• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Was wondering what should I expect out of my hunter sport? I've owned it for about 7 years. I've shot it not tons,but I've never had any confidence in it. From 20yards I can usually pattern within 6". Is that as good as it gets for this price point? I'm a good enough shot..IMO. I've tightened the scope mounts. I'm not done with it but would just hope it could do better.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    2 things.

try lots of pellet weights. especially if its going supersonic with off the shelf wally world pellets. going transsonic messes with stability. trying heavier and heavier pellets reduces velocity and you may find a sweet spot.

#2, you cannot hold an springer air rifle like a normal rifle. that same recoil that kills scopes, also kills your hold. try the "artillery hold". its a method that allows the rifle to recoil in a controlled way, attempting to produce results that are consistant.

air rifles are said to require a significant amount of break in before accuracy can be gauged.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Thanks. Its past broke in. I'll try this "artillery" style you speak of. I've a lot of shooting with pumps but this is my first springer.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I've used primarily gamo pellets. PBA,hunter magnum, blue and red poly tipped,max penetrator. I did buy a pack of crosman value pellets. Subsonics seem the most consistant.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I owned a gamo for about 4 hours, took it back due to lack of accuracy.

When you shoot a "springer" you don't want to have a firm hold on the air rifle. You open your support had and just sit the rifle on in, don't pull it into your shoulder either or grip hard with your trigger hand either.

You're trying to take yourself out of the equation, similar to sitting the rifle on top of a sand bag and doing nothing except pull the trigger.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    ...try lots of pellet weights. especially if its going supersonic with off the shelf wally world pellets. going transsonic messes with stability. trying heavier and heavier pellets reduces velocity and you may find a sweet spot...

This. No two types of pellets will shoot the same, even from the same manufacturer. You need to find the model of pellets your air-rifle likes, same as your regular rifles.

I don't know if he's still around, but look up Charlie Da Tuna's triggers for Gamo rifles. They are the bee's knees. I think the model is a GRT III, or something like that. You'll have to follow the trigger finger rule strictly. They can be set low enough to go off as soon as you touch them.

EDIT: Found the website. Looks like he has a new model out as well.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    That looks good. Now I'm gonna end up down this rabbit hole too. I guess guys that use springers for hunting g-hogs and rabbit seem to always use blinds and stands to retain accuracy.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Pellet selection followed by hold seem to be the two things that keep a pellet from being consistent. I have a Gamo Big Cat that would send a flyer 1 of 6 shots shooting Crossman or Gamo stuff and I recently upgraded to a RWS Model 48 for $200. The 48 is about twice the weight of the Gamo and still had flyer's about 1 of 10 shots. I ended up doing a 3 for the price of 4 ammo deal at Pyramid and picked up the heavier RWS ammo and while it's not blowing holes through 1/2" plywood like the lighter stuff was it's also halved my strike circle at 40'.

I haven't figured out how to do the artillery hold yet and still keep the accuracy up. The RWS with a 4-14 scope gets heavy quickly.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Artillery hold is essential for a springer; that's what sells the Nitro cylinder guns.

Took me about 3 weeks to get it down, now I shoot wadcutters from 44 yards as my usual practice. It took my daughter a solid year to get the artillery hold - a lot of faith required.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    That's what I figured but usually once the round fires the scope is pointing up and to the left of my original POA and the pellet is within 4" of POA at 40'. I am left handed and typically shoot off a rest seated with my right hand under the butt of the stock. With my right hand in front of the trigger on the fore grip it's about the same just more deviation. When I hold it firm with the same hand positions it's still pointing where I aimed it and the groups are under 1".

I'm sure I'll have an aha moment and it'll all come together.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Great video. But I'm surprised to hear that a hand rest could be more stable than a sand bag. It seems that a cloth-covered sand bag would allow the rifle to recoil more so than would the grip of the skin on a palm. I'll have to give "artillery hold" a try at the range.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I bought a Gamo 1250 rifle (cant remember exactly which one) and played with it and it was accurate sometimes, but not consistent. I'm gonna give it another try with what I've read in this thread. Maybe throw some different pellets on my amazon wishlist. I can definitely see where I went wrong. Glad I read this thread. Its so cheap to shoot, why not? If I can shoot a can from across the street consistently I'd be pretty satisfied.

One thing I have picked up is that the scope needs to be zeroed way more often if you want to keep that soda can accuracy. From 10 yards mine changes by 6 inches when I put it away for a month or two. That doesn't really bother me. The thing just sits in my basement and comes out for a camping trip once in a while or to goof off at a buddies house.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I bought a gamo a few years ago. The whisper model.

Accuracy is only fair and zero sound suppression.

Bought my kids Benjamins. Cant remember model. Nicer. Wish I had bought one for myself.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Update:
    I've tried the artillery hold. Its very hard to manipulate the trigger. I've gone to pinching with the trigger guard. Accuracy is better,considering it needed a new zero. Still don't think its gonna be a tack driver. It's a work in progress I guess. Thanks for the help again. Glad this post helped others..that's really what its for right?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    One thing I have picked up is that the scope needs to be zeroed way more often if you want to keep that soda can accuracy. From 10 yards mine changes by 6 inches when I put it away for a month or two. That doesn't really bother me. The thing just sits in my basement and comes out for a camping trip once in a while or to goof off at a buddies house.

Yes, a rimfire scope is not appropriate for a break barrel springer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Any gun with the scope mounted on one part of the gun and the barrel a separate moveable part will have some variations from shot to shot because the barrel does not return to the exact same spot each time. A difference of 0.001" (one thousandth of an inch) becomes noticeable when multiplied by the range the shot travels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom