• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingsnaken

Apr 27, 2013
    Sooo, I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I've been watching these 2 rifles at basspro.
    1. DPMS Panther Arms Oracle -$530
    2. S&W M&P 15 sport 2 -$700

Purpose is primarily for home defense, something to take to the range and something to learn and grow with.

If anyone out there has handled both and has strong opinions about one over the other, especially in regards to reliability, accuracy, suggested ammo, etc. I'd appreciated your feedback.

Thanks
    I have DPMS Lower, and it was my first AR-15. The mag release button sticks. I can probably just file it a little, but i believe it is either from workmanship or inspection. Anyway, I don't care for Bass Pro Shop either because they wouldn't even let me look at a firearm in their cases until I produced the MD license to purchase a gun. They wouldn't even talk to me. At the time I was shopping around. In my opinion you will get better customer service from a local gun shop, and many times they will be much cheaper. They will certainly give you the time of day.

RebelBugler

Jan 4, 2014
    Following the various posts in this thread reminded me of how much fun I had building my first AR 15. I managed to purchase a stripped lower just before the Legislature was supposedly going to ban Ar 15's all together. Back then, it was necessary to fill out an application, successfully complete an online gun safety course and wait the requisite 8 or 10 days to purchase a stripped lower. Does anyone know what hoops you have to jump through now to purchase a stripped lower in Maryland? Is it considered a handgun, subject to handgun regulations and registration? Any current info would be appreciated. Thanks

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    i have an mp15. But at this point it's more of someting else. I've changed the trigger and slapped on a 24" bull barrel for varmint blastin. before i switched those out.. i put probably 10-20k rounds thru it's 16" barrel. may want to look at an ar "pistol".

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Sooo, I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I've been watching these 2 rifles at basspro.

Purpose is primarily for home defense, something to take to the range and something to learn and grow with.

If anyone out there has handled both and has strong opinions about one over the other, especially in regards to reliability, accuracy, suggested ammo, etc. I'd appreciated your feedback.

Thanks

I have a 500 Mossberg pump with 18" barrel and a pistol for home defense. For groundhog, pigs and deer, I have a .243 Sako Forester, semi bull barrel.

Last edited:
    I don't care what the nay-sayers have to say about the S&W, I have owned one since 2015. 1000+ rounds through it, both quality and "budget" ammo, and never once had a hiccup. If you keep it clean, like any responsible gun owner should, you wont have an issue. Also very accurate. A solid choice for a starter AR.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Several have said something about starter AR's since that is what the OP was inquiring about...a first AR. I built a blaster AR using a RRA 16" HBAR assembly, used good stuff. I was going to sell it when I got the LWRC IC DI. Shot it a time or two more and really enjoyed the set up., including the weight and balance. My mentality before that is all AR's really should be free float handguard equipped. I built this one with the standard GI handguards. No real utility nor practical accuracy was lost. Shoots about 2 -3" at 100 yards with generic 55 grain ammo and me at the helm using iron sights. Keeping it...plus I know burning out a barrel is a simple hour's labor and new barrel assembly away.

warreng

Feb 1, 2012

Thanks

Living in Bowie, you are not that far from Engage Armament in Rockville. I would encourage you to talk to them also. They custom build AR's and are dealers for I believe all of the "brands" listed here. Most of their personnel also have significant experience shooting with that platform. Their input could be very valuable. I purchased my LMT and all three of my suppressors from them. They were also very helpful with the paperwork required to get my SBR approved even though I did not buy it, or any of the parts that I built it with from them.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I don't care what the nay-sayers have to say about the S&W, I have owned one since 2015. 1000+ rounds through it, both quality and "budget" ammo, and never once had a hiccup. If you keep it clean, like any responsible gun owner should, you wont have an issue. Also very accurate. A solid choice for a starter AR.

Let us know what you say, once you break the 10k mark on it. I have a Bushmaster that has seen 15k, since I bought it in 2008. Other than replacing some springs, it has run like a champ. But then again that was the only AR I have ever purchased off the shelf.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

I have a frankenbuild with way more than 1000 rounds that hasn't been cleaned and only gets fed the cheap stuff. It's dripping with lube.

What's my point? We aren't saying your rifle is garbage. People that have seen way more rifles come across their bench see fewer problems with certain brands.

And while we are on the subject, I would argue that a "clean" rifle is an abused rifle.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have a frankenbuild with way more than 1000 rounds that hasn't been cleaned and only gets fed the cheap stuff. It's dripping with lube.

What's my point? We aren't saying your rifle is garbage. People that have seen way more rifles come across their bench see fewer problems with certain brands.

And while we are on the subject, I would argue that a "clean" rifle is an abused rifle.

I have to agree with you and well said.

I don't clean mine till I hit 500 or 1k, or I see accuracy degradation.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    OP, welcome to the forums. There are a few of us in Bowie :)

If I were in your shoes (like I was ten years ago), I'd go with building my first AR over buying one complete. There's something about putting it together that sticks with you when it comes to troubleshooting issues that will help with any AR you might own.

I wanted to go cheap with my first build but ended up grabbing a ton of BCM parts thanks to the nuts enthusiasts on MDS and I don't regret it lol.

Deadlunch

Jun 9, 2018
    Bowie
    closer to home

Living in Bowie, you are not that far from Engage Armament in Rockville. I would encourage you to talk to them also. They custom build AR's and are dealers for I believe all of the "brands" listed here. Most of their personnel also have significant experience shooting with that platform. Their input could be very valuable. I purchased my LMT and all three of my suppressors from them. They were also very helpful with the paperwork required to get my SBR approved even though I did not buy it, or any of the parts that I built it with from them.

Thanks for this. I was planning a trip to my cousin next month, and was planning to hit High Rock Outfitters on the way. But I'd definitely will ht up engage before I go.
    Thanks for the tip.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    2c93bdc175e1db91c02c5328bee402a2.jpg

Get a Colt LE6920HBPW!! Jlowe still has some in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom