• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiddentrixx

Sep 17, 2017
    Montgomery County
    I guess you can't say it is illegal in Maryland.. Because as long as the bullets aren't in the magazine your fine in Maryland correct?

Doesn't anyone here have or feel comfortable having a holster attached inside your car like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170916-160521.jpg
      Screenshot_20170916-160521.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 420
    • Screenshot_20170916-160536.jpg
      Screenshot_20170916-160536.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 404

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    I guess you can't say it is illegal in Maryland.. Because as long as the bullets aren't in the magazine your fine in Maryland correct?

Doesn't anyone here have or feel comfortable having a holster attached inside your car like this

I don't think this is a good idea, if you have CCW, carry inside or outside your waistband. If you don't, leave it in the trunk. When you leave your gun in plain view like that, no matter you loaded or unloaded it, only you know it, but when you get pull over for any traffic violation Cops don't know whether loaded or not. You put yourself in a harm way.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Being a lefty, I like it. It would be harder to defend the drivers side if you couldn't draw from the right.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I don't think this is a good idea, if you have CCW, carry inside or outside your waistband. If you don't, leave it in the trunk. When you leave your gun in plain view like that, no matter you loaded or unloaded it, only you know it, but when you get pull over for any traffic violation Cops don't know whether loaded or not. You put yourself in a harm way.

Ever tried to draw with your seat belt on?

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    That's a very clean look. I have to agree with ZOOPAL though. As jumpy as the police seem these days I'd be afraid it would scare them to the point that they would overact. But it does look good!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've seen people use them as a secondary holster, where they place their CCW in it as they get into the car, and return it to their belt holster when they get to where they are going. IMO transferring a pistol between holsters in uneccesary, there are techniques to draw when seated, it's safer, and less conspicuous if you end up parking in a busy parking lot. Obviously leaving an unsecured firearm visible in a car is all but guaranteed to get it stolen.

Mini14Tom

Nobody in particular.
    Aug 4, 2013
    East Frederick Co.
    If the OP was asking the question as a CCW permit holder in MD, it looks to be a practical solution which may work in being more comfortable with better access while driving.

For the rest of us, IMO, this is illegal transport of a regulated handgun, loaded or unloaded.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Your car is not a holster. If you're going to carry a gun, keep it on you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Put or lay it anywhere in your car you like. Secure the crap in your back seat so it doesn't bang you on the grape if you come to a sudden stop.
    I tuck mine under my thigh in a soft holster.
    Driving through the city, it's on my lap.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If a gun is visible then you might have a gun in the hands of a nervous police officer pointed at you if you are stopped. And I don't blame the officer for caution, you might think it is for speeding but it may be because you match the description of a BOLO shooter.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If a gun is visible then you probably will have a gun in the hands of a nervous police officer pointed at you if you are stopped. And I don't blame the officer for caution, you might think it is for speeding but it may be because you match the description of a BOLO shooter.

In my years of working the street, I have never "went crazy" when seeing a gun on the seat of a vehicle.

In my years getting pulled over while having a pistol in my seat, cops or Troopers have never gone crazy drawing down on me during a stop.

So there's that. I am sure most, if not all cops on the forum would say the same.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In my years of working the street, I have never "went crazy" when seeing a gun on the seat of a vehicle.

In my years getting pulled over while having a pistol in my seat, cops or Troopers have never gone crazy drawing down on me during a stop.

So there's that. I am sure most, if not all cops on the forum would say the same.

Edited.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If the OP was asking the question as a CCW permit holder in MD, it looks to be a practical solution which may work in being more comfortable with better access while driving.

For the rest of us, IMO, this is illegal transport of a regulated handgun, loaded or unloaded.

I believe that one could make an argument that this is transporting the handgun in an enclosed holster which would make it legal assuming it is unloaded. The problem for non handgun licensees would be if you weren't driving to/from a range, shop, or collectors showing (if a certified collector) it is not legal to have a handgun in your car in any way.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I believe that one could make an argument that this is transporting the handgun in an enclosed holster which would make it legal assuming it is unloaded. The problem for non handgun licensees would be if you weren't driving to/from a range, shop, or collectors showing (if a certified collector) it is not legal to have a handgun in your car in any way.

Um, no. Go straight to jail, do not collect $200.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Um, no. Go straight to jail, do not collect $200.

Here is the excerpt from the law:

"if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster"

Yet again, MD law doesn't define what an enclosed holster is, but these installations are certainly in a holster. I wouldn't want to be the test case for this but by the wording a case could be made.

The whole idea is pointless anyway if you can't have it loaded or at least easy access to a mag.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Here is the excerpt from the law:

"if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster"

Yet again, MD law doesn't define what an enclosed holster is, but these installations are certainly in a holster. I wouldn't want to be the test case for this but by the wording a case could be made.

The whole idea is pointless anyway if you can't have it loaded or at least easy access to a mag.

Making it hard to access is the main part of MD's handgun transport regulations. There's more to it than just in an approved holster. You are getting ready to get arrested and loose your guns if you don't understand that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom