• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    It has been well over a decade since I have shot trap and I want to get back into it.

When I was last active shooting trap, it was on private land using a little trap thrower as opposed to going to a trap and skeet club with trap houses and the crescent shooting positions which is what I am looking to do now.

As I am reading rules for the various public trap venues in the area, a common rule is to keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to shoot which makes perfect sense.

What I am unclear on is what is considered ready to shoot? Is it after you have taken position at your shooting station or is it when it is your turn to shoot?

Also specifically with pump shot guns, what is the proper way to load them when shooting singles and doubles?

For singles are you supposed to drop the shell right into the chamber or put it in the mag and rack it in?

Similar question for doubles, do you put the first round in the chamber, close the pump, and place the second in the mag or do you put both in the mag and then rack the first one into the chamber?

Thank you for your help.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    99% of the time at a Public place it's always load only when it's your turn and action open any other time.

But I have been to one club where nobody missed a beat where a guy was loading one hull after another in his extended mag tube.

If you're still unsure, just watch a round or two to get the vibe.

Gorba

Deplorable Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 24, 2018
    Annapolis
    At Anne Arundel Fish & Game I was taught . . . . when on the firing arc it is OK to drop a shell into the open action but do NOT rack it closed until it is your turn to shoot.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would suspect the range has it's rules posted somewhere. I've never shot a pump but I would recommend having the action open, once the previous shooters fires, you would then drop a round into the chamber, rack the shotgun, take a ready position and then call for the bird.

If the rules aren't posted, just ask someone. We're pretty friendly as long as you follow the rules. So just ask.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    It's ok to drop the round in chamber. Rack after shooter before you shoots but don't wait to long as the racking sound could set off the thrower. Good luck.

JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    Thank you all for the information.

I am looking to purchase a BPS trap which ejects from the bottom.

For singles there is a selector to disable the extractor so you can drop one into the chamber real easy.

For doubles though this would have to be disabled. There is a trick to get the extractor out of the way but I'd rather just put two in the mag and rack one in when it is my turn to do so.

Would this be frowned upon or is it range dependent?

Thank you for your help.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Can't help you on that one. Never shot a pump on a trap range. I still say it's probably best to ask at the desk if you have to pay there or ask before you take your first position.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Just go by the universal rule of unloaded until it's your turn. You're really setting yourself up with bad habits if you start walking around with loaded mag tube at the firing line. I'd say most people won't even pay enough attention to notice but I've seen a trapper yell at some goof who was shoving hulls down his tube where another place we usually shot at never cared.

If you're shooting with people that get pissed off because it takes you 5 extra seconds to get your gun ready, find someone else to go with. LOL

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    The rules on any trap or skeet range will be never load the gun until your ready to shoot. No more than 2 shells at a time 1 for trap singles.
    If shooting skeet you may load 2 for your singles, then 2 for doubles.
    You’ll find a BPS to be really clunky for any clays game

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    The rules on any trap or skeet range will be never load the gun until your ready to shoot. No more than 2 shells at a time 1 for trap singles.
    If shooting skeet you may load 2 for your singles, then 2 for doubles.
    You’ll find a BPS to be really clunky for any clays game

Ducks right. A bottom eject pump is going to be a little clunky. I started shooting with an Ithaca mdl 37. It bottom ejects too. For me it was easier to close the gun and load 1 or 2 in the tube and then rack the slide to load.

JustPlinking

Oct 11, 2018
    Ducks right. A bottom eject pump is going to be a little clunky. I started shooting with an Ithaca mdl 37. It bottom ejects too. For me it was easier to close the gun and load 1 or 2 in the tube and then rack the slide to load.

Thank you for the tip. I intend to get an over and under at some point but to get back into it I wanted to get a decent pump and I am not a fan of Remington 870's or semi autos of any variety.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Watch a few rounds. Some trap shooters get really upset if the cadence is messed up. Pull, Boom..Pull, Boom..Pull, Boom.

Pull, Boom..Pull, Boom..Pull, Boom....Pull, Boom will have them going nuts. :D

I shoot an over/under. So as the guy ahead of me calls Pull, I drop a round in. As he goes Boom, I am closing the gun and shouldering it.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Watch a few rounds. Some trap shooters get really upset if the cadence is messed up. Pull, Boom..Pull, Boom..Pull, Boom.

Most trap shooters (the old cranky guys) get upset over just about everything. :D

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

I shoot an over/under. So as the guy ahead of me calls Pull, I drop a round in. As he goes Boom, I am closing the gun and shouldering it.

And some guys will get upset when the guy next to them is moving while they are trying to shoot, but that's because
    Most trap shooters (the old cranky guys) get upset over just about everything. :D
    ...of pretty much this :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

This is VERY true.

My ex got them all bend out of shape by shooting with a low gun starting position.

We were sporting clays shooters, so we always shot low gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom