s worth it.
GottaEat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:54 PM #7
squaregrouper's Avatar
squaregrouper squaregrouper is online now
Vote SG For King
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pikesville, Peoples Republik Of Marylandistan
Posts: 8,090
Images: 1
squaregrouper squaregrouper is online now
Vote SG For King
squaregrouper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pikesville, Peoples Republik Of Marylandistan
Posts: 8,090
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
If you can find a new Windham HBAR for $700 or less, that's what I would recommend to friends. The Ruger 556 HBARs are priced a little less and likely solid builds.

Then spend $200 on a SOTAR Armorer's class to get it up to spec.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
MDS IP JLowesGuns has HBAR's for $599.
He is in Northeast- just off I-95, just past Susquehanna/Toll plaza
__________________
.
Nothing posted on this forum should be considered legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, I advise you to seek your own counsel. Hell, I'm not even a lawyer, but this got your attention.
squaregrouper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:58 PM #8
Nnztg8r's Avatar
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
Nnztg8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregrouper View Post
MDS IP JLowesGuns has HBAR's for $599.
He is in Northeast- just off I-95, just past Susquehanna/Toll plaza
I can highly recommend both JLowes and the Windham Weaponry.
__________________
I endeavor to be but half the man my dogs believe me to be.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:16 PM #9
Blaster229's Avatar
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 29,094
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
Blaster229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 29,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaEat View Post
If you are only going to have one, I would go with the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit.

http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit

Then a decent lower. I just got a Spikes Snowflake color filled receiver (from B.B. Pawn)and itís great quality. With a lower parts kit itís less than $200.

The Larue kit with trigger and furniture is about $800

A little more than you want but I think itís worth it.
Then you pay him the difference of what he wants to spend. Christ.
__________________
Do the do's. Don't do the don'ts.
Blaster229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:32 PM #10
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23,973
outrider58 outrider58 is online now
Senior Member
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23,973
If you are in Md, used won't be that old in all likelihood. Not older than 2013 anyways. Make sure you get a hell of a price on it, otherwise, buy new.
outrider58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service