• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • langdon2009

Sep 18, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    Ive never done this before and I’ve only purchased one handgun from a gun store before so I’m fairly new to this stuff. How would me purchasing a handgun from a private seller work? I meet him/her and we both sign the 77r, I give him/her money and I wait to be cleared for the weapon?(that just seems crazy!)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If it's NOT a c&r eligible handgun, first you need an HQL then you need to go on the MSP website and complete part of the 77. Then you meet the seller at an FFL or a state police barracks to complete the form and begin your 7 day wait.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've only done this once as a buyer, (once as a seller) and I don't remember if I paid the seller upon taking receipt of the handgun, or if I paid right up front. I think I paid up front, but after the transfer paperwork had been filled out - once that has been done, after everything has been approved, the gun has been legally transferred so the seller pretty much has to hand the gun over once the 7 day wait has been completed.

IIRC, we met at the State Police Barracks in Bel Air, walked in, filled out the paperwork and paid the filing fee, ($10?) and I paid him in the parking lot. Then, within the week, I received the "not disapproved" paperwork in the mail, and once the 7 days were up, I drove to the sellers house and picked up the gun.

Interesting question considering that I'm eyeballing a handgun in the forum Classifieds, so I'll wind up doing this again soon. :thumbsup:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've only done this once as a buyer, (once as a seller) and I don't remember if I paid the seller upon taking receipt of the handgun, or if I paid right up front. I think I paid up front, but after the transfer paperwork had been filled out - once that has been done, after everything has been approved, the gun has been legally transferred so the seller pretty much has to hand the gun over once the 7 day wait has been completed.

IIRC, we met at the State Police Barracks in Bel Air, walked in, filled out the paperwork and paid the filing fee, ($10?) and I paid him in the parking lot. Then, within the week, I received the "not disapproved" paperwork in the mail, and once the 7 days were up, I drove to the sellers house and picked up the gun.

Interesting question considering that I'm eyeballing a handgun in the forum Classifieds, so I'll wind up doing this again soon. :thumbsup:

Your first paragraph is incorrect. The transfer legally happens when the buyer and seller meet on day 7 to sign a second time. Until that happens, no transfer of ownership is complete.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Your first paragraph is incorrect. The transfer legally happens when the buyer and seller meet on day 7 to sign a second time. Until that happens, no transfer of ownership is complete.
    Ok - I'll accept that. I know that we only went to the barracks one time though, and I met the seller at his house to pick up the firearm - it's very possible that we signed the paperwork at his house prior to the transfer.

langdon2009

Sep 18, 2016
    Pikesville, MD
    Yeah it’s a $10 fee. I’ll meet this seller at some ffl dealer and pay him once I’m cleared to pick up if he’s cool with that. I do not trust putting my money into anyone’s hands like this lol I was paranoid about going to the gun shop at first. I also think this guy works for MSP lol

Yeah it’s a $10 fee. I’ll meet this seller at some ffl dealer and pay him once I’m cleared to pick up if he’s cool with that. I do not trust putting my money into anyone’s hands like this lol I was paranoid about going to the gun shop at first. I also think this guy works for MSP lol

MSP fee is $10. The FFL is going to charge an additional ~$50 on top of that.
    Going directly to MSP will avoid the FFL fee.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD

When was your last private sale transfer? Since The 77r when online you only need one trip to the MSP. We each received an email 7 days later saying "not disapproved", complete the transfer.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    When was your last private sale transfer? Since The 77r when online you only need one trip to the MSP. We each received an email 7 days later saying "not disapproved", complete the transfer.

Sorry, you're correct that my last private transfer was in the paper days. Is there no second signature for private sales anymore? How do they deal with people who back out or are disapproved?

My dealer still has me sign papers after the wait.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , an FFL could hold on to the firearm , but then will also involve a transfer fee to the FFL .

This is not automatically a bad way to go , all depends on the situations and parameters of the buyer and seller .

MSP Barracks method , buyer and seller must meet physically two times . FFL method meet once for presale inspection and payment . Seller then rides off into the sunset with payment in his pockect . Buyer then does usual procedures for purchasing from FFL . ( Under certain situations , seller could drop off at FFL without buyer present at same time , and buyer come to FFL later to start procedures.)

If buyer and seller are routinely in physical proximity, MSP works for them. If buyer and seller are a long distance appart , or at least one of them has strange schedule and works odd hours , the convience of FFL middle man , with fixed business hours , could be worth the fee .

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Sorry, you're correct that my last private transfer was in the paper days. Is there no second signature for private sales anymore? How do they deal with people who back out or are disapproved?

My dealer still has me sign papers after the wait.

My last was 1/2017 so a little fuzzy, memory wise. We each filled out a form online, then met at the barracks. MSP printed out copies of the forms, we signed them and were given copies. I think I paid the guy at first meeting. Then wait for email from MSP.

This is a copy of the email, PI removed.

"Dear xxx,

Congratulations. Your Application, xxxxxxxxx, to purchase/transfer a regulated firearm has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police.

You may contact your seller, xx, to arrange pickup/transfer of your item.

If you have already taken possession of the firearm in question, or you believe you are receiving this email in error, please notify the Maryland State Police Licensing Division immediately at: 401-653-4500.

Thank you,
    The Maryland State Police,
    Licensing Division
    401-653-4500"

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My last sale and purchase was in 2013 - it's been a while for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom