• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Has anyone ever scoped a 44 mag super blackhawk? Thinking about doing this but I don't want to drill and tap. Looks like the only viable option is the Weaver 301 base. I would like a decent variable scope but don't want to break the bank either because if I switch back I'll end up with a scope with no use for.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Number looks familiar. If that is the mount which bolts to a barrel saddle (slide on ring) and the top mount bolts to the rear sight cut out it does work. I could shoot into an 1 1/4" at 75 yards consistently with that mount, a Simmons 2x pistol scope and good 240 grain handloads off bags. I shot some 1" groups and a 7/8" group at that distance. I used that combo for a couple years on my Super, in competition and it never failed nor allowed any shift in POI.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Did the Simmons have enough eye relief? Can't decide if I want a variable or fixed magnification.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I would suggest a 2x fixed. I have used and love the Leupold model. The big advantage in a variable is they usually have more field of view than a fixed because of a bigger objective. Unlike a variable rifle scope where you benefit from "cranking it up" to see better at distance, doing so on a pistol scope reduces FOV severely. A handgun scope at arm's length is a whole different animal than a rifle scope sitting 3.5" from your eye in regards to FOV. Even a quality 2x takes some getting used to when it comes to finding your target through it. The Leupold 2x is a quality scope that can take serious abuse, with the side benefit of being easy to resell should you not like scoping your Blackhawk in the end.

The Weaver mount you mention is a solid option and the only real choice in a solid no-drill mount. Edge custom used to make a good "claw-type" mount that was solid but after checking their site, it seems they no longer offer it.

Here's a great article with more info about all this. Hope it helps...
    http://www.handgunhunt.com/feature/s23/index.html

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Simmons have good arm's length eye relief (it was a LER scope - long eye relief). Bisleyfan left a good reason for lower powered scope. I can add lower power scopes also greatly reduce the wobble in hold so there is less tendency to frame and pull shots.

I also had a 2x Leupold, good scope, sold it for the same reason I sold all my other pistol optics...I prefer iron sights on handguns. The only handguns I have with scopes are two TC Contender 22 barrels used for Hunter's Pistol Silhouette, another for Master's competition in 7mm TCU, and red dot on a Ruger Mk II for bullseye shooting.

FWIW, shotgun scopes serve quite well in a similar role.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I may go with the fixed power. If you had a blued revolver, which color scope? Would the silver look really tacky?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd put a red dot or holo sight on it. I ran an Aimpoint clone on my Ruger MK II for Steel Challenge. No problem seeing the dot or the targets at speed. It takes getting used to if you've never used an optic on a pistol before, but for someone with aging eyes, they're really handy.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Get a SBH Hunter!

That's exactly what I wound up doing a few years ago. Wanted a straight 2x scope for one of my hunting revolvers for today's older eyes. Thought about scoping my .41 Blackhawk, as I really like that revolver, but not a lot of choices to go that route and would also miss shooting that revolver with irons. So I decided to buy a SBH Hunter instead. When you lock down on that mounting system, she's locked down tight. Ruger got that mounting system right. The accuracy of that SBH Hunter is outstanding. If OP wanted to add another gun to the collection, I'd highly recommend he look at this revolver. Zero regrets to date with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom