• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Ok people, its been a while since ive been on here. My son is turning 18 very soon and wants to purchase a Mosin Nagant on his 18th birthday. I've scoured the web, this site and anywhere I can that says its on the regulated list...but cant find it. I myself believe its on the regulated list and my friends that owns a Nagant say its on the list....but can someone point me to a site that lists it? Or provide the wording that states he cannot own a Nagant at 18.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    All regulated long guns were banned under FSA2013.

All remaining regulated firearms are handguns.

It does not meet any of the features described in the copy cat test portion of FSA2013 so it is not banned.

Mosin is and has forever been cash and carry so your son can legally purchased one at 18 no problem.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ok people, its been a while since ive been on here. My son is turning 18 very soon and wants to purchase a Mosin Nagant (a bolt action RIFLE) on his 18th birthday. I've scoured the web, this site and anywhere I can that says its on the regulated list...but cant find it. I myself believe its on the regulated list and my friends that owns a Nagant say its on the list....but can someone point me to a site that lists it? Or provide the wording that states he cannot own a Nagant (a HANDGUN) at 18.
    The reason for the conflicting/confusing information is that the Mosin/Nagant is a rifle and the Nagant is a pistol.

The Mosin/Nagant rifle is an unregulated bolt action, not banned in MD and legal for your 18 yo son to own if he has no other legal disabilities.

The Nagant handgun is regulated as are other handguns in MD, requiring an HQL and age 21.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Well gracias amigo.

All regulated long guns were banned under FSA2013.

All remaining regulated firearms are handguns.

It does not meet any of the features described in the copy cat test portion of FSA2013 so it is not banned.

Mosin is and has forever been cash and carry so your son can legally purchased one at 18 no problem.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Yup he's interested in the rifle, not pistol.

The reason for the conflicting/confusing information is that the Mosin/Nagant is a rifle and the Nagant is a pistol.

The Mosin/Nagant rifle is an unregulated bolt action, not banned in MD and legal for your 18 yo son to own if he has no other legal disabilities.

The Nagant handgun is regulated as are other handguns in MD, requiring an HQL and age 21.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line

Irrelevant at this point in this thread, but for the sake of completeness, no HQL required, C&R (>50 years old.)

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    One thing to remember, while Federally a Mosin Nagant rifle is unregulated (cash and carry) and can be purchased by 18 and up, that doesn't mean that the store in question will not have its own policy.

We all know that Dicks and WalMart both changed their policy to 21 and over for everything. It does not hurt to talk to the FFL or store you choose to use first to ensure they follow the Federal policy. If they don't, then that is not the store your looking for, move along....

Oh and the list your friend may have been referring to is the Reviewed firearms list that Maryland publishes here. Just remember this list is not all inclusive and is only those rifles that the MSP was requested to review and state their disposition. It doesn't mean that if something is not on the list is Not Banned (or even Banned).

On the pistol side, Maryland has the Handgun roster. For this list, the pistol must be on this list (1985 or newer) or it is not permitable to transfer possession in Maryland. Here Bottom Left

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    My son purchased a Mosin Nagant carbine last weekend. I accompanied him to the LGS and hovered at a discrete distance to ensure I could lend assistance if appropriate without appearing to be a straw. He sat down with the clerk, filled out the federal paperwork and he went home with his new 1957 prize. Looking for ammo spam cans now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom