• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Went with a friend and my father was flagged multiple times once my a loaded gun... very unsafe. I ended up yelling at a few people. The normal range safety officer was on vacation and the young guy they had was not worth a &]{>>{

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I've been down range at Delmarva and people started shooting. There were 3 of us down range going to put up targets at the 300 yd line and a guy "thought" that someone called the range hot and started shooting at the 50 yard line. If he wasn't there with his kid, I think he would have gotten his ass kicked. I was at about 75 yds and my buddies were further out. We were a little upset to say the least.

Has anyone here been shooting on the 500 yard range and someone come out of the house? That was the last time I went shooting there, and it will be the last time I go back. It would be very easy to shoot the house on the 500 yd range if you don't know what you are doing and someone walked out while I was shooting. It was only about 10 degree's of the sweep of my barrel and I could have killed the lady.
    '

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I've been down range at Delmarva and people started shooting. There were 3 of us down range going to put up targets at the 300 yd line and a guy "thought" that someone called the range hot and started shooting at the 50 yard line. If he wasn't there with his kid, I think he would have gotten his ass kicked. I was at about 75 yds and my buddies were further out. We were a little upset to say the least.

Has anyone here been shooting on the 500 yard range and someone come out of the house? That was the last time I went shooting there, and it will be the last time I go back. It would be very easy to shoot the house on the 500 yd range if you don't know what you are doing and someone walked out while I was shooting. It was only about 10 degree's of the sweep of my barrel and I could have killed the lady.
    '
    holy crap. I saw that house and assumed it was abandoned. Not a place I would want to live.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Yikes!

I've only been there 2 or 3 times and didn't notice that stuff.

Glad I'm spoiled. Most shooting is on private property or a small private club.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I haven't been there since I had a trapper come into my view at about 60-75 yards on the clay's course. It was on a corner and he was throwing birds out over the hedgerow and I was to shoot birds that were coming left to right at a 90 degree angle from his row. My trappers response? "He's far enough away" The look in the other trappers eyes, when I was looking down my (fortunately empty) barrels at him, said something else. He also got really pissed when I refused to shoot that station. Yeap, too many other places to go to risk hurting someone.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The last two times I was there it was fairly crowded and the RSO (i think one of the owners) was very active and professional.

Sad to hear because I like this place.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Wow these things happen, it's not cool, but it happens at the best ranges....... We shouldn't vilify this range because of a few unsafe incidents. They're hundreds of people who shoot there monthly, no one bothers to comment on how safe the range is if everything goes smoothly, which is the norm, but one or two sporadic incidents deserves a thread.......

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I was there 2 weeks ago and nothing unsafe whatsoever. Had a great time and felt very safe with my fellow shooters. Its definitely a good idea to politely correct anyone doing something unsafe. They may be new to shooting.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Why do people and RSOs think yelling at people is appropriate?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I packed up early once or twice at Zekes because of non sense. If its busy that's the worst time to be there so when I do go its early because of bench space. Easy for me though because Im close by. As far as yelling between the range guy and others I never seen that. Zeke will just tell you not to come back I bet.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I was at Delmarva Friday. That is my go to range. I've never had any issues there with staff or someone shooting on a cold range. It was a young kid RSO there Friday and he made sure everyone was clear prior to going down range and made sure everyone was behind the line before going hot again. Only issue I had was some newb deciding to put his target on the same backer as mine. I told him it was going to get shot since he didn't want to see who's target that was. There is plenty of room for 2 targets, but when only 5 of the backers out of about 10 are being used, you can use another one. I actually had 2 targets on it, but the wind blew one of my stickies off..

Overall, I really like Delmarva. The wind played hell on Friday so I didn't go out to the 500.

.....and they also had 2 Ruger Precision rifles in stock. 1 in 6.5 C and another in 6mm :D... Just in case anyone is looking for one.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Personally, if there is an unsafe situation at a range while a member is there I'd like to hear about it. And a new thread is fine by me. You don't know, since the person who is reporting it was probably only there for a couple of hours, what takes place in the other 54+ hours per week.

Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Overall I've had excellent experiences the 10 or so times I've been to Delmarva Sporting Clays. I did have one incident where a group of older gentlemen decided to try to shoot revolvers from about 7 yards away when my friend and I were actively shooting steel targets from the bench line. They announced this by walking through my field of fire without so much as talking to us, or letting us know they were there. Imagine my surprise when my steel e type magically transforms into an OFWG wearing a hat and overalls. Thankfully I saw the gentleman in time and called the range cold. I asked the group what they were doing walking across a hot range, which is when they explained the 7 yard thing. They seemed off, like maybe they were high or drunk. I let the RSO know, and he took care of things very professionally. I was pretty shaken up, having almost taken out a human being and all so I packed up for the day, but I don't really blame the range for the actions of a few morons who didnt even pay the range fee. Not sure how they could have prevented that without destroying what I love most about the range: being treated like an adult until proven otherwise.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Wow these things happen, it's not cool, but it happens at the best ranges....... We shouldn't vilify this range because of a few unsafe incidents. They're hundreds of people who shoot there monthly, no one bothers to comment on how safe the range is if everything goes smoothly, which is the norm, but one or two sporadic incidents deserves a thread.......

I don't have individual threads on all the things gun related that work right, but if I have a gun blow up in my face due to a manufacturing issue, you better believe I will tell the community about it. It could save someone's life.

I'm not saying that this stuff doesn't happen at other places, but if it does, then speak up. Safety should be on everyone's mind 100% of the time while shooting. The margins are too small. It only takes one tiny screw up and someone is having a really bad day in the best case scenario or they are dead in the worst case.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I hear ya, I know it's not cool and the consequences are serious. Make sure these issues are corrected on the range. Telling us about a guy/gal that might never return to that range does me no good. Now if there is a long standing issue like unsafe backstop, structure, staff, etc I think we all need to know about that, since the chances of us experiencing that type of issue is higher. A random unsafe shooter should be dealt with at that time, no need to tell the world that you were cut off in traffic and almost had an accident. At least that's just me..... I don't do almost. People get muzzled daily professionals and the average joe, sadly it comes with the territory. We all need to keep our heads on a swivel, unsafe gun handling is something that shouldn't happen but happens to often. Took this frame from a Live PD episode a few weeks back, the guy with the revolver is the Deputy Chief.
    fef37bafd7832e90de7d195ac1a2d160.jpg

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I love Delmarva dont get me wrong its my go to range they usually run a tight ship. It was just particularly bad that day with people being unsafe. I go all the way there because I have experienced way worse at all the local indoor ranges

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom