• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    http://www.wboc.com/story/35625426/...cal-marker-be-removed-from-downtown-salisbury

A petition is circulating to remove a historical marker of a Confederate general from downtown Salisbury.

The marker commemorates John Henry Winder, a general in the army of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. Born in Somerset County in 1800, Winder commanded all of the military prison camps of the Confederacy. The marker stands outside the Old Wicomico County Courthouse.

James Yamakawa, leader of Showing Up for Racial Justice, or SURJ, created the petition. Yamakawa says the history of the land it stands on plays a significant role in why it must be removed.

Yamakawa says he believes the marker should be removed, not to erase history, but to respect the painful reminder of that area’s history.

“It’s more about the image,” Yamakwa said. “This is a sign for a Confederate general in charge of prisons for the Confederacy in shouting distance from a place where a man was lynched and a place where slaves were bought and sold. That says something."

This guy is a serial race baiter and white apologist. :mad54:

A little background on this fool....

http://www.lowereasternshorenews.com/2016/12/james-yamakawa-your-local-race-baiter.html
    http://www.delmarvanow.com/story/ne...mark-salisbury-lynching-anniversary/94668142/

and oh, he's so BRAVE :rolleyes: https://thesewallsblog.com/2016/10/10/the-everyday-brave-james-yamakawa/

Jun 2, 2017
    There are plenty of valid causes to push back against the childish SJWs on, but I will never understand the desire to celebrate a treasonous army. If you believe in protecting history then let monuments reside in a museum.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I used to live in Salisbury and worked near the plaza.

I never noticed the sign. But then again I wasn't looking for it.

I'm offended by all kinds of crap. I choose not to look at or experience it. It's easy.

Pissing and moaning should not be an occupation or preoccupation.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    There are plenty of valid causes to push back against the childish SJWs on, but I will never understand the desire to celebrate a treasonous army. If you believe in protecting history then let monuments reside in a museum.

Still an American army, led by American generals, fighting with American men. Their idea of less obtrusive government was closer to what our founders had in mind than what Lincoln created. I find it pathetic when people get butt hurt over a monument honoring an American veteran.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wish you'd keep yours to yourself. This is history, these men were mostly Union soldiers who graduated from West Point. The south seceded due to their beliefs and the Union imposing their will on the state (sorta like the Obummer years). It is a monument to the man or men, not the cause. Erase history then your gonna relive it!!!

Jun 2, 2017
    Still an American army, led by American generals, fighting with American men. Their idea of less obtrusive government was closer to what our founders had in mind than what Lincoln created. I find it pathetic when people get butt hurt over a monument honoring an American veteran.

The Confederate Army fought for the antithesis of one of the Founders main principles, mainly that "All men are created equal". What's hilarious is the "butt hurt" is apparent on both sides of the issue. People are enraged that a piece of rock that they never visit is going to be moved somewhere else.

Jun 2, 2017
    I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wish you'd keep yours to yourself. This is history, these men were mostly Union soldiers who graduated from West Point. The south seceded due to their beliefs and the Union imposing their will on the state (sorta like the Obummer years). It is a monument to the man or men, not the cause. Erase history then your gonna relive it!!!

I have immediate family who are West Point graduates currently serving, who would not have been allowed to if the ideals that the confederacy fought for were today's reality. You cannot separate men from their deeds, in this case fighting for the right to choose to own other humans. I wouldn't erase this history, I'd put it in a museum where it belongs.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My wife was born in the capital of the confederacy and we still have family living in Richmond. Never a problem with any of these historical monuments until the asshat murdered the innocents in the church. Now it seems that everything confederate has to go. What's next...a drape across Stone Mountain so it can't be seen and cause feelings of hate and discrimination from the road? Let's tear down the Jefferson memorial or the Lincoln Memorial for they too "owned" humans. If we can't separate the men from their deeds. Half of D.C. Would be torn down. When is enough enough?

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    If you think slavery was the only reason Confederates faught then you have either fallen for the revisionists version of history or are just not that knowledgeable about the war.

I make a motion that we should remove all WWII memorials in the US because they fought to put Japanese Americans into internment camps. Sarcasm of course.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have immediate family who are West Point graduates currently serving, who would not have been allowed to if the ideals that the confederacy fought for were today's reality. You cannot separate men from their deeds, in this case fighting for the right to choose to own other humans. I wouldn't erase this history, I'd put it in a museum where it belongs.

Sir, you haven't got a clue why most men of the South fought in that war. My several-greats grandfather and other kin folk didn't own any slaves and given that they were subsistence farmers and itinerant preachers it was highly unlikely they ever would. They fought because Virginia, their home, seceded and sent out the call for her sons to volunteer. Do we want to discuss how my Grandfather Aaron was crippled by one of the noble Boys in Blue while in a Union POW camp or perhaps why he was one of the last POWs to be released? Are we going to remove all the statues to General Sherman given his activities during his glorious "March to the Sea"? They were all Americans and brothers and that's how President Lincoln viewed them and that's good enough for me. The monuments should stay and the revisionist historians should study history instead of trying to rewrite it!

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    Everyone has an opinion on this one. Most likely formed from whatever ties to whichever side our great great grandparents were on. Whose feelings are more valid is what this comes down too. Either way one side or the other will feel slighted. There has to come a point in life where when you disagree with something if it is not physically harming your or impacting your daily life just move on.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    If you think slavery was the only reason Confederates faught then you have either fallen for the revisionists version of history or are just not that knowledgeable about the war.

I make a motion that we should remove all WWII memorials in the US because they fought to put Japanese Americans into internment camps. Sarcasm of course.
    nailed it

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County

Why go to a museum when I can read about someone local that had an impact on our nation while out walking with the family? Those monuments are there to give a little factoid of someone in the area of the monument that had an impact on history.

Should the monument of Dr. Mudd be taken down because he set the broken leg of John Wilks Booth (who he didn't know killed the President when he was treating him)? Dr. Mudd was found guilty and sent to the dry Tugas off Florida to serve his sentence.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Think those good Southern men went thru Hell, crossing that field in Gettysburg during Pickett's charge, to keep a few slaves on someone else's farm?

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

It's a significant event in our nation's history. That should not under any circumstances be downplayed or forgotten. What part of that escapes you? :mad54:

BTW, the Ds are pushing this hard because of their major hand in starting it.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Everyone has an opinion on this one. Most likely formed from whatever ties to whichever side our great great grandparents were on. Whose feelings are more valid is what this comes down too. Either way one side or the other will feel slighted. There has to come a point in life where when you disagree with something if it is not physically harming your or impacting your daily life just move on.

My great great grandparents were being used as unpaid labor somewhere in Central Europe. I have no dog in this fight, aside from being an American. The monument must stay. It commemorates an event in our nation's history. And focuses on more valor and courage than people like VirtueSIGnaler could EVER summon, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom