• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    A buddy and I were talking pistol calibers and barrier penetration. I mention that 7.62 Tokarev, probably the most underappreciated pistol caliber in the world.

Then suddenly I start thinking about a gun that I saw many years ago and have rarely seen since: the CZ52! I just love the look of these guns. Now that I have a decent job again, I have a little money to buy some toys.

So, three questions:

Has surplus on these dried up?
    Do any FFLs (preferably IPs) have one in stock?
    What's the going rate?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Surplus CZ-52 pistols are gone and ammo is getting iffy. CZ-52s and ammo were ridiculously inexpensive in the day, now they go for market rate. IMHO they are entirely worth the market rate. Gunbroker might be a good place to start looking.

Pros of a CZ-52:
    Looks
    Grip angle
    7.62 is a hot cartridge and GREAT fun. The fun fact is it may penetrate body armor and helmets.
    Roller-locked short recoil is uber cool
    A lot of hop up parts available considering it is C&R
    There are 9mm conversion kits if you believe in sacrilege

Cons:
    Looks are love or hate it
    Grip angle, same as above
    The firing pin is garbage (plan on $30-45 for a Harrington Firing Pin)
    The cartridge is not just loud, it has a concussive element indoors that will scare newbs in the lane next to you.
    The sights are small and very military. You get use to them and it is no longer a negative.
    There is no slide stop lever. Again you get use to it and can manually lock the slide with the slide bar thingy.

I love mine as a shooter. It is probably my favorite C&R handgun because it works well despite being quirky.

If you are just interested in the cartridge, Yugo, Romy, and Polish Tokarevs are available for about $100 less than a 52. Personally I would get a 52 and a Tok, the designs are on opposite sides of the spectrum. The CZ-52 is 1950’s space age inovation and the Tok is the Russian attempt to copy John Browning innovation.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    CZ-52's are unique and very fun pistols. As has been said, best bet for a CZ-52 these days is GB or other auctions or find one from a private party and transfer it. You might find one in a gun shop or gun show, but it will be pricey compared to several years ago.

7.62x25 is a wonderfully powerful round. Once cheap surplus ammo is now harder to find and costs more. Some of us had foresight and stocked up. Even better, years ago some of us bought case forming dies cheap that convert all those free .223 cases into 7.62x25 brass. :innocent0

But you can't stop at one CZ-52. :nono: They get lonely and need friends. While you're at it, add several Tok's. What's a few more 7.62x25 mouths to feed...? :innocent0

Attachments

• CZ52 X 3.jpg
      CZ52 X 3.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 195
    • Three Toks Dsc00551.jpg
      Three Toks Dsc00551.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 291

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    having owned both, id take the tok over the cz52 any day.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I agree that the CZ 52 is a unique and fun to shoot gun. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. I disagree with the some of the comments on the avail of ammo. There are several outfits that regularly stock it (Sportsman Guide is my go-to place) and I've yet to go to a gun show that didn't have it readily available.

Get the CZ 52 and enjoy shooting it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I agree that the CZ 52 is a unique and fun to shoot gun. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. I disagree with the some of the comments on the avail of ammo. There are several outfits that regularly stock it (Sportsman Guide is my go-to place) and I've yet to go to a gun show that didn't have it readily available.

It's all relative. I think we were referring to the days when cans of surplus ammo were everywhere and the cans were very cheap to buy. Sure, ammo is available, but not anywhere near the prices of 5 years ago.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I'd call it more than an attempt. More like an improvement.
    How so? The Tokarev design is a direct rip off of the J. Browning designed 1903 with 1911 improvements. The Russians did it 20 years too late to be an improvement.

At that time, the Russians were locked into the Nagant and in 1930 they completely changed course for a design that is remarkably similar to current offerings on the American market.

I heart the Tokarev, but I am under no delusion it is better than a 1911.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

Were you not buying ammo last year? There was a dry up of Polish until Bulgarian ammo came through at twice the price.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    How so? The Tokarev design is a direct rip off of the J. Browning designed 1903 with 1911 improvements. The Russians did it 20 years too late to be an improvement.

At that time, the Russians were locked into the Nagant and in 1930 they completely changed course for a design that is remarkably similar to current offerings on the American market.

I heart the Tokarev, but I am under no delusion it is better than a 1911.

not saying its better than the 1911. but better than the cz52.:thumbsup:

To me, the biggest negative is that during the week of Easter, 2011 "poof" all the surplus ammo disappeared. Weirdest thing ever- It went from everyone selling Spam Cans for <$100 to it being GONE in under a week. To this day, I haven't found out why it disappeared so quickly. I understand that Tok's going C&R caused a lot more demand for ammo, but one would have suspected it to have "slowly" dried up (and prices rapidly increase) over the course of a few months as we saw with other surplus military ammo.

I sold mine at the last York show- first C&R I ever took out of my bound book.
    I guess I didn't like it enough to buy commercial (Prvi, etc.) for $20 a box + shipping.

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    The CZ-52 has several great features. If you like shooting alone, just find a spot in the center of the firing line. After the third or fourth shot you will be fairly alone as people just seem to melt away. The blast from these things is phenominal. Hot case ejection is another factor. The guy on the right will be the first to leave. And no one has mentioned the flame, especially at night. Four foot minimum.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Whoever said the ergos are terrible hit the nail on the head. I love shooting mine (blows flamethrower-esque fireball with less recoil than a 9x19), but mine seems to have some mildly painful trigger slap from time to time. The lack of slide stop lever isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I wonder why they didn't put one on there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom