• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Maryland Ordered to Draw New Congressional District Map for 2020
    https://www.courthousenews.com/maryland-ordered-to-draw-new-congressional-district-map-for-2020/

Maryland officials must draw up a new congressional district map that isn’t tainted by partisan gerrymandering, a three-judge panel has ruled.

The decision, handed down in the U.S. District Court in Maryland on Wednesday, stems from a challenge by several Republican voters who live in the state’s 6th congressional district and claimed state officials unfairly redrew the boundaries of their district in 2011 to favor Democrats.

On review, U.S. Circuit Judge Paul Niemeyer, Chief U.S. District Judge James Bredar and U.S. District George Russell concluded what they deemed the “dramatic redrawing” of the district roundly disfavored Republican voters.

“In creating the map, the State, on net, removed roughly 66,000 registered Republicans from the Sixth District and added some 24,000 registered Democrats … bringing about the single greatest alteration of voter makeup in any district in the nation following the 2010 census,” Judge Neimeyer wrote.

“To be sure, citizens have no constitutional right to be assigned to a district that is likely to elect a representative that shares their views,” he continued. “But they do have a right under the First Amendment not to have the value of their vote diminished because of the political views they have expressed through their party affiliation and voting history.”

Chief Judge Bredar wrote in a concurring opinion that he found what Maryland did “noxious” and “a cancer on our democracy.”

The panel ordered state officials to submit a new map to the court by March 7, 2019, that adheres to the Maryland Constitution’s requirements for “contiguity, compactness, regard for natural boundaries, and regard for boundaries of political subdivisions.”

If state officials fail to do so by the deadline, the judges said they will appoint a commission to produce a redistricting plan.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    First, it's good news.

Also, there's no other Maryland-specific location for this sort of thing. I imagine it may have 2A implications down the road, as redistricting may break the Dem stranglehold on the GA's veto process. Gerrymandering was a motivation for supporting Hogan in this election cycle as well, and noted in a number of posts here.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    First, it's good news.

Also, there's no other Maryland-specific location for this sort of thing. I imagine it may have 2A implications down the road, as redistricting may break the Dem stranglehold on the GA's veto process. Gerrymandering was a motivation for supporting Hogan in this election cycle as well, and noted in a number of posts here.

I'm not sure, but I don't think this is redistricting for the state's General Assembly, but for the congressional districts for the U.S. House. I could be wrong but that is how I have heard the situation is and doesn't involve the state GA. But I may have misunderstood your post as well. If so,oops. :sad20:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Maryland doesn't have another state election until 2022..plenty of time for the liberals in Assapolis to find away around this...how about flooding western Md, the eastern shore and Harford and Carroll counties with section 8 housing??

Already been done.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm not sure, but I don't think this is redistricting for the state's General Assembly, but for the congressional districts for the U.S. House. I could be wrong but that is how I have heard the situation is and doesn't involve the state GA. But I may have misunderstood your post as well. If so,oops. :sad20:

I dunno either. But since Federal courts are involved, it's certainly US House districts; anything else would be a bonus.

Anyway, the GA districts are pretty chopped up as well. Apparently the courts were involved back in 2002. Here's a link to maps of these districts, if anyone's interested:
    https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/map/html/map.html

And here's a link to the Maryland Constitution's rules on various districts. It looks as though all districts get re-evaluated and re-drawn after the decennial census. Apparently the Governor sends the new maps to the GA for their input; if they don't change it, it becomes law. I assume they will challenge Hogan's map, then we may have a court fight for the MD Senate and House of Delegates.
    https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/03art3.html

Mr H

Banana'd

I believe you are correct.

Maryland officials must draw up a new congressional district map

(my emphasis)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

You are correct, this suit only involves US House of Representative Districts. Nothing whatsoever to do with MD GA gerrymandering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom