Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Yeah, I saw that. The new message says "24-hour ban" but the original message certainly didn't have anything like that. I'm sure it was more of an emotional knee-jerk thing and I agree with others that the reversal was probably due to the backlash

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This fellow's channel covers a lot of ham radio topics, but he also covers historical topics. I like the end of this one about published gov and military frequencies in the 80s and 90s.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    If that trips your trigger, jump down the rabbit hole of long-lines.net. Lots of details on the fascinating history of the AT&T long lines networks, much of which was built in this area. Central/Western maryland/sourhtern PA has a particularly rich history, and much of that infrastructure is still in use in one capacity or another. Familiar with the monrovia tower? Or the tower in Tysons corner (if its stilll there - I haven't been through years). More than meets the eye...

As an RF/microwave engineer, its neat to know what drove the forefront of microwave design from the 50's through 60's/70's.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    If that trips your trigger, jump down the rabbit hole of long-lines.net. Lots of details on the fascinating history of the AT&T long lines networks, much of which was built in this area. Central/Western maryland/sourhtern PA has a particularly rich history, and much of that infrastructure is still in use in one capacity or another. Familiar with the monrovia tower? Or the tower in Tysons corner (if its stilll there - I haven't been through years). More than meets the eye...

As an RF/microwave engineer, its neat to know what drove the forefront of microwave design from the 50's through 60's/70's.

Monrovia tower - is that the square microwave tower that I think is linked to/aimed at the one in Finksburg?

I believe there is some alphabet soup at the Finksburg tower.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Clarification on the FCC fees. I had it wrong about class upgrades. I have no problems being wrong in this case. ;) From the ARRL:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) staff has clarified in response to an ARRL request that the new $35 application fee will not apply to most license modifications, including those to upgrade an Amateur Radio Licensee’s operator class and changes to club station trustees. The FCC staff explained that the new fees will apply only to applications for a new license, renewal, rule waiver, or a new vanity call sign. As previously announced, the new fees take effect on April 19, 2022.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Clarification on the FCC fees. I had it wrong about class upgrades. I have no problems being wrong in this case. ;) From the ARRL:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) staff has clarified in response to an ARRL request that the new $35 application fee will not apply to most license modifications, including those to upgrade an Amateur Radio Licensee’s operator class and changes to club station trustees. The FCC staff explained that the new fees will apply only to applications for a new license, renewal, rule waiver, or a new vanity call sign. As previously announced, the new fees take effect on April 19, 2022.
    Time to get my Extra then.

russ498

Feb 8, 2021
    Pasadena, MD 21122
    I went from having no prior exposure to radio or electronics to passing the Amateur Extra test which is the highest level amateur license available, in just 3 months. It took a lot of time studying, but is doable for anyone.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Time to get my Extra then.

Bump for this. AARC announced their April 9,2022 VE session will be the last one before the new fees go into effect.

It might be worth it to give the test a try even if you don't think you're fully prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom