• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipd

May 20, 2017
    understanding twist rate and its relation to what ammo is appropriate in your gun will allow you to make informed ammo choices for all of your firearms in the future. it's an important thing to know. i recommend you do some research. if you buy ammo that is too heavy, it will tumble. if you buy ammo that is too light, it will disintegrate.. on the extreme end. at the very least, you will be having to dial your sights in for any ammo that isn't ideal. ammo isn't cheap. knowing a little math and physics can save you from expensive, inappropriate purchases.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    understanding twist rate and its relation to what ammo is appropriate in your gun will allow you to make informed ammo choices for all of your firearms in the future. it's an important thing to know. i recommend you do some research. if you buy ammo that is too heavy, it will tumble. if you buy ammo that is too light, it will disintegrate.. on the extreme end. at the very least, you will be having to dial your sights in for any ammo that isn't ideal. ammo isn't cheap. knowing a little math and physics can save you from expensive, inappropriate purchases.

Knowing a little math and physics can also cause expensive and inappropriate purchases. :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Observation.

New member.

Two posts.

First, asking where to get cheap (read as inexpensive) ammo.

Second. Acknowledges information given. Disappears.

Is it just me that noticed this?????? :shrug:

Observation: he started an intro thread last night too. Bought a rifle from an IP here (JLowes) after doing his homework on MDS. Seemed to have good manners.

Conclusion: you're reading too much into it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

haewon922

Jun 13, 2017
    Rockville
    Thanks for so much information on my question.
    I ended up ordering my ammo from Freedom Munitions thanks to Andrew who
    answered my question within minutes! I am very glad to be in a such active community:)

haewon922

Jun 13, 2017
    Rockville
    your barrel's twist rate and length is what determines what ammo you want. if you have a 1:9 twist rate, with a 18" barrel, 55 gr is appropriate. make sure you know your twist rate when you go ammo shopping. if you have a longer barrel, less twist is needed to stablilize your bullets, but not by much. if you search the forum for this stuff you will find a wealth of info.
    Hi chipd,

I am a big physics enthusiast. Thank you for pointing out the importance of the twist and barrel length.
    There are so many variables to count for ideal ballistics and I hope to soon reach that ultimate zen to keep them under control!

haewon922

Jun 13, 2017
    Rockville
    Are there a lot of Laura in South Korea?
    Hi Schipperke,

I love the picture of your dog! I have a Pomeranian/Schipperke mix
    and he looks very similar to your thumbnail.
    Laura isn't a common name in Korea of course; I liked a girl when I was in Boston University
    and named the gun after her.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm a big fan of PMC 55-grain .223 for my 1:9 twist barrel. Good stuff and I've never had an issue. Cases can usually be had for ~$300

I've heard good stuff about Wolf Gold too.

I use gunbot.net to look for the best price per round
    http://gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/223/

WildBill

May 7, 2017
    I'm a big fan of PMC 55-grain .223 for my 1:9 twist barrel. Good stuff and I've never had an issue. Cases can usually be had for ~$300

I've heard good stuff about Wolf Gold too.

I use gunbot.net to look for the best price per round
    http://gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/223/
    I pretty much only shoot wolf gold now. It's Taiwanese surplus loaded to true M193. I believe the Pentagon actually bought some 300 million rounds from them back during desert storm. Almost always back of 30cpr and I've actually never had a malfunction. As far as I'm concerned, it's gtg.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I pretty much only shoot wolf gold now. It's Taiwanese surplus loaded to true M193. I believe the Pentagon actually bought some 300 million rounds from them back during desert storm. Almost always back of 30cpr and I've actually never had a malfunction. As far as I'm concerned, it's gtg.

Agreed. Wolf Gold is the way to go for range ammo. Why do anything else? Freedom Munitions is fine. Their .223 that are NOT reloads are amazingly accurate.

You will do fine with their reloads as well. Go out and shoot and have fun.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Wolf Gold is the bomb. Cycles in every gun of mine and is sufficiently accurate. Much better than PMC Bronze. Usually available for 30 cpr somewhere. Target sports USA and the armory.net are good sources. If you need less than a case, go with sgammo.

Wolf Gold is the bomb. Cycles in every gun of mine and is sufficiently accurate. Much better than PMC Bronze. Usually available for 30 cpr somewhere. Target sports USA and the armory.net are good sources. If you need less than a case, go with sgammo.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/wolf-gold-223-ammo-ammo-can.html

OP- I was at my first Paebaek a few weeks ago for a good friend born in Seoul. The biggest thing I learned is Soju is truly The Devil's Water.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    +1 more for Wolf Gold. I stayed away from it for a while because I had bad experiences with Wolf WPA steel ammo. I'm honestly not even sure that they are the same company. Gave it a shot in my own little accuracy test at 100 yards with my wylde barrel and found that it outshot far more expensive ammo.

In regard to an earlier post about Wolf Gold being surplus...it may be loaded to perform like military ammo but it is .223 cambering and doesn't have crimped primer pockets so it's the better of pretty much all worlds compared to surplus.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    +1 more for Wolf Gold. I stayed away from it for a while because I had bad experiences with Wolf WPA steel ammo. I'm honestly not even sure that they are the same company. Gave it a shot in my own little accuracy test at 100 yards with my wylde barrel and found that it outshot far more expensive ammo.

In regard to an earlier post about Wolf Gold being surplus...it may be loaded to perform like military ammo but it is .223 cambering and doesn't have crimped primer pockets so it's the better of pretty much all worlds compared to surplus.
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along, but as far as I know, Wolf doesn't produce anything. They seem to mostly work out long term arrangements with actual producers. Wolf Gold .223 is produced in Taiwan, whereas any other Wolf Gold cartridges (most of the other cartridges of the gold line seem to be discontinued) could be produced at any number of other plants/arsenals/whatever you call a place that makes ammo. Wolf polyformance, steel, and .22 match ammo all seem to be produced wherever Wolf can get long term contracts. Some of their stuff seems to be produced at various locations in Russia, some in Eastern Europe, etc.

I shoot wolf gold, WPA, steel, etc mostly in .308, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and .223, and haven't had major issues with any of it. I do run adjustable gas blocks on my ARs whenever possible though, and on one or two guns I will have to increase gas flow a click or two to get 100% reliability out of the steel and WPA loadings. I mostly shoot the steel stuff with bimetal jackets out of commie guns or ARs that have nitrided barrels and BCGs, but that is probably about as effective as wearing the same lucky underwear for every game during playoff season. I mostly do not buy their handgun ammunition since indoor ranges often ban it, but if I had an outdoor range I shot at regularly that didn't care, I would probably buy lots of it for non target purposes.

For the most part the possibility of increased wear in ARs and other non communist guns seems worth it to me as long as the POI shift isn't enough to affect training value at 25 yards and in. It is just so much cheaper than the brass cased stuff, especially in .308.

Back on topic, I love Wolf Gold. Of the cheap brass cased 55 grain M193-ish stuff available, it seems to be the most accurate out of the guns I own. I have never been a huge fan of M855-ish ammo, so the increased cost of it over M193-ish seems doesn't seem worth it, particularly given that ranges I shoot at don't like it (indoor and steel). Also outside of hog eradication, I am not a big fan of M855's terminal ballistics, having been spoiled by brown tip ammo my entire deployed career.

As always, your mileage may vary. Especially if you don't use adjustable gas blocks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Theoretical physics of twist rate number crunching in an interesting sub-hobby in itself. But the quick simplified answer is a 6721 ( and 1:9 generally) will work fine with 55gr up thru most 69gr, at least until sub-MOA becomes a meaningful part of the conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom