• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Tried to search in this, didn't get much... Was wondering if someone knowledgeable could help me out.

I've got a Howa 1500 short action with a Howa bull barrel that I'm putting together, it's kinda ridiculous - barrel outer dim is basically the same from chamber on down, that's how thick this thing is. First time I've owned anything with explicit owner's manual verbage instructing on the proper barrel break in process. This is basically the same as what I've seen others quote - shot, clean, shot, clean, 10 rounds this way, then start doing pairs. Basically takes 25 shots in all.

Is this truly needed in a barrel made in 2017? Not asking cause I'm lazy, perfectly willing to follow directions, just surprised that this is necessary. If this is indeed necessary, can the solvent used be Hoppes or CLP, or do I need something specialized?

Sidenote - this is for something guaranteed not to shoot past 500yd ever, does it matter?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you ask 10 bbl makers / gunsmiths/ competitors/ extreme accuracy buffs/ etc , you will get 25 different answers .

Greatly simplified :

Probably don't *need* to .
    Definitely won't hurt anything .
    ( If you do have meaningful bbl roughness issues, you would eventually wish to bore lap . )

IF you do care to partake of the enumerated break in process, the concept involes taking bore down to bare metal between shots. A copper specific solvent would aid in that.

If it is a serious accuracy bbl, you don't want to use steel jacketed bullets ever.
    If it is a serious accuracy bbl, you don't want to overheat it ever . ( High temps increase rate of throat errosion . Throat errosion is the bottle neck ( pun accidental ) of extreme accuracy degrading to "only" minute of deer accuracy. )

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    That was extremely helpful, thank you!

Comment on steel jacket down the bbl got me thinking... Here is a related question:

My Howa is 7.62x39 M43, 0.311 bore. I have a lot of M43 around for my VZ58, wanted to use some of that in a bolt... Also have nicer Hornady but obviously the majority is Wolf, Golden Tiger, etc.

Using Wolf predominately on paper, will I RUIN the opportunity for the rifle to be accurate with whatever passes for nicer M43 IF I want to go with that sometimes? Accurate meaning the best anyone could reasonably do with that caliber specifically. Is that even answerable?

What I'm getting at is if this caliber is accurate enough to justify exclusive use of nice M43, which eliminates all the cheap imports and makes this whole thing less competitive than 308 price-wise.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Define your personal parameters of " accurate " ?

Big difference between sub 0.5moa vs " more accurate than average SKS " ?

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Define your personal parameters of " accurate " ?

Big difference between sub 0.5moa vs " more accurate than average SKS " ?
    I am personally incapable of doing better than 1MOA with anything at this time. So let's say that's my criteria.

Am I screwing the barrel by using steel jacketed imports to the point that this basic metric becomes unrealizable?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    A factory barrel would benefit more than say a hand-lapped Bartlein, though even Bartlein has a "recommended" break in procedure. Shoot, clean, shoot a group, clean, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom