• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Yeah it was all catch and release. I was only a kid, but now thinking back on it I bet it was right after they stocked it or something. I don’t eat any fish other than rockfish, although I’ve heard crappie are awesome tasting.

I think patauxant ponds on patauxant road has a little park or something there for fishsing. I’ll have to check it out next time I drive by.

I have been to kinder a ton of times. Never for fishing though. I’ve seen people fishing but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone catch something.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yeah it was all catch and release...
    I was joking with you...Obviously we'd have to know their names to know if they were still there.
    I was only a kid, but now thinking back on it I bet it was right after they stocked it or something. I don’t eat any fish other than rockfish, although I’ve heard crappie are awesome tasting.
    Crappies are very good eating fish for freshwater fish.

They are not normally stocked, due to how destructive they are to (baby) bass populations, but fish eggs of all sorts can come in on waterfowl belly feathers.
    I think patauxant ponds on patauxant road has a little park or something there for fishsing. I’ll have to check it out next time I drive by.
    Says here that Patuxant park offers fishing:http://www.recreationparks.net/MD/anne-arundel/patuxent-ponds-park-odenton

There is information on other AA County parks at that same link.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    We tried Fort Smallwood, but didn’t catch anything. So we went to a friends neighborhood pier where my oldest on the left caught this catfish. I’m gonna check out some of the other places y’all suggested next weekend.

Attachments

• B8F881DD-BD50-4681-9C05-5CFA624B2464.jpg
      B8F881DD-BD50-4681-9C05-5CFA624B2464.jpg
      100.9 KB · Views: 166

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Great picture!! I had my daughter kiss her first fish. Has given her good luck ever since, I tell her. :innocent0

I stopped by Patuxent Pond this afternoon and took a walk about halfway around the pond before the skeets ran me off. Nice afternoon for skeets, cool, overcast, dripping rain... I stomped on the bank in a few places and fish went everywhere, so there still seems to be a bunch of little guys hanging around.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Great picture!! I had my daughter kiss her first fish. Has given her good luck ever since, I tell her. :innocent0

I stopped by Patuxent Pond this afternoon and took a walk about halfway around the pond before the skeets ran me off. Nice afternoon for skeets, cool, overcast, dripping rain... I stomped on the bank in a few places and fish went everywhere, so there still seems to be a bunch of little guys hanging around.

Is that the pond off patuxent road in Odenton? That’s about 2 miles away from my house.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Is that the pond off patuxent road in Odenton? That’s about 2 miles away from my house.
    Yes, follow Piney Orchard from O-denton down past the river and through Woodwardville, it'll be on the right about another mile down.
    Any idea what they could expect to catch there? I’m guessing a typical night crawler and bobber would work?
    Small largemouth bass and stunted sunfish, but great for keeping the kids entertained. Used to be a few rock bass (red eyes) in there too. A hook & bobber with a worm might be too big for many of them, although I have caught bass up to legal size in the past, with one or two in the 14-15" range. The larger bass were caught on unconventional bass lures (Pork-Os, streamer flies on a #8 rod), while people flayed the water with buzzbaits, spinners and plastic - they were pretty well educated.

I haven't fished it in years, and mainly did so because I was taking kids out. Used to be able to toss a piece of bread on the water and the 2"-4" bluegills would boil. If you use a very small (#10-12) hook and a small scrap of worm, they'll hook more and the bait will last longer.

I would think that by now, there would be a few snakeheads in there too.

Take bug spray (or Skin-So-Soft).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom