• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    After watching that video, I wouldn't have a Browning lever action on a bet! Jeez, my Marlin 39 takes about 5 seconds to strip and about the same to put back together. I can't even imagine trying to clean that Browning out someplace.

I think I'll keep looking for a used Marlin 39 or a bolt action something. Even the video I saw on youtube on taking down the Henry wasn't near that bad.

Well should you come across one I'll trade you my 1948 Ballard rifled barrel for it. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's great and I prefer it over the microgroove BUT I love most anything Browning.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Fair, very fair.

If you happen to come across two, in your travels, I would appreciate a second notice. Thank you in advance.

To be honest it's collector value was destroyed probably years ago. Someone drilled and tapped a side mount to it and removed the rear sight. I removed the scope mount and put a vintage Lyman or Redfield peep on it. Shoots beautifully, accurate and cycles with precision. :thumbsup:

3aremine

Nov 6, 2017
    I love how smooth the action is on the Henry. The weight is great as an adult. Not sure about for a kid. The model I shot I really hated that I couldn't have my cheek down tight on the stock to look down the sights. As a kid i believe it would be even worse.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Try a Browning BLR-22 if you can find one. One model is physically smaller for younger shooters. Faster to shoot than a Henry because the lever stroke is 1/3rd shorter. Trigger is heavier out of the box and a gunsmith needs to work it over if you want to lighten it.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm buying a .22 rifle for the granddaughter, age 8, and I'm thinking of a Henry. I've looked for an old marlin, but they are scarce and I've been told the Henry's are a nice rifle.

Anyone here have any real life experience with the Henry Brand? How easy are they to clean/strip? I like to clean from the breach end.

Thanks.

How about a Mossberg 801 Half Pint bolt Action? Shorter length of pull, 1/2 pound lighter, (4lbs) $100 less. Can use the 802 plinkster 10rd magazine. I'd bet more accurate too.

38227-catalog.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    I have a henry golden boy 22, and browning bl-22. I find the short throw on the bl-22 super fun, and very fast.

Both have held up well, but still in their first 1000 rounds each.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a henry golden boy 22, and browning bl-22. I find the short throw on the bl-22 super fun, and very fast.

Both have held up well, but still in their first 1000 rounds each.

If I wasn't full up Id snag one. That's a hell of a deal and nickel may seem weird now but bet its ultra cool down the line.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If I wasn't full up Id snag one. That's a hell of a deal and nickel may seem weird now but bet its ultra cool down the line.
    I agree. I have the regular BL-22 (grade 2) which people want to go shop for after they try - very nimble handling, accurate, and well engineered. I keep looking at this page at CDNN for the nickel one. Great price.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    How about a Mossberg 801 Half Pint bolt Action? Shorter length of pull, 1/2 pound lighter, (4lbs) $100 less. Can use the 802 plinkster 10rd magazine. I'd bet more accurate too.

38227-catalog.jpg

If I were going to get a bolt it would be a Remington 582. I have some Mossbergs but I see them as cheap compared to some of the others.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    i was going to recommend this model also. i had a blr in 308, my first hunting rifle. super smooth action. best part was the trigger travels with the lever so no pinched fingers.

Get what you pay for, Browning is a cut above so be prepared to come off the hip. :)

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

No_comment

Oct 19, 2013
    I agree. I have the regular BL-22 (grade 2) which people want to go shop for after they try - very nimble handling, accurate, and well engineered. I keep looking at this page at CDNN for the nickel one. Great price.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Agree. Totally fun to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom