• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congrats man!

Thanks!

Now I just have to sell my old house before going bankrupt :-(

Probably will sell fast. If anyone wants to move to Sykesville (HoCo) and wants a fully updated 1960s 3 bed 2.5 bath rancher on an acre with a huge 2-car garage w/ workshop, hit me up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Your wife will be suprised at how high deer can jump

8’ for some exceptional WT, 6-7’ for an average one. Though everything I’ve read and what I’ve observed they are only going to jump something over about 6’ if scared or really hungry.

Fence is 4x4” sunk 2’ deep, chicken wire and will have string or wire angled out at 45 degrees along the top raised about another foot above the posts around the whole perimeter.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks!

Now I just have to sell my old house before going bankrupt :-(

Probably will sell fast. If anyone wants to move to Sykesville (HoCo) and wants a fully updated 1960s 3 bed 2.5 bath rancher on an acre with a huge 2-car garage w/ workshop, hit me up.

Sounds like my dream home. All we have to do is move it to N. Carolina. :D

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Your wife will be suprised at how high deer can jump

I was walking out 20 years ago after bow hunting. The 10 point was sleeping on the edge of the power lines in a hole in Mutiflora rose. He jumped up not 6 feet from me and looking like no where to go but over me. We just looked at each other for a second and I raided my bow figuring I'd put them in his antlers to prevent being gored> I guess he figured I was going to shoot him, turned 180° and jumped 8' in the air over that multiflora rose. I just stood there with my mouth open. I had no idea they could jump that high.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    8’ for some exceptional WT, 6-7’ for an average one. Though everything I’ve read and what I’ve observed they are only going to jump something over about 6’ if scared or really hungry.

Fence is 4x4” sunk 2’ deep, chicken wire and will have string or wire angled out at 45 degrees along the top raised about another foot above the posts around the whole perimeter.

Once the garden is going pretty good "forget" to close the gate every now and then.Let your wife get annoyed enough at the deer so that one day she wont decide that you shouldnt be hunting your neighborhood deer :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Once the garden is going pretty good "forget" to close the gate every now and then.Let your wife get annoyed enough at the deer so that one day she wont decide that you shouldnt be hunting your neighborhood deer :D

She and the next door neighbor are already both okay with me hunting the neighborhood deer.

Someone has a deer stand behind my house (on their property) and the next door neighbor says all the neighbors she knows are okay with hunting. Also that I can hunt stuff on her property too. My house and hers were originally a 8.8 acre parcel that was divided in to 4.4 each and homes built. The ones around us are 1.6-3 acre properties and a couple of unbuilt 1.6 acre wooded parcels behind. Creek at the bottom/back of the property with the house at the top. Shaped like a T with 1.3 acres on the vertical part of the T and the other 3.1 on the horizontal part of the T. The street in front is as the bottom of the hill, slopes up to the house and then back down to the creek. About 2 acres of the property is fairly flat along the top of the hill.

It would be nice if the rest of the neighbors were 4-5 acres also, so they’d probably be further away, but far enough to be comfortable to bow hunt on some of the property for deer and plenty safe to pot the occasional rabbit, Fox or coon with a 22 if I am being even modestly cautious.

No 80 acre farm, but a heck of a lot nicer than the old place.

Which isn’t that my old place wasn’t nice, just not big enough for my family as my 3 kids are getting a lot older (oldest is in middle school in the fall) with a 3 bedroom house, my wife works from home and I telework 2 days a week. I enjoy hunting and my wife loves to gardens. We have chickens and my wife wants goats. An acre and 3 beds just wasn’t enough.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I finally had a chance to walk the property better. Of course when it was pouring yesterday. I figured I was already soaked putting in posts. 4 deer trails parallel to the creek staggered every 10 yds and a crossing over the creek too that joins up with the lower one. This strip of wood (about 100 yds wide, about 60yds is on my property, 40yds on the other side) is definitely the deer highway from the park up in to the neighborhood for the deer to eat everyone’s gardens and hostas.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    If the deer are meandering too much go on to FB marketplace and get some cheap posts and old wire. Wire off where you don't want them moving and they will funnel where you do what them moving near your tree stand.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If the deer are meandering too much go on to FB marketplace and get some cheap posts and old wire. Wire off where you don't want them moving and they will funnel where you do what them moving near your tree stand.

Waste of money.

Deer jump 8 feet chain link fence, with 3 rows of barbed wire easily.

The trick on how they do it, is by getting a running start. Ask security people who watch the monitors at night, it does happen.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Waste of money.

Deer jump 8 feet chain link fence, with 3 rows of barbed wire easily.

Deer "CAN" jump 8 feet but they are pretty lazy and probably won't unless they have to. If they can crawl under or go around it they will. They are pretty good at conserving energy. Plus many articles say they have poor depth perception so fencing can be pretty effective to prevent them from jumping over it. I think it's harder to stop them from crawling under or through it.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Deer "CAN" jump 8 feet but they are pretty lazy and probably won't unless they have to.

Right there! You can funnel deer by putting a stick between strands of wire and spreading it open. Deer jump a 4' 4x4 cattle fence and run white cotton string 1' higher where you don't want them to jump and they will jump it where you didn't put it. Cut the fence in one spot and they will all funnel through there. Deer can jump 8' and I have see them face plant jumping 4' for not trying hard enough. They don't want to spend any more energy than they have too.

Deer will take the lazy way, just like people will.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Same pair back by my fence again this morning (just now). They are staying about 10yds below it and eating along one of the trails. There’s some open spots along the trails well on to my property. So not sure I’ll need to funnel them at all. We’ll see how they are moving come fall.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Current view from my bedroom window. Even if I never have a shot at any of them, I am loving the new place. I can see 4 of them bedded down. If it’s the same herd I saw a few nights ago (a couple of them look familiar) then there are three I can’t see.

Never seen deer bedded before (well, for more than about 2 seconds before they stood up and bolted).

Attachments

• 91BFA9BD-E792-43AF-8F4B-2CEF6241E846.jpg
      91BFA9BD-E792-43AF-8F4B-2CEF6241E846.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 197

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    2019 Saskatchewan Spring Black Bear

I just came back from a northern Saskatchewan spring black bear hunt. The pics do the explaining. This was my first time using a smaller guide service who had exclusive government provincial access to property around the Clarence Steepbank Lake in Saskatchewan. The quality of black bears is higher and larger but fewer. I was praying to harvest a chocolate but I had the opportunity on the second night that I could not pass up. The guide service proved themselves when it came to tracking my bear the following morning, yes, I had a not-so-great shot at 8:15pm and it was decided to search for it the following morning with a minuscule blood trail. Needless to say.....this boar was a pumpkin head bruiser. If you want more info on the guide or what services they offer, PM me and I can fill you in.

Attachments

• IMG_8113 (1).jpg
      IMG_8113 (1).jpg
      107.1 KB · Views: 163
    • Face out .jpg
      Face out .jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 166

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members