• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tkdiver1

Aug 2, 2013
    Hello
    I moved to MD in August of 2013. One of the handguns I brought with me from Delaware was a NAA 22lr mini revolver. I know that it is currently a banned handgun but was it banned before October 1 2013? Am I legal to have it or do I need to give it to my brother who lives in Virginia?
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    As far as I know they can't be sold here because they aren't on the handgun roster. If you established legal residence before 10/1/13 you don't need to do anything, if after 10/1/13 you have to register it with the State Police.

That's my understanding of this BS law anyway.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    No it isn't "banned" per se. Just banned from being sold or offered for sale within the state. You are fine to keep it. Generally speaking and probably oversimplifying, the only things actually totally banned from possession are "assault rifles" acquired w/o a purchase order post-10/1/13, and pistols on the "assault pistol" list (like Mac-10's) that weren't registered by their sunset date way back in the day. Since your move was before 10/1/13 you don't need to register it either. I am not a lawyer, yada, yada, yada.....

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Isn't that a model without a trigger guard? If yes, it's not likely to be accepted on the roster either. I spoke with one person on that board at one time and they brought up that particular feature, lack of trigger guard, as something that the board would be against in any model.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    No it isn't "banned" per se. Just banned from being sold or offered for sale within the state. You are fine to keep it. Generally speaking and probably oversimplifying, the only things actually totally banned from possession are "assault rifles" acquired w/o a purchase order post-10/1/13, and pistols on the "assault pistol" list (like Mac-10's) that weren't registered by their sunset date way back in the day. Since your move was before 10/1/13 you don't need to register it either. I am not a lawyer, yada, yada, yada.....

The thing that scares me is the fact that some of us older guys own firearms bought way back when you didn't need to register them and nobody cared about proof of purchase. Someone was selling a firearm at a show or in the newspaper. You paid them cash and you got a firearm. Now we own "banned" rifles and pistols and have absolutely no proof of purchase or ownership. What happens when we're at the range or wherever and someone questions what we have? That's plain scary.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What happens when we're at the range or wherever and someone questions what we have? That's plain scary.

The burden of proof is on the state. The laws aren't so much to hunt down people without paperwork as they are to stop future sales. Proof of a sale last month or last week is what the state would need in court, not the simple fact you have it now.

You don't have to prove you have possessed it, they have to prove you recently purchased it, illegally.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    No, it's never happened to me per se but I have been approached by your average Joe before informing me that my rifle that I've had for well over 20 years was "illegal". I've also been approached and told that my use of 30 rd. magazines was now illegal. My worry is that some idiot takes my license plate number, calls the police and says that I'm up to no good, the police show up at my house at 3am and now I have a huge mess to sort out even though I've done absolutely NOTHIING illegal. In todays environment, I think that's a legitimate concern.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I have a vague memory about the NAA pistols and any other pistol that doesn't have a trigger guard being a no go in Maryland. I could have been smoking banana peels that week but seem to remember due to looking at Derringer style pistols that had trigger guards and what that was all about.

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    I was carrying my glock 21(on my own property=legal) in my overalls back pocket due to a recent loss of chickens to foxes and random dogs. A concerned citizen called the pg police who threatened to charge me with "brandishing" and demanded to see my permit. I kindly pointed the officer to his MD law book, particularly 4-203 section B #6. I demanded a supervisor and the officer walked away and made a call. He promptly left after his backup arrived and decided to actually check the law. I tried to not to be a smartass about it.

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    No, it's never happened to me per se but I have been approached by your average Joe before informing me that my rifle that I've had for well over 20 years was "illegal". I've also been approached and told that my use of 30 rd. magazines was now illegal. My worry is that some idiot takes my license plate number, calls the police and says that I'm up to no good, the police show up at my house at 3am and now I have a huge mess to sort out even though I've done absolutely NOTHIING illegal. In todays environment, I think that's a legitimate concern.

Don't pay any attention to people that say your 30 round magazines are illegal in Maryland. You just can't buy them in Maryland after Oct. 1, 2013. In fact, Maryland residents can buy them in other states and bring them back to Maryland for their own use. Just don't sell or transfer them to another person as that is illegal under the so-called "Firearms Safety Act of 2013".

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, you're good to go since you already own it from when you lived elsewhere. They are not banned here. They simply cannot be sold here, including transfers.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Just curious, isn't the NAA 22LR/22mag mini-revolver called the "Earl" Model 1860 with a 4 inch barrel, on the handgun roster. It does not have a trigger guard, either.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's on the roster, supposedly as a one-time favor to a politician way back when. Expect a swift kick to your jewels if you try to get another one on the roster. I am very tempted to try, though, even if I lose money. Would love to have one in .22 Short.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The BGOS is strong today!

The NAA revolver is not banned. It just can't be resold. You are not required to "register" it.

"They" are perfectly aware that there are many, many perfectly legal handguns in Maryland which are not in the Database of Transfers. There is no general requirement that handguns be "registered" in Maryland. If you want to enter them into the Database of Transfers, you have the option to do a voluntary registration, but it's not required.

Only new residents, since 10/1/13 are required to register. This is a big departure from past requirements.

Fact is, Maryland's Database is such a patchwork hodgepodge that it really is not a true, systematic, exhaustive Registry.

No one is going to demand proof that your handgun be "registered", because there is no such requirement here.

Same reason no LEO is going to demand proof that you're wearing a red polka-dotted jockstrap. Not required.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My late wife bought one of those in .22LR back around the 1980's or so in MD. I took it to the range and found that even when bracing it against the barrier at On Target I could not get it to group even at 7 yards. I made her sell it before she even got to shoot it. Was really only good when you had direct contact with a perp in my book. In which case having a big caliber 2 shot derringer was a lot more practical.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I know its not really practical, but I want the longest barrel NAA 1860 with CVang grips.

I still kick myself for not buying one when I lived out of state.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm going to just throw something out there that I haven't researched, but that I think is correct: If you can find one of the old pre-1985 Freedom Arms mini revolvers, it may be legal to purchase in Maryland since it pre-dates the Handgun Roster law which, IIRC required handguns to be on the roster if manufactured after Jan 1, 1985. IANAL

Don't really know why anyone would want one except, perhaps, novelty...however, I can remember when these first came out I thought one of the 'belt buckle guns' might be kind of cool to have.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Bear in mind that they also make a black powder version...which is completely unregulated. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom