• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I had gotten a picture of this deer on my trail camera last month and sent an email to DNR inquiring. They responded as such.

Hi Allen, That deer is part of a sterilization study being conducted privately in Phoenix. The deer was captured and sterilized last year. Ear-tagging enables the researcher to identify the animal as one that was already treated. It is fair game for harvest and there is no problem with consuming the venison. We would appreciate notification if it is harvested. Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss further. Thank you.

Brian Eyler
    Deer Project Leader

Maryland Department of Natural Resources

301-842-0332

brian.eyler@maryland.gov

As I have told everyone who I talk to about hunting, these past two years have been absolutely horrible compared to the prior years. 3 years ago I would have a bad day if I saw less then 10 deer within 150 yards of me everytime I went. I didn't make it a single day without seeing a deer. These past two years have been a consistent decline and this year ive been twice in a row without seeing deer and I have not seen more then 5 deer in a day. Admittedly its much better then most peoples deer sighting but it is a little disturbing to me. I'm not sure where to stand on this subject, but I hope to put #69 down this year since she serves me no purpose other then food.

Attachments

• deer tag.jpg
      deer tag.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 422

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've seen a lot less deer on my nightly walks in Timonium but had written it off the the park they destroyed to put in a new school. If there are less deer in Phoenix, by the reservoir, something is definitely amiss as that area is usually over run with them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'd like to know what we are spending on this. Thousands of dollars per deer, most likely.

I do not think there are fewer deer. I think that they are all hiding out in places that cannot be hunted. I think they should reduce the distance to 50-75 yds for archery, and open up more little plots to hunting. CA in HoCo for example has acres of open space where the deer lurk.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    We can only pray this is just a trial run before they enact this plan on the inner city families that have 8 children who we subsequently pay for.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Good thing this state has more then plenty of money to do stuff like this.

We can only pray this is just a trial run before they enact this plan on the inner city families that have 8 children who we subsequently pay for.

This is your hard earned tax dollars under liberal control. Period. No more. No less.

Guys - read the first line of the letter:

"That deer is part of a sterilization study being conducted privately in Phoenix"

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    You sir are an evil genius.

Unfortunately, you are a political fail. :sad20:

We've incentivized (and are busy socially perfecting) both non productivity AND FERTILITY (but only among the oppressed class). This is historically thesignal of a society in decline. The end cannot be too far away.

Merry Christmas.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Guys - read the first line of the letter:

"That deer is part of a sterilization study being conducted privately in Phoenix"
    No chance at all that there are tax credits associated with this, are there?

Probably no chance that public employees are spending any time administering or answering questions about this either...

Sorry man, the hand in my pocket...on my wallet, is all too frequently not mine but big brother's... (they're indiscriminate btw, they like any wallet with money in it)

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    No chance at all that there are tax credits associated with this, are there?

Probably no chance that public employees are spending any time administering or answering questions about this either...

Sorry man, the hand in my pocket...on my wallet, is all too frequently not mine but big brother's... (they're indiscriminate btw, they like any wallet with money in it)

Actually I may have misread it. There is private as in non-public funds, and the is private as in using public funds and we are not telling you.

OP can you do a followup and get them to clarify "privately"?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Are all the deer in this "study" tagged #69?

Joking aside, why are they not doing this to deer in areas where there is no way hunting could be done due to intense suburbia density w/wooded pockets? Why Phoenix which still has farms?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Why Phoenix? Because two of the biggest anti hunting dingbats imaginable live there. They've been interviewed on the TV several times and have had more of their fair share of venom spewed in the local rags over the years.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Actually I may have misread it. There is private as in non-public funds, and the is private as in using public funds and we are not telling you.

OP can you do a followup and get them to clarify "privately"?

I actually plan on calling him after the holidays to go over a few things. I wonder if by PRIVATELY he actually meant exclusively.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Why Phoenix? Because two of the biggest anti hunting dingbats imaginable live there. They've been interviewed on the TV several times and have had more of their fair share of venom spewed in the local rags over the years.

Right you are. And they never interview the other 50% of residents who would pay someone to hunt their land. The people on Dulaney Valley Rd seem to be equally split as Bambi lovers and haters. They eat everything people plant and are hell on cars out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom