• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Does the gas plug turn normally for removal (clockwise to tighten/ counter clockwise to loosen), or is it opposite? Looking to replace the gas plug to shoot a wider variety of 30-06 ammo. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I have researched briefly on the subject, and it is looking like 150-180 grain bullets, and checking the burn rate of the powder. This was with the factory gas plug. The ported gas plugs allows some to full capabilty of using higher weight bullets. Still researching.....

Q

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I have researched briefly on the subject, and it is looking like 150-180 grain bullets, and checking the burn rate of the powder. This was with the factory gas plug. The ported gas plugs allows some to full capabilty of using higher weight bullets. Still researching.....

Q

http://garandguy.com/ (732) 388 1962
    Call Garand Guy

one of the best.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I installed a GarandGear plug several years ago, and use 150grain Remington CorLoc or Winchester 150 grain basic hunting ammo. Very good accuracy, the rifle works as advertised. Mine rifle is a James River rebuild, with new barrel and all new springs, it works well.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Dont forget to grab a new OP rod spring when you order your plug. They're cheap insurance to help make sure the rifle cycles smoothly, the bolt returns to battery and doesn't contact the rear of the receiver. Sometimes you can even see where the front of the receiver gets battered in worst case scenario at the lug where the hole for the barrel has been bored through.
    A rifle with a worn spring will develop problems quickly if the spring is not right. Look for flat spots kinks twists and bends on the spring. There is a spec for length but I cant remember it off the top of my head.
    I have a GG plug that I use with some G spec handloads for hunting, it works but adds to many clicks to the elevation knob to be completely satisfactory to me. It has proven to help with the consistently of the load in one rifle but I rarely use it anymore for general shooting.
    Well, I do not use it all anymore preferring to just load with 4895 or 4064 but I still recommend the spring from a reliable source like Orion 7 or the like.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Check this out. I have one on my M1A so I can shoot 175gr SMKs. It works really well. Open the set screw, shoot, then tighten until it cycles reliably. This will make sure you don't go over pressure because you're only using enough pressure to cycle the rifle. Since it's parkerized it'll match the rifle also, instead of being silver.

Also look into getting a gas cylinder wrench. It holds the gas cylinder in place so when you remove/replace the gas plug your not putting stress on the gas cylinder.

Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug with Wrench M1 Garand Steel Parkerized

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...s-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom