• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Looks like another relist. On another note, another per curiam slap down issued in Jenkins v. Hutton. Let's hope the PC slap downs continue.

There are still a number of heard cases that haven't had opinions. It's possible that extra days are added to the calendar.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Interestingly, there is a per curiam opinion in a death penalty case (Jenkins v. Hutton). The 6th had reversed a death penalty case, and the SCT reversed the 6th. The implication appears to be that Percy Hutton would get the death penalty in Ohio, albeit 30 years after the actual crime. I find that interesting because quite a few of the Justices often go out of their way to avoid applying the death penalty.

They are also taking the Wisconsin partisan gerrymandering case.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Man, if for nothing else, I can't wait for SCOTUS to decide one way or another on this case, just because MDS' self-appointed constitutional lawyers have been particularly active this past week. Wading through pages of bickering and nit-picking is labor-intensive! :) 9:30 can't come fast enough!

Man, if for nothing else, i can't wait for lawyers to start winning cases, that day can't come fast enough.

MD AWB Loss
    DC AWB Loss
    NY AWB Loss
    CT AWB Loss
    Highland Park AWB Loss
    CO Magazine Limit Loss
    SF Storage Ordinance Loss
    MD CCW Loss
    NJ CCW Loss
    CA CCW Loss
    etc

Maybe it would be a good idea to figure out why there are so many losses and figure out how to actually win.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    "Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. v. Superior Court of Cal., San Francisco City" is giving me a sense of hope.

If you were not a party, then the case gets tossed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe it would be a good idea to figure out why there are so many losses and figure out how to actually win.
    We know why we're losing: many judges tend to defer to the state's judgement. That is why the only win/loss that actually matters is at SCOTUS, which at least tends to be less deferential.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man, if for nothing else, i can't wait for lawyers to start winning cases, that day can't come fast enough.

MD AWB Loss
    DC AWB Loss
    NY AWB Loss
    CT AWB Loss
    Highland Park AWB Loss
    CO Magazine Limit Loss
    SF Storage Ordinance Loss
    MD CCW Loss
    NJ CCW Loss
    CA CCW Loss
    etc

Before first amendment principles were firmly established, all sorts of censorship and government pressure was permitted. First amendment doctrine as we know it was not really developed until the late 1920s. I am sure that there were a lot of appellate losses over that period.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. There are so many losses currently primarily because 2nd Amendment law is really only in its infancy. What really matters at this point is the quality and persuasiveness of the dissents.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Yes, that's when the 2nd Amendment addressed open carry (and concealed, for that matter, since the Amendment makes no mention of any form of carry) -- when it was penned/ratified. But the protection of carry by the 2nd Amendment did not become operative until Heller, because it wasn't until that point that the Supreme Court recognized the right as one held by individuals.

Let me get this straight: if neither party raises an argument that includes a particular Supreme Court precedent, the lower court in question is not bound by that precedent with respect to a decision it would issue in that case???

I believe the 2A was always about individuals. Heller was specifically about disconnecting the right from the militia. As described in Heller it appears the connection to the militia was a technicality. In Miller, the court did not find that he did not have a connection to the militia, just that there was no evidence that the gun itself had a connection. I am not sure it would have been that hard to demonstrate a connection given how effective normal shotguns were in WWI.

I can't tell you the specifics of when the court raises issues sua sponte. The Court tends not to raise issues by themselves, but it does happen. See Kolbe 4th circuit en banc raising an issue that was not really addressed. Normally you loose the ability to appeal an issue if you have not raised it at the initial trial. Miller is an example. The latest per curiam (Jenkins v Hutton) also talks to this issue.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    No i just checked and it is not listed yet.. IMO i do believe they are going to hold it until Newman vs FL appears before them, the accidental display of a weapon in public when he does have a ccw from FLA to conceal carry. Unless a pc or denial of cert before then. What do our "legal members think"??

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's way to early in the day to know whether it's been relisted for June 22nd. The docket may not get updated until afternoon. Some of the denials do not even appear on the docket yet.

Ask again around close of business.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    People should also keep in mind that grants during May and June are slow, until they aren't.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/SB_grantsperconference_OT15.pdf (see p 36)

The average number of grants per conference is 1-2 during May and June, until the final June week #4, when its 8.8! The range is 5-13 grants during June conference #4.

I would not yet read to much into the lack of action. They are busy writing opinions.

ETA: docket updated, Peruta and Binderup rescheduled for June 22.

If the past pattern is any predictor, I'd expect 10-15 grants next week.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Possibly all heard by obama appointees?

IANAL, but getting closer :)

We know why we're losing: many judges tend to defer to the state's judgement. That is why the only win/loss that actually matters is at SCOTUS, which at least tends to be less deferential.

Before first amendment principles were firmly established, all sorts of censorship and government pressure was permitted. First amendment doctrine as we know it was not really developed until the late 1920s. I am sure that there were a lot of appellate losses over that period.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. There are so many losses currently primarily because 2nd Amendment law is really only in its infancy. What really matters at this point is the quality and persuasiveness of the dissents.

I am aware that many people here believe that the judges are the problem. I remember sitting in the court room waiting for the Court to grant the temporary restraining order in Kolbe. I was shocked to find out that it was denied. Once I did the research, I found that, while I disagree with the Courts decision in Kolbe (district level), it is not unreasonable given how courts decide cases. If you look at all the cases that I listed, you will find, with minor exceptions, they present essentially the same argument. SCOTUS has passed on all most all of them.

There are so many losses because the plaintiffs bring the same loosing argument and expect different results. SCOTUS is not going to be more deferential because they made the rules.

I am tired of loosing and am willing to debate anyone as to why in hopes to inform more people why there are so many losses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom