• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Lots of folks in free WV do it. They are also much more casual about firearms left in vehicles.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Making it hard to access is the main part of MD's handgun transport regulations. There's more to it than just in an approved holster. You are getting ready to get arrested and loose your guns if you don't understand that part.

While I don't disagree that the lawmakers intent is exactly as you said, the law doesn't state you have to have the gun in the trunk or a locked case, only a "enclosed holster". Unless there is a MSP clarification somewhere, the law is only as it is stated. Like most of the terrible guns laws in MD, Interpretation will vary depending on whatever police officer saw the installation and may or may not end up with the driver in handcuffs. There are a lot of anecdotal claims out there about loaded mags in the car qualifiying as a loaded gun, guns themselves in the passenger compartment, etc being unlawful but the law itself states very little. Everyone has to chose for themselves how cautious they want to be.

I am NOT in any way saying that someone should do this unless they have a CCW, in fact, my statement is that this is just plain useless (and high risk) in this state unless you have a CCW. The law does state specifically that you can't transport a handgun unless you are going to/from a range, shop, or collection showing, so yet again, there is a burden of proof that any non CCW holder will have to show if they have a handgun in the car. If you are a jerk to a cop or they are just in a bad mood that day there is a real possibility that you could end up in cuffs and have to prove that you had the gun in the car legally.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We agree on that.
    You pissed because I chimed in with actual real life experience about gun carry in a vehicle and it contradicted your no life gun carrying car experience? Or are you pissed because I mentioned nothing about about being or not being cited for a traffic violation during those stops?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    In my years of working the street, I have never "went crazy" when seeing a gun on the seat of a vehicle.

In my years getting pulled over while having a pistol in my seat, cops or Troopers have never gone crazy drawing down on me during a stop.

So there's that. I am sure most, if not all cops on the forum would say the same.
    So"edited" now is the new cop bashing instead of bashing. Why type edited when you can just not make a post?

You have your opinion I have mine.
    Too bad so sad.
    We agree on that.
    You pissed because I chimed in with actual real life experience about gun carry in a vehicle and it contradicted your no life gun carrying car experience? Or are you pissed because I mentioned nothing about about being or not being cited for a traffic violation during those stops?
    Cage Match!!!!!!!!!

:D

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    :innocent0

Attachments

• science.jpg
      science.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 79

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    If the OP was asking the question as a CCW permit holder in MD, it looks to be a practical solution which may work in being more comfortable with better access while driving.

For the rest of us While driving in MM, IMO, this is illegal transport of a regulated handgun, loaded or unloaded.

(Bold mine)

Check on a state by state basis. If your permit is not valid in Nebraska, for example, this is legal and required whereas glove box/console/out of sight is verboten. Cross into Colorado, and glovebox/console is legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom