• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Thanks guys. The wheels of justice turn slowly.

It should theoretically turn pretty fast in this case. The district court and 3 judge panel are bound by precedent.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Dismissed by Judge Hollander on 10/15/18

Attachments

• 09319772323.pdf
      98.9 KB · Views: 282

Meho1277

Oct 18, 2018
    Are we speaking of woolard or malpasso, because I thought malpasso was already in 4th circuit of appeals. Originally assigned to judge garbis and reassigned to hollander when he retired.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Are we speaking of woolard or malpasso, because I thought malpasso was already in 4th circuit of appeals. Originally assigned to judge garbis and reassigned to hollander when he retired.

Malpasso is likely headed for 4CA now. Garbis was and Hollander is a Federal District Court Judge.

Meho1277

Oct 18, 2018
    Gotcha! Thank you for clarification, I was feeling very disappointed and beat, but now, I am re-energized with hope, I have DC and VA permits, and would just be a shame to not have one where i live and spend most of my life....Maryland.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This may be the case that SCOTUS may finallly grant CERT for. How fitting it would be to have this case be the one that buried May Issue forever.

One can hope

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Your dues goes to NRA, not NRA-ILA, so they don't fund any lawsuits.

If your donations are specifically to NRA-ILA, then they go to fund the lawsuits, if not, then no they don't.

If you want to support NRA-ILA lawsuits the donations need to be made specifically to NRA-ILA.

:thumbsup:

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Just out walking with wife and 3 y-o daughter at the local resevoir. A guy on an ATV drives by a few times, and I'm nervous because all I have is a pocket knife. Granted, I could do some damage with it, but I shouldn't have to live like this...Fingers crossed for cert in the near future!

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    How long until the next step in the process happens?

We appeal. State probably moves to dismiss. There’s a hearing on that a couple months down the line. Probably get denied. Trial date set and discovery period begins. Months later, trial happens. Judge takes however long they want to rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Judge is actually a 3 Judge panel at the 4 CA. Either side can then request an en banc rehearing of the entire court. (18 Judges)

En banc requests are not automatically granted

Usually it's the loser who requests En banc.

After that process, the loser can then apply for CERT from SCOTUS.

That is not automatic either. Takes 4 Justices to vote for CERT. Previously the SCOTUS wasn't interested in 2A cases, for whatever reason. They don't say why they reject CERT petitions..

We'll see if the addition of Kavanaugh changes the outcome.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    How long until the next step in the process happens?

The appeal needs to be filed within 30 days of judgment (15 Oct) for this case.

We appeal. State probably moves to dismiss. There’s a hearing on that a couple months down the line. Probably get denied. Trial date set and discovery period begins. Months later, trial happens. Judge takes however long they want to rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There was no hearing at the district level and there may not be one at the appellate level. There is no dispute about 4th circuit precedent, they need either an en banc or SCOTUS to overrule. There is no discovery at the appellate level either. It will likely take 4-6 months for the 4th circuit to rule.

The Judge is actually a 3 Judge panel at the 4 CA. Either side can then request an en banc rehearing of the entire court. (18 Judges)

En banc requests are not automatically granted

Usually it's the loser who requests En banc.

After that process, the loser can then apply for CERT from SCOTUS.

That is not automatic either. Takes 4 Justices to vote for CERT. Previously the SCOTUS wasn't interested in 2A cases, for whatever reason. They don't say why they reject CERT petitions..

We'll see if the addition of Kavanaugh changes the outcome.

The 4th Circuit has 15 active judges, the 3 senior (retired) judges do not sit for the en banc.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't think the makeup of the court matters, as they have ruled on G&S in Woollard.

They're not going to change their minds.

Deny the appeal so we can file for CERT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom