• ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Reality Check: The True Intent Of The Second Amendment
    http://truthinmedia.com/reality-check-intent-second-amendment/
    The right to keep and bear arms may be the single most controversial and most contentious right listed in our Bill of Rights.

Much of the root of that contention is in understanding what the founders and framers actually meant.

What is the Second Amendment really about?

This is a Reality Check you won’t get anywhere else...

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Absolutely.

The founders had recently finished fighting against what at the start of the conflict was their own government, and which was tyrannical and oppressive.

I think the idea that government needed to be kept in check was not novel to them. It was, in fact, a probability and not just a possibility that the need would arise.

Antis try to spin the 2A to mean that only the well-regulated militia should have firearms. I read it to mean that ordinary citizens need to have arms because the government's militia exists.

It's just another form of checks and balances.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Agreed

Absolutely.

The founders had recently finished fighting against what at the start of the conflict was their own government, and which was tyrannical and oppressive.

I think the idea that government needed to be kept in check was not novel to them. It was, in fact, a probability and not just a possibility that the need would arise.

Antis try to spin the 2A to mean that only the well-regulated militia should have firearms. I read it to mean that ordinary citizens need to have arms because the government's militia exists.

It's just another form of checks and balances.

I see it as two parts of a sentence where you can replace the comma between the militia part and the right of the people part shall not be infringed with the word 'and' to satisfy both the Federalists and the anti-federalists. Now both sides were happy

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Just look at my signature line below.

"[T]he militia is a force to be convened in response to a tyrannical government, not in defense of the nation. ...Such a militia could not possibly exist if the people who were to fill its ranks were not properly armed."

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Mike, I respectfully disagree.

Mr. Perkin's quote implies that the people are the militia.

I don't think that's right.

I interpret the 2A to say that the inherent right of the people to keep and bear arms should not be infringed so that the people are able to oppose the state's militia, which is necessary to maintain the free state but can be used against the people when the state turns tyrannical.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yup

I interpret the 2A to say that the inherent right of the people to keep and bear arms should not be infringed so that the people are able to oppose the state's militia, which is necessary to maintain the free state but can be used against the people when the state turns tyrannical.

Agreed.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013

You have to understand it in historical context. The Bill of Rights applied to the federal government. The states were free to restrict firearms however they liked. That's why some states included their own firearm protections in their state constitutions. And some of those protections specifically mention things like self-defense. Maryland does not have that.

The Bill of Rights was proposed as an added layer of protection that would restrict the federal government. Many felt that because it was a government of enumerated powers, the Congress would already be restricted and the BoR would be unnecessary.

Your interpretation doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you read the 2A with modern language:

"A well-equipped and trained militia is necessary to the security of a free state, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Understanding that the militia is composed of the people who would bring their own arms, you're reading something into it that's not there. The language is incredibly direct.

As for who is in the militia:

That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia, by the Captain or Commanding Officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this Act.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    aireyc,

Good point about the states.

What's the source for your quote on who is in the militia?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Here is an excellent analysis of the meaning of the second amendment:

http://barefootsworld.net/consti11.html#am2

Be certain to note the later additions of commas as noted in the following quote:
    It is of great interest to note that in the ensuing years since this Amendment was ratified that commas have been inserted after the words "Militia" and "Arms", providing misconstruction of a very explicit restriction on the legislatures and the government. These commas appear in virtually all presentations of the 2nd Amendment today, including the official NARA presentation, and in no early publication that we have found to date. The correct wording as presented to the States for ratification, and as ratified, is shown in this image of the "True Bill" and also in The Federalist On The New Constitution, 1796, Page 16 showing the first 4 amendments; See the discussion of the first twelve Amendment proposals.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    aireyc,

Good point about the states.

What's the source for your quote on who is in the militia?

Not exactly the same quote but here is the section from the U. S. Code:

Title 10 U.S.C. 311. Militia: composition and classes
    (a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
    (b) The classes of the militia are -

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
    (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Good discussion and good points. In my non lawyer opinion, I think all resident persons are the militia. Isn't that what "(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia" above says?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Good discussion and good points. In my non lawyer opinion, I think all resident persons are the militia. Isn't that what "(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia" above says?

The US Militia is defined differently than the Maryland Militia. The US Militia is not all resident persons, it is all male citizens between 18 and 44. Females need to be part of the National Guard to be considered part of the US Militia. The Maryland Militia does not have any age or sex limitations.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 18-44 , not in US Mil or Commisioned in NG language was enacted circa 1900 .

The definition back in 1776 era was much closer to anyone who could physically bear arms.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Just look at my signature line below.

"[T]he militia is a force to be convened in response to a tyrannical government, not in defense of the nation. ...Such a militia could not possibly exist if the people who were to fill its ranks were not properly armed."

Mike: The signature line path is not longer available. "cannot be found"

Mike

MDS Supporter

Fixed. Apparently some type of editing or something rendered my prior URL link inoperable. Thank you, I thought the whole page had been deleted. When I discovered the broken link, I tried to find the text of the post but failed. Now I've located it again, and have the reply number included for anyone who wishes to research the reference from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom