• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Picked up a magazine dedicated to the AR platform yesterday, and there was an article in it, showing a .300 WSM complete upper for DPMS platform .308 lowers.

19", 22" and 24" complete uppers are available.

Pretty decent accuracy obtained from the tested 24" upper, until the barrel heated up.

https://www.kakindustry.com/uppers/kak-300-wsm-complete-22in-magnum-upper-w-m-lok

Decisions. Decisions. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess. If I wanted extra stomping power in an AR-10, I’d consider going .338 Federal instead.

byf43

I guess. If I wanted extra stomping power in an AR-10, I’d consider going .338 Federal instead.

I've always been interested in the .338 Federal, since Day 1.

I think it's dying a slow death, just like the .45 GAP, though.
    (Dying slower than the .300 Remington Short Action Ultra-Mag aka/ SAUM that I bought a while back!) :sad20:

Also, I don't recall hearing/reading about the AR platform in .30-'06 and .300 WinMag and 7mm Mag.

I gotta get out more often!

byf43

You can get the chamber reamed for WSM instead of SAUM. You can also get an AR-15 chambered in WSSM.

Jim, I've looked at the specs of both and have considered getting the chamber of my SAUM re-cut for WSM.
    Don't know of any shop(s) around here that could/would do that job.
    :shrug:

Bolt face is comparable, etc.

Did NOT know about the AR platform in WSSM.

I did recently buy a .458 SOCOM upper for the AR platform, but, haven't mounted the optic or even thought about sighting it in.
    (And with my usual 'luck', as soon as I bought it, "on sale", it went even cheaper a week later!) :mad54:

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    A 300 WSW with a 19 inch barrel would be a flame thrower. I would like to see the percussion from that. yikes........

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've always been interested in the .338 Federal, since Day 1.

I think it's dying a slow death, just like the .45 GAP, though.
    (Dying slower than the .300 Remington Short Action Ultra-Mag aka/ SAUM that I bought a while back!) :sad20:

Also, I don't recall hearing/reading about the AR platform in .30-'06 and .300 WinMag and 7mm Mag.

I gotta get out more often!

For me it’s a cost issue. An AR-06 platform that was as standardized as AR-10 would be awesome. But the ones I’ve seen run about $2500, which is well out of my price range.

I am trying to get in to reloading soon. If I can and do, I might try .338 Federal. I need to look in to how easy or hard it is to reload for it. Just sizing up the necks?

There are some other heavy thumpers out there in short action, but even more boutique. Don’t need one any day soon, but I’ve got two unbuilt Aero M5. Ones going to be an 18” .308 hunting rifle. Some day I’d like to build a 20-22” .308 upper, 6.5CM 24” upper and maybe a 16” or 18” .338F upper.

220gr .338 has a LOT of energy behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom