• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was working from home today, so I took the morning off and went up to Hap with my son for his first trip to the range. He's shot my youth 20ga at trap for a few shots and decided he had enough (he has expressed a willingness to try again, especially now that I have the ancient hard butt pad replaced, yes I was using low recoil shells. It is also a 5lb single shot). He went 2 for 4 though, which I've watched people shoot 2-3 entire rounds of trap their very first time shooting a shotgun and maybe break 1 or 2 clays the entire time. I've also seen people do better. My first time I went 11 for 25. I was also 32 and I had shot guns a few times before then.

Anyway, took my 10/22 up as well as my AR-15 to check my new BCG and ensure zero with it.

He went through a 50rnd box and called it a day. Mostly it was the ear protectors bothering him as he didn't want to take them off during the cease fire so they started to hurt his ears. He enjoyed the heck out of it otherwise and was an amazingly good listener and very attentive to safety. Only time he "messed up" is he put is forearm down on a just ejected casing and dropped the rifle since he burned himself (I mean, we are taking the butt dropped 2 inches on to the bench, but still). He was also really jittery whenever anyone fired a heavier rifle, but he was settling down by the end.

He wants to go back. I told him it might be awhile before I can. He said it was okay if I didn't take him back until next month!

Hahaha, taking after me I guess :-)

Did pretty darned good for shooting an adult LOP 10/22 on his first trip.

He wanted to stretch it out to 50, so about half the box was done at 25 and the rest at 50. After about 10 rounds I left each mag he double feed and he was good at waiting between each shot until I told him he could fire. After about 20rnds I loaded the mags full and repeated the exercise. He didn't once shoot until I told him on each shot it was okay.

Picture is of the 50yd target, only a 1-4x32 scope on the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_2910.jpg
      IMG_2910.jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 316

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also today with the family away to the beach as of now I am cutting down the stock. Taking the barrel band off and cutting it back at an angle and easing that down. Cutting the stupid butt plate of and sanding it smooth and attaching a 1/2" thick pachmayr butt pad and sanding the whole thing clean and putting some walnut finish and then sealer on it.

I just dropped on my JHM extended bolt handle. My son could barely cock it, in part because of the extra leverage needed with the tiny stock bolt handle. I wanted a longer handle anyway.

Overall I am only dropping the LOP about 1/2" total because it is still a rifle for me and I don't want to cramp up on the scope. I'll get a Ruger American rimfire with the different LOP pieces so I can swap it because a youth and an adult stock. He only really needs an inch off the stock to be a comfortable LOP. He is already almost 5ft tall (he is 9).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A little better. :-D

My wife has agreed once each kid turns 8 they can start learning to shoot. I'll take it. Next one can start learning next year and youngest in 3 more years.

Took awhile to negotiate letting me teach our oldest. My wife is slow with the shooting thing, but I can generally talk her around given time.

And shit, my wife has also finally agreed once the kids are in school in the fall she will finally let me take her to the range!!!

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Great job taking your son to the range like that! I second the wall art idea. My boy has targets stuck in the corner of his dresser mirror, it's a nice reinforcement of something special!

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    Great pic! Bet your feeling pretty proud. Can't wait until the day me and hubby can get my daughter out to the range. She is 6 and already showing interest

rickinboots

TEAM GET' UM
    Jun 12, 2011
    Pasadena
    Range

I remember my daughters first time. I took her when she was 10, now she's 13 and shooting my 300 bo Ruger American.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
      IMG_0078.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom