• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    HT operators -

I saw a few youtube videos about this amplifier make for HTs and gave it a chance. I hit a Frederick repeater from Westminster full quieting when normally there would be some hiss/crackle. My meter showed about 31 watts output (compared to the 4 to 5 watts radio output).

Output power is based on input power and runs on 13.8v.

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-AMP-U25-Amplifier-400-480MHz-Compatible/dp/B07DPBQ9YW

There are several versions; I got the VHF version that supports analog and DMR.

I powered it with this which I normally use for the HT itself to save the batter wear-and-teat.

https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Converter-Cigarette-Transformer-Refrigerator/dp/B078RZQ9WY

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    HT operators -

I saw a few youtube videos about this amplifier make for HTs and gave it a chance. I hit a Frederick repeater from Westminster full quieting when normally there would be some hiss/crackle. My meter showed about 31 watts output (compared to the 4 to 5 watts radio output).

Output power is based on input power and runs on 13.8v.

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-AMP-U25-Amplifier-400-480MHz-Compatible/dp/B07DPBQ9YW

There are several versions; I got the VHF version that supports analog and DMR.

I powered it with this which I normally use for the HT itself to save the batter wear-and-teat.

https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Converter-Cigarette-Transformer-Refrigerator/dp/B078RZQ9WY

For $150+ its a bad buy. I bought one a couple years back when they were close to $100. The cables are the weak link. I had to buy mulitple antenna adapter cables and mics. At that price point you are most of the way to a good used radio, even with DMR.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I had to add 2 adapters - one that came with it to swap genders for the coax out of the radio and one to convert the BNC on my roll-up slim jim antenna to SO-239/PL-259.

I don't count the cost of the radio itself because it's older. I've got too many wants, mainly an HF rig and I don't want to go cheap...er..."inexpensive." I'm torn between a Yaesu and Icom.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeasu or Icom doesn't matter at all. Look at the exact features of the models you are interested in and don't forget, in truth its your antenna and its placement that counts the most and not the transmitter.

Without a superior antenna a new Yeasu or Icom can't do any more than a rusty and dusty 50 year old Radio Shack or Heathkit unit

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    A friend just mentioned he took the class/test "proctored", is this a thing?
    Sorry if already mentioned, I've not read back too far. Guess I need to start studying ... again. Rationale - if this friend tells me too, I need to look into it. He also listens while reloading. Thanks

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A friend just mentioned he took the class/test "proctored", is this a thing?
    In this context, "proctored" simply means the exam is supervised (as they all are), and he probably means he took the test in person vs online.

S.O.P. calls for three observers when administering exams, in addition to the VEs(Volunteer Examiners) working on scoring and other administrative duties as the exams are conducted

Our outfit has begun administering exams in person again and our next exam session is May 5th:
    https://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/severna-park-md-21146

The Davidsonville club has an exam session scheduled for May 14th:
    https://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/davidsonville-md-21035-65

Sorry if already mentioned, I've not read back too far. Guess I need to start studying ... again. Rationale - if this friend tells me too, I need to look into it. He also listens while reloading. Thanks
    If you want to pass the exams by whatever method is available, you should study. If you are thus far unlicensed, I would suggest studying for both Technician and General, because there is a lot of overlapping material and you could likely pass both exams in one test session.

You might find this"Can't Fail" thread helpful:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Thanks, I’m not really sure what he meant , he is in CA. Also said he was surprised they let him talk on the radio without a license. Whatever that one means as well.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks, I’m not really sure what he meant , he is in CA. Also said he was surprised they let him talk on the radio without a license. Whatever that one means as well.
    A licensee can act as a "control" operator allowing an unlicensed person to transmit as long as it doesn't exceed the limits of the licensee and the licensee has the ability to end the transmission if the unlicensed person strays outside of what's lawful.

Typically, amateur radio clubs have activities like Field Day where this is encouraged.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Hamfest at Howard County Fairgrounds Today May 29, 2022.

Time: 7 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. - premises MUST be cleared by 4 p.m.

TALK-IN on WA3DZD Repeater (146.16/146.76, 223.16/224.76, and 449.0/444.0) Pl 107.2

Plenty of good food and drink will be available. Provided by Lions Club

MFMA Hamfest is An ARRL sanctioned Hamfest

Suggested Admission Donation : $10

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ham Exams next week:

Tuesday, June 7, 5:45 PM
    American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Well i took the Tech test online the 29th, passed (35/35, i'm a bit anal about testing i guess). I paid as soon as i got the fcc email Friday (7/1). ULS is showing payment pending so i'll have to wait till tuesday i guess since monday is a holiday (for it to clear and then get my call sign). I've started to study for General now. I have 2 Baofengs, a UV-5B that i bought a while back just to listen in and then the GT-5R. Doubt i'll get a lot of hardware or ever go to Amateur extra. Too many hobbies that take my time and money it's just that i've wanted to get my Ham license since my Father had talked about wishing he had gotten it way back when.

I'll stop rambling now.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Well i took the Tech test online the 29th, passed (35/35, i'm a bit anal about testing i guess). I paid as soon as i got the fcc email Friday (7/1). ULS is showing payment pending so i'll have to wait till tuesday i guess since monday is a holiday (for it to clear and then get my call sign). I've started to study for General now. I have 2 Baofengs, a UV-5B that i bought a while back just to listen in and then the GT-5R. Doubt i'll get a lot of hardware or ever go to Amateur extra. Too many hobbies that take my time and money it's just that i've wanted to get my Ham license since my Father had talked about wishing he had gotten it way back when.

I'll stop rambling now.
    Congrats!

Usually there is no extra hardware for extra. If you buy your HF rig in the US it will allow transmit on all amateur bands. If you have your general then you'll need to mind what frequencies your on. If you have your Extra then your good-to-go.

Get plugged in with your local ham club and ask lots of questions.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Congratulations, MD_Rick_O!

Ham Exams next week:

Tuesday, July 5, 2022
    5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

I'll stop rambling now.
    Congratulations. Antennas are everything in this business, radios not so much.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Thanks all, i'll see how long it takes to feel good about general and look at Extra if not too long. I'd definitely go to an in person test next time so thanks for the Ref E.shell. I think i looked at extra a while back and it didn't look as easy and Tech & General.

Any good free study material for Extra???

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    hamstudy.org in study mode

You are correct, its more difficult. More electronics, more math and most of all MORE questions.

The General test has significant overlap with Tech. Scoring 35/35 you could have studied for and passed both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom