• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    All,

To those who have gone through the M1 CMP process in MD, I have a few questions on the process and paperwork.

- On page 2A, do I need to have it notarized?

- Is there a 4473 needed to be filled out (although page 2A is similar to questions on the 4473)?

- Do they leave the rifle if no one is home, or leave a note?

- Does MD allow CMP to deliver straight to someone versus and FFL or State Police?

All the recent posts on the M1s from the CMP has gotten me interested. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    All,

To those who have gone through the M1 CMP process in MD, I have a few questions on the process and paperwork.

- On page 2A, do I need to have it notarized? Yes

- Is there a 4473 needed to be filled out (although page 2A is similar to questions on the 4473)? No

- Do they leave the rifle if no one is home, or leave a note? Leave Note

- Does MD allow CMP to deliver straight to someone versus and FFL or State Police? Yes

All the recent posts on the M1s from the CMP has gotten me interested. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

._

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks George,

Does the rifle show up in the rifle case only, or the rifle case inside a box?

Q

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Case inside box.

At least mine did.

They come FedEx Ground, and you must sign for them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The rifle's ship in a plain box, "Adult Signature Required." They will leave a notice if no one is home.

You can set up an account with Fed Ex which allows you to have packages held for pick up. This is a good alternative if you can't be home to receive the package.

By their own rules, they are supposed to hold the package at a facility where it can be locked up, and they will do that if they realize there's a rifle in that plain brown box.

I've had a number of rifles and pistols held in this way. Sometimes I've picked them up at the regular Fed Ex store in Owings Mills, when their system didn't realize the package contained a gun. I know I've picked up at least two Garands there, probably more. Other times I've had to pick up in Frederick, but I don't think any of those were from the CMP.

--------

Yes, the order form takes the place of the Form 4473. They do run a NICS background check on you before shipping. Their Congressional charter allows them to ship directly to you.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I think your questions have mostly been answered but get the page notarized where required and the rifle will be delivered in a hard case in a box to your address. I have ordered two rifles from cmp and both have been great. If you have more questions I would be happy to help you through the paperwork. Enjoy your new M1!

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I don’t think they send tracking numbers but you can login to the E-store and check. You should get a email saying they got your order and it’s being processed, it’s the infamous DBU email - Don’t Bother Us! Once you get that you will be able to log into the e-store and watch your order progress. They will update it and you’ll be able to see a tracking number and the serial number of your M1. If you haven’t created a account with them you can do so now. Here a link to the e-store. http://estore.thecmp.org

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I don’t think they send tracking numbers but you can login to the E-store and check. You should get a email saying they got your order and it’s being processed, it’s the infamous DBU email - Don’t Bother Us! Once you get that you will be able to log into the e-store and watch your order progress. They will update it and you’ll be able to see a tracking number and the serial number of your M1. If you haven’t created a account with them you can do so now. Here a link to the e-store. http://estore.thecmp.org

They emailed me a shipped notice with tracking numbers on my last order in December of last year.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I have them delivered to a Walgreens and pick them up at my leisure. Fedex will let you change delivery location.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    the Cmp has stated all 1911's will go to a ffl01 only- they don't' want to navigate individual state laws.

Dang. Still worth it to get my hands on one. Now let’s hope that a C&R will cover it. I suspect I am going to have to finally get my HQL if I want to get one. :mad54:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seeing as any US Mil 1911 is minimum of 72yo , no question of them being C&R . ( ok , except for USMC Spec Ops weapons , but none of those will be goung CMP.)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    An HQL is not required for ANY handgun 50 or more years old. The exemption is right there on the Form 77r.

Well yay! I guess for some reason I was thinking there might be some limited issue 1911s that the military may have. I guess it just reinforces how damn old the Barreta 92 is.

I wonder if with a C&R license and FFL transfer you could skip the 77r entirely so I don’t have to do the stupid two trip dance.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I wonder if with a C&R license and FFL transfer you could skip the 77r entirely so I don’t have to do the stupid two trip dance.

If you have a so-called "C&R License," then you ARE an FFL. That's what it is, a Federal Firearms License - 03 - Collector of Curios and Relics.

So yes, you may import eligible firearms, including beat-up 75 - 100 year old pistols across state lines, from sellers in other states, and Maryland has nothing to do with it. You are a Federal Firearms Licensee.

However, you can only do that if the seller, say Joe Doakes in Idaho, is willing to do it that way. The CMP will assuredly NOT be willing to do it that way. They will ship to an 01 FFL Dealer, and you can fill out the Maryland Form 77r, checking off the exemption from the HQL, and pick up your old worn out mixmaster beater in 7 days. Thus the stupid "two trip dance."

You can still shop around on Gunbroker or auctions or other out of state sources, such as Joe Doakes in Idaho, and with some effort and research, you can get a better deal on a better pistol in better condition, and import it with your own 03 FFL.

Do a search on these CMP 1911s. DrmSparks has posted some wise words regarding them: you can expect them to be high-priced, beat up mixmasters, which you purchase sight unseen, luck-of-the-draw, no returns, take what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom