• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Many many years ago I went to buy my first shotgun and I was at sports authority. As I was looking I was listen to a guy talk to the sales person and say " I want a shotgun that can throw as much lead as fast as it can at deer". I thought he was just joking around with him. But as the years went on and I sit listen to all the shots going off around me it makes me think that he was telling the truth. I have never shot at a deer more then once but as I sit out there, I can hear what sounds like people unloading their gun at a deer and the worst part was I heard it a couple times during youth season. What happen to 1 shot 1 kill?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Could be hunters shooting at running deer. Which is why I think drives can be bad. You get running deer and a bunch of guys in a row shooting at them. May take a few down, but how many are hit and keep running and no one bothers to try to track them? Now, get someone to gently bust the deer up, and let them run a ways till they stop running, and start milling about. Patience, and they may just walk to your position and stop and start grazing.

I may get desperate, but I will never shoot at a running deer. I won't shoot at a spot of brown that I can tell is a deer either. I had 1 opening day, it was getting dark and hard to make out, but was still legal hunting time. I want to see where I am shooting the deer!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Could be hunters shooting at running deer. Which is why I think drives can be bad. You get running deer and a bunch of guys in a row shooting at them. May take a few down, but how many are hit and keep running and no one bothers to try to track them? Now, get someone to gently bust the deer up, and let them run a ways till they stop running, and start milling about. Patience, and they may just walk to your position and stop and start grazing.

I may get desperate, but I will never shoot at a running deer. I won't shoot at a spot of brown that I can tell is a deer either. I had 1 opening day, it was getting dark and hard to make out, but was still legal hunting time. I want to see where I am shooting the deer!

Obviously, you learned your Hunter Safety Teachings well unlike some other people. "Never shoot until you ID target tip-to-tail", Never place your finger on the trigger until you have ID'ed your target and what's beyond and are actually ready to shoot, and the rules regarding the ethical hunter and marksmanship.

I don't believe most actually 'throw as much lead as they can' thesae days, but unfortunately there are some who do. Throwing 'a lot of lead' doesn't come close to guaranteeing a kill much less a quick humane kill.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    You must have been at GRSF this weekend too. :lol2:

I was in the woods and I heard repeated shots and for a split second I thought I was within earshot of the shooting range, then I remembered I was in a spot some friends took me that was several exits away on 68. I'd hear a high power rifle and then 3 or 4 follow up shots pretty regularly. You hear it at night even. I've been there for opening day probably 5 times now and never killed a deer either.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, that is a little assuming. Did you actually witness it? Do you know if the person shooting was actually hunting and not target shooting, or just pissed off at the squirrels? I killed 8 deer one morning, and while I would love to brag that I shot 8 deer with one single shot, that just wasn't the case. Not only that, but one of the does that had dropped in her tracks was actually alive when I came up on her. The retard I was hunting with tried to cut her throat and that was a mess, so I shot her again in the head. I've shot 2 or 3 deer in a group on several occasions.

Now, we are passing judgment on people sight unseen based upon hearing shots out in the woods. Sounds good.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was on public land Sat on the eastern shore and once out of about 20+ shots I heard a guy take a string of 3. Adjacent property owner was shooting what it sounded like a handgun (uncool) but the string of 3 was definitly on the public land property. Some people have no scruples (did I spell that right?), you find that in every sport (are there people who do curling who are jerks too? )

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I was on public land Sat on the eastern shore and once out of about 20+ shots I heard a guy take a string of 3. Adjacent property owner was shooting what it sounded like a handgun (uncool) but the string of 3 was definitly on the public land property. Some people have no scruples (did I spell that right?), you find that in every sport (are there people who do curling who are jerks too? )

Imbeciles, morons, idiots, jerks, and POS are found in any large group of anybody. Even priests and nuns. Idon't doubt there are people out there that pick up their deer gun the morning of the hunt, have not shot it since last opening day, have not hunted since last opening day, and they head out the door and don't think twice about wounding an animal or taking a shot when conditions are not good.

Thing is, I had almost the exact same thing happen to me goose hunting but I was the recipient of it. My buddy and friend called a bad shot and knocked down nothing but sky with his first shot. I had a house behind the geese, so I held off until one peeled out of the group and flew right over the blind. I missed the first shot, but knocked it down on the second shot. Started to swing on another goose at about 40 yards and my buddy yells "Don't do that". I pulled the trigger anyway but my mind was off of making the shot and I stopped my swing. I shoot Hevi-Shot BB for the first two shots and Hevi-Shot T shot for the third shot. I've killed geese out to 50, even 60 yards, and do it consistently. However, to most people shooting like that is "unethical". Taking a 500 yard shot on deer is "unethical".

End of the day, a lot of this all comes down to the hunter's equipment and the hunter's ability. One time, at band camp, I was walking through the woods and jumped 8 deer out of a thicket. I killed two of them as they were running away. The shots were about 30 yards and 40 yards with sabots. My brain went into wingshooting mode and I just swung the gun and pulled the trigger as I got right in front of the deer. Most deer hunters, that do not hunt much other than big game, need the deer to be standing completely still to make the shot.

End of the day, it all depends.

Until I see it with my own eyes, I don't try to prejudge. Imagine what the antis think when they hear bang, bang, bang if we ourselves view the hunter that did that as unethical, sight unseen. Personally, I'd like to think he just filled his freezer, his parents' freezer, and his in-laws' freezer. Lucky SOB. Antis think the guy just shot a white dove, a unicorn, and Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Yeah, that is a little assuming. Did you actually witness it? Do you know if the person shooting was actually hunting and not target shooting, or just pissed off at the squirrels? I killed 8 deer one morning, and while I would love to brag that I shot 8 deer with one single shot, that just wasn't the case. Not only that, but one of the does that had dropped in her tracks was actually alive when I came up on her. The retard I was hunting with tried to cut her throat and that was a mess, so I shot her again in the head. I've shot 2 or 3 deer in a group on several occasions.

Now, we are passing judgment on people sight unseen based upon hearing shots out in the woods. Sounds good.

Is this directed at me? Where did I pass any judgement on anyone??

If you're talking to me, you're absolutely right. I did assume it was the shooting range at first. I have no idea what the person was doing Im just saying I heard a bunch of shots and thought I was near the shooting range and then realized I wasnt. I obviously didnt witness it or I would have said I did and known for sure what it was. I'm not passing judgement on anybody.

Funny squirrel story though... I went camping there this year and got my license so I could squirrel hunt and walked that whole place and didnt see a single squirrel. This weekend I was sitting in the woods hoping for a deer and there were so many squirrels that one almost jumped over my hand as I was sitting down with my arm rested on a log. It was bad enough coming home again without a deer, if I came home after four days in the woods bragging about a squirrel it would have just been embarrassing... :lol:

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    There are duck hunters on the property adjacent to the one I hunt. Multiple hunters with multiple shots are common and duck season overlaps with youth day.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I think its one of two things. People are just throwing lead down range at a running deer, or people are shooting mutliple deer. My best morning was 4 deer with 4 shots in 2 minutes.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you're hunting public land during firearms season in Maryland, what sounds like full-auto fire is fellow sportsmen saying you've wandered into "their" hunting area.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Is this directed at me? Where did I pass any judgement on anyone??

If you're talking to me, you're absolutely right. I did assume it was the shooting range at first. I have no idea what the person was doing Im just saying I heard a bunch of shots and thought I was near the shooting range and then realized I wasnt. I obviously didnt witness it or I would have said I did and known for sure what it was. I'm not passing judgement on anybody.

Funny squirrel story though... I went camping there this year and got my license so I could squirrel hunt and walked that whole place and didnt see a single squirrel. This weekend I was sitting in the woods hoping for a deer and there were so many squirrels that one almost jumped over my hand as I was sitting down with my arm rested on a log. It was bad enough coming home again without a deer, if I came home after four days in the woods bragging about a squirrel it would have just been embarrassing... :lol:

Actually was not meant for you. More meant for the OP and others that assume just because they hear 3 or 4 shots, it must have been somebody shooting 3 or 4 times at a single deer.

I hear you about the squirrel hunting/deer hunting. Crazy thing is, one day I stand hunted for deer and saw more squirrels than I had ever seen in my life. Then, a little while later I was squirrel hunting for the first time ever and was walking through the woods while doing it. Could not find a single squirrel, but saw plenty of deer. So, now I squirrel hunt from a stand and deer hunt by stalking. Just kidding, but seriously. The morning I killed 8 deer, I was merely walking through the woods. Have yet to actually kill a squirrel. Don't know what I would do with it after I kill it.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Killed a few deer that way. Practice makes perfect.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom