• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Exactly what the title says. I am writing a paper and I need some quotes supporting that the founding fathers had this in mind for 2a.

I know they exist but I can not seem to find them right now. Thanks.

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    My signature is one :)

*** When any nation mistrusts its citizens with firearms, it is sending a clear message. It no longer trusts its citizens because the government has evil plans - George Washington ***

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I need quotes SPECIFICALLY mentioning rebellion against tyranny with weapons. I know they exists, but I can not find them.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    "Come and take them"?
    molon labe?

it has to be something I can use to basically say...

you can say that 2A text is about a militia but here the founding fathers clearly say that it is indeed to fight off a tyrannical government.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson

"Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms...The right of the citzens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard, against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible." - Hubert H. Humphrey

Samuel Adams said, "That the said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."

From Patrick Henry, (who wrote: "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.")
    we hear,
    "It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains."

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed -- unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    - James Madison

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    - President Thomas Jefferson

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?"
    - Patrick Henry

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

"Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle(384-322 B.C.)

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.” – Thomas Jefferson

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” – Thomas Jefferson

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” – Thomas Jefferson

“When all other rights are taken away, the right of rebellion is made perfect.” – Thomas Paine, Dissertation on 1st Principles of Gov., 1795

“Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.” – John Adams

“This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.” – Abraham Lincoln

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. - Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms. - Thomas Jefferson

The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. - Thomas Jefferson

**EDIT** Cougar beat me to it!

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    A son of Holocaust Survivors dissents

Judge Alex Kozinski (now Chief Judge) of the United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, wrote:

"All too many of the other great tragedies of history – Stalin’s atrocities, the killing fields of Cambodia, the Holocaust, to name but a few – were perpetrated by armed troops against unarmed populations. Many could well have been avoided or mitigated, had the perpetrators known their intended victims were equipped with a rifle and twenty bullets apiece, as the Militia Act required here. … If a few hundred Jewish fighters in the Warsaw Ghetto could hold off the Wehrmacht for almost a month with only a handful of weapons, six million Jews armed with rifles could not so easily have been herded into cattle cars.

My excellent colleagues have forgotten these bitter lessons of history. The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do. But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed – where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Fortunately, the Framers were wise enough to entrench the right of the people to keep and bear arms within our constitutional structure. The purpose and importance of that right was still fresh in their minds, and they spelled it out clearly so it would not be forgotten.”

Judge Kozinski (who’s parents were Holocaust survivors) was writing in dissent from denial of a rehearing en banc in Silveira v. Lockyer, 328 F.3d 567 (2003). The Supreme Court of the United States endorsed his views. See District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008). http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf and McDonald et al v. City of Chicago, Illinois ET a, 561 U.S. 3025 (2010) http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf wherein at p.1 the Supreme Court said “the Second Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms … .”

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country." --Adolf Hitler,

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State."
    - Heinrich Himmler, Hitler's SS leader

"All Jews are to be disarmed. In the event of resistance they are to be shot immediately."
    - Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Propaganda Minister

"One man with a gun can control 100 without one. Make mass searches and hold executions for found arms."
    - Vladimir Lenin

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We wouldn’t let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"
    - Joseph Stalin

"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves."
    - Joseph Stalin

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party."
    - Mao Zedong

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    "Forty years ago, when the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually, by totally disusing and neglecting the militia."

George Mason

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom