• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    Applying for C&R: Zoning Question (Baltimore County)

One of the certification question requires you to affirm you are OK in regard to zoning laws. Does anyone know how or if this applies to C&R in Baltimore County, specifically Towson area?

Jul 1, 2012
    I believe that is only for FFL-01 etc that are a business.
    FFL-03 do not conduct business therefore zoning isn't an issue.

I don't recall the FFL-03 application mentioning zoning, sure you have the right form?

flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    Yup, on the 7CR form, you have to initial it. So I guess I'll just do that. Also odd is they ask for your hunting license state/number/etc. And the CLEO copy 2 doesn't let you type in the information. Not a great form.

flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    Yup, on the 7CR form, you have to initial it. So I guess I'll just do that. Also odd is they ask for your hunting license state/number/etc. And the CLEO copy 2 doesn't let you type in the information. Not a great form.
    NM. The hunting license if only if you're an alien. I guess they want to know if you're from another planet and licensed to hunt humans or something...Men in Black. lol

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    OK, my C&R officially expired on June 1, 2016. How long until I can re-apply for a new license? Is it 30 days? I didn't think I'd miss it since surplus is drying up, but it's only been two days and already I feel naked without it. It will be nice to purge the BB, however.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Mine expires in Dec and I don't want to let it lapse... should I preemptively reapply or will I get a renew reminder from ATF?

Only benefit to letting it lapse is purging your bound book. My approach is to assume I will be audited and keep records appropriately, but I'd rather be audited with a smaller BB than a thick one

Jul 1, 2012
    Mine expires in Dec and I don't want to let it lapse... should I preemptively reapply or will I get a renew reminder from ATF?

They'll send you a renewal form a few months in advance.

Only benefit to letting it lapse is purging your bound book. My approach is to assume I will be audited and keep records appropriately, but I'd rather be audited with a smaller BB than a thick one

Yeah, but you'll still have many more C&R firearms than are in the book if they physically audit the collection, which might take some 'splainin'.
    On the other hand you don't have to do the renewal form where they ask how many you bought (& sold) over the last 3 years if you let it lapse. :)

Maybe pure interweb hype but "word on the street" is if you reapply within a short time of it lapsing (whatever "short" is) it might flag you for the very reason mentioned - intentionally purging your book.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Maybe pure interweb hype but "word on the street" is if you reapply within a short time of it lapsing (whatever "short" is) it might flag you for the very reason mentioned - intentionally purging your book.

I am following their rules, so screw the ATF with a telephone pole if they have a problem with intentionally purging my BB. Not only is it perfectly legal, it is kind of stupid NOT to do it.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    ..... Yeah, but you'll still have many more C&R firearms than are in the book if they physically audit the collection, which might take some 'splainin'......
    What does this mean?

If you let your license lapse, there can be no audit and you have no collection as you've purged your bound book.

If you re-apply, you have no collection until you acquire some. So I am not understanding the reasoning.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    What does this mean?

If you let your license lapse, there can be no audit and you have no collection as you've purged your bound book.

If you re-apply, you have no collection until you acquire some. So I am not understanding the reasoning.

Good point. In addition, even if you are licensed and get popped for an audit, you don't have to meet the ATF auditor at your house. I think one guy on here met the agent at a coffee shop. At no time should the auditor see any of your firearms, only your bound book.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, but you'll still have many more C&R firearms than are in the book if they physically audit the collection, which might take some 'splainin'.

Wouldn't this also imply that any 50+ year old rifles one owned prior to becoming C&R licensed would have to be entered into your book upon issue of the 03?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Not sure but i would think that the likely hood of you being audited will greatly depend on what they see in a dealers books or a rifle you sold that someone gets caught with that was not allowed to have it( since long guns are Ftf). If a dealer is screwing up and you have guns bought from their book Im sure they might seek you out. Checking your books will/ should then show that you recorded that weapon at that time.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I'm not completely sure (never been audited) but I think during an audit they CAN inspect any weapon entered in your book, to check description, serial #, etc. but there's no requirement to inspect everything in your safe, you just bring out the one(s) they ask for. If you have previously purged a BB they will have no way to know about anything that was in the old book.

If you already have some C&R firearms before you get a license, the only need to enter one in your book would be if you sell it while you have an active license. Then the acquisition section would simply say something like "previous collection prior to license" and you would enter it as an AQ immediately before entering the disposition.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Curious question about the C&R Renewal. If your number changed but it was considered a renewal, does the black book have to restart?

Assuming yes to a new book since it's a new license with a new Exp Date and since my license number actually changed its basically brand new?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Curious question about the C&R Renewal. If your number changed but it was considered a renewal, does the black book have to restart?

Assuming yes to a new book since it's a new license with a new Exp Date and since my license number actually changed its basically brand new?

I would think that if your number changed then you would start a new book. You might hold onto the old book "just in case" .

Jul 1, 2012
    It depends what you mean by "changed".
    The 9th digit always changes, it is the last digit of the year it expires.
    If nothing else changed, continue with same book.

1-23-456-03-9A-12345

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    It depends what you mean by "changed".
    The 9th digit always changes, it is the last digit of the year it expires.
    If nothing else changed, continue with same book.

1-23-456-03-9A-12345

Thats the nugget of info I was looking for. That is the only digit that changed.

Strange that the FFL hotline number didn't know that, but when I talked to the examiner she made it sound like this was common (and now that I know why, it ought to be).

I'll continue my book then, glad I asked!

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I finally got around to applying for my C&R FFL. I knew there wasn't much to it but it was actually a little easier than I expected. I found really good website that walks you through it step by step for what to fill out (link below) I was under the impression you had to call or contact the CLEO however all you need to do is mail them a designated part of your application. I used the Baltimore County Sheriff.

http://www.garandgear.com/cnr_ffl_03

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom