• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In a fixed breech pistol, "total recoil" would be a factor of velocity x total weight of ejecta , ie weight of bullet plus unburned powder and gasses .

Subjectively in a semiautomatic , the slide velocity , influenced by the pressure curve will modify the percieved nature of the recoil.

Since stated goal is use in major matches while meeting your required Power Factor, and cheapest not mentioned, then look at the above link for Atlanta Arms & Ammo for actual Match ammo.

9mm 147 gr Elete Match is specifically designed for matches requiring 125 PF. Nominal published vel is 900fps, for approx 132PF . As always verify chrono results through your specic pistol before stacking deep by the case .

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    In a fixed breech pistol, "total recoil" would be a factor of velocity x total weight of ejecta , ie weight of bullet plus unburned powder and gasses .

Subjectively in a semiautomatic , the slide velocity , influenced by the pressure curve will modify the percieved nature of the recoil.

Since stated goal is use in major matches while meeting your required Power Factor, and cheapest not mentioned, then look at the above link for Atlanta Arms & Ammo for actual Match ammo.

9mm 147 gr Elete Match is specifically designed for matches requiring 125 PF. Nominal published vel is 900fps, for approx 132PF . As always verify chrono results through your specic pistol before stacking deep by the case .

Solid post thanks! I'll order some of the Atlanta arms stuff to try.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I decided a few years ago to shoot only 147g 9mm in important matches because the slower recoil allowed me to do faster followups. While I bought bullets to reload I tested about 6 different factory loads that all had velocities in the 900-1000 range plus some reloads from a CA company I had used before. What I found was the 4 of the loads (3 factory and the CA reloads) shot to my sight zero out of the box while the other 3 of them shot low left for some reason. Both of the Winchester WB shot low left including the regular 147g and the 3-gun version (don't remember the third off hand, might have been Remington). The Federal, Fiochi, and Speer all shot to zero as did the reloads (LAX). This was out of my G34 (LW barrel). Don't know why. Maybe the recoil was different enough to cause me to shoot there but I doubt it.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Just shoot your reloads. Take your time loading up the good match stuff. Case gauge it all. You know what works. You know your ammo is good. How many malfunctions have you had with your reloads?

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Just make sure what ever you use you chrono in your gun prior to the match. Even guys shooting factory ammo get surprised at chrono from time to time. From what I understand a few guys failed at the Mid Atlantic last weekend with factory ammo.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shot a local match a couple years back with ammunition at 115 pf. I thought it was the bee's knees for Steel Challenge. Then I got some coated bullets and put the over 3.2gr of Titegroup. That made minor power factor with the same weight bullet (147). Then I got a 9mm AR. The 115 pf ammunition was hitting 135 power factor. It was quiet, accurate, and pretty cheap to reload. Bullet seating is the same with the lead 147s and the coated 147s. The lead 147s have 2.4gr of Titegroup behind them. It's actually a great competition load for my 16" dedicated 9mm AR. I've been getting 3s during stages with a carbine I've barely shot. Once I get the magazine reliability situated, I'm going to crush in USPSA and Steel Challenge. Assuming my vehicle doesn't get totaled on the way back from Quantico again.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually the OP doesn't want the * Softest * recoil, he wants a certain level, and no more.

The above referenced Atlanta Arms & Ammo also offers an Elete Steel Challenge loading , 115gr @ rated 1070fps . But doesn't meet the other parameter of desired Power Factor.

Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    I like the 147 gr from freedom munitions for GSSF, they list FPS, but not sure if it will hit your power factor.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads