• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilOlive

Salty Marine
    Dec 13, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hey guys,

I just traded completed a trade for a S&W made Walther PPK. I have not had a chance to go to the range yet, but I picked up a box of Hornaday and loaded up a mag. I chambered a round, which seemed to go fine, but when I racked the slide again the chambered round didn't eject. Since then, I have done some research and discovered this is common on this gun. (Blow back) It has been suggested I fire it, and see how it goes...

But here's the problem... I was checking things out, and it looks like the slide will not go all the way home. (Full battery) The extractor doesn't make it over the case lip, so it's no surprise it won't eject.

So the question I have, does anyone know if this is common behavior?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

e0

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I have a PPK/S that is maybe 3-4 months old. I guess I have about 250-300 rounds through it so far.

First, if you do a search the wisdom is it takes about 500 rounds to break in.

Second, if you have not broken down and lubed the new gun, you should do it. In my opinion this pistol does not like to run dry. I have been using a light oil, and this week have been thinking I am going to switch to grease on the rails.

Yes, in the early days it has a tendency to not want to fully go into battery on the FIRST round when you rack the slide. I have had that issue, especially when dry, but never on subsequent rounds. I believe part is user error, from not quite letting the slide slam home, and instead unconsciously easing back a bit.

I can't say yet it runs flawlessly, but I still love that gun.

A new one has a number of common issues, like a severe difficulty in removing the slide (which goes away after a box or two of firing). The sight picture is different than what you are used to (it aims LOW if you try to use the traditional picket fence sight picture, but the correct picture is another longer post).

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I believe there is a recall on some of the Smith Walthers . I would suggest that you check Smiths website and check serial numbers.

EvilOlive

Salty Marine
    Dec 13, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the info guys...

The one thing I should point out is that I can't seem to even force it into battery. Obviously I didn't want to try anything that was going to harm the gun, but apply a decent amount of force still wouldn't get her home.

-e0

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys...

The one thing I should point out is that I can't seem to even force it into battery. Obviously I didn't want to try anything that was going to harm the gun, but apply a decent amount of force still wouldn't get her home.

-e0

With about my second mag or so, mine severely jammed. Hard to explain, but basically as the top round was stripped from the mag the following round, under mag spring tension, jammed against the first round as it was only partially into the chamber.

It was a bitch to clear. You have to gently pry the mag out while holding the mag release button down.

Again, firing, break in, and lube are your friend. Including breaking in the mags. by storing them fully loaded for a week or so.

This pistol is built to very tight tolerances. The trigger needs to be used to smooth out. Every spring needs to be exercised. It needs to be used and lubed.

After 300 rounds mine is much improved. Not 100% yet.

But learn to sight it, and its a tack driver.

EvilOlive

Salty Marine
    Dec 13, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ok. I occasionally see a guy at the range that has a new handgun and mistakenly throws the wrong round in it. I thought there was a chance you accidentally slipped a 9mm into it.

Yeah, you know... I would like to say I would come clean and admit it if that's what had happened... But I can't say for sure. :)

That being said, I went and picked up a nice fresh box of .380 today and I did this testing before I even opened the safe that houses my ammo.

-e0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom