• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Sticking to my prediction, several more relists and a dissent from denial of cert. This is a stupid opinion, to be sure, but my gut tells me the court will at least wait for other circuit opinions.

ETA: maybe the dissent will give us a clue how to get a few more justices on board.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    Sticking to my prediction, several more relists and a dissent from denial of cert. This is a stupid opinion, to be sure, but my gut tells me the court will at least wait for other circuit opinions.

ETA: maybe the dissent will give us a clue how to get a few more justices on board.

Well, the 2CA just opined in NYSRPA v. Cuomo, using the now famous 2A 2-step along with a now common misreading of Heller/McDonald. Do you think that will have a bearing on a cert grant or denial in Freidman?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, the 2CA just opined in NYSRPA v. Cuomo, using the now famous 2A 2-step along with a now common misreading of Heller/McDonald. Do you think that will have a bearing on a cert grant or denial in Freidman?

Sadly, no. I think denial already happened in Friedman, we are just waiting to hear about it (dissent takes a few weeks to write). I always hope I am wrong of course. SCT has no problem denying one case only to take up the same issue in another case, later.

Actually, if we do get a dissent, that is a positive sign. Dissents from denial are rare and this would be the second on a 2A case in a 12 months. Repeated, strongly worded dissents not only give some insight as to why the court denied the case but might sway another justice or two.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Yes, it could, if they haven't already decided.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Or if they have decided, the 2nd's opinion could bring about an additional Justice to concur with any dissent from denial of cert, if one is being written.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Or if they have decided, the 2nd's opinion could bring about an additional Justice to concur with any dissent from denial of cert, if one is being written.

Apperently, the appeals judges ignore that stuff when we heard the enbanc on Richards.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I think there's a connection with Caetano. Otherwise the clerk in charge of updates is falling behind.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Want to read a laughably written article by a modern man?
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...off-a-literal-arms-race-in-the-united-states/

Should the plaintiffs ultimately prevail in this case, however, it’s not hard to imagine what would happen. Gun manufacturers who develop new and more efficient weapons would have a strong incentive to distribute those weapons to as many people as quickly as possible — even at prices that would not be profitable for the gun maker in the short term — so that those weapons would gain the special constitutional protection sought by the plaintiffs in Friedman.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Scotusblog has Friedman on their re-list watch.
    They also mention Voisine v US.

Meanwhile, Voisine v. United States, 14-10154, probably returns for a second time. The petitioners in Voisine challenge convictions under 28 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9), which makes it unlawful for someone “who ha been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” to possess any firearm or ammunition. The petition asks (1) whether “a misdemeanor crime with the mens rea of recklessness qualif[ies] as a ‘misdemeanor crime of domestic violence’ as defined by 18 U.S.C. §§ 921(a)(33)(A) and 922(g)(9)” and (2) whether Section 922(g)(9) is unconstitutional under the Second Amendment. Friedman v. City of Highland Park, 15-133, also probably gets a second relist. That case involves a Second Amendment challenge to a Highland Park, Illinois ordinance banning large-capacity magazines and assault weapons. The Court has been avoiding Second Amendment cases for several Terms, but perhaps we’re due for a surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom