• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I know this is asked many many times and I apologize for asking this again. I have a Savage M12 VLP and want to mount a 6x24x56mm 30mm scope on it. I am thinking of using a Seekins 20 moa base and their rings. I am thinking their med. high rings ? but I could need highs?? Does anyone have a setup similar to this? I sent Seekins an email but so far no reply. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to deal with returns. Thanks, Ron

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I guess I am imputing improper values for my scope and ring set up... so I am resorting to a method I learned from a Brownells video some time ago. I've decided not to use a 20 moa base for the time being as I am concerned about being able to get a 100 yd. zero and I do most of my shooting at 100 to 500 yds. Seekins does not offer a zero or 10 moa cant base for Savage so I am using my current base which is a Burris 2 piece X tactical steel base. On to the method, two one inch or so balls of modelling clay formed somewhat square and placed on my bases, scope with covers placed on top of the clay squares and then carefully pressed down until I visually get the amount of clearance I want between the objective lens with covers and the barrel. I was able to check bolt handle clearance also at this time. Carefully removed scope from clay and measured the thickness of clay where the scope formed a "saddle" this gave me a value of .380". I double checked with another method and that was to make two stacks of pennies on the base then place the scope on top of them It took 6 pennies to raise my scope/covers over the barrel, the pennies measured .351". I now am reasonably sure that a set of Seekins high rings with a measurement of .380" measured from the base to bottom of scope tube will work... also their med. high with a meas. of .330" might work without lens covers.If anyone sees a flaw in my methods please let me know....Thanks again to everyone who took the time to answer I appreciate it.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    If you are shooting 100-500 why don't you zero for 300 and have a 100-200 yd. hold over. Additionally what type of scope are you using and reticle. If you have a 20 MOA base, are you not able to dial down you zero on the turrets? I know some scopes have the turret stop in place but you can always have about 10 MOA to play with on the bottom end

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Sorry, taking this off topic a bit. Anyone know of a good 30 MOA savage base? Seeing 20's everywhere but my dad needs a 30.

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    I have seen people hit 1200 with a 20 MOA base. I know he probably doesn't want to hear this but he might need to look at another piece of glass if he doesn't like bottoming out and relying on reticle. What optic is he using currently?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have seen people hit 1200 with a 20 MOA base. I know he probably doesn't want to hear this but he might need to look at another piece of glass if he doesn't like bottoming out and relying on reticle. What optic is he using currently?

Guess it depends on the cartridge.

He ran out of room on my .308 at 1050 with a 20MOA base.

He is using the vortex 6-24 PST...still don't want to be down at the bottom of that scope. $200 base is better than $3k scope.

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    If you are shooting 100-500 why don't you zero for 300 and have a 100-200 yd. hold over. Additionally what type of scope are you using and reticle. If you have a 20 MOA base, are you not able to dial down you zero on the turrets? I know some scopes have the turret stop in place but you can always have about 10 MOA to play with on the bottom end

Scope is a Zeiss Diavari with a duplex. I am presently using Burris 2 piece mounts and Sig Zee rings. Using the inserts I am able to cant the scope 10 moa and this seems to be enough for my purpose. One trouble I was having was that the scope was slipping in the Burris rings even when I torqued them to proper values.This was what got me thinking about using different rings and base.Rifle is a 300 WSM. I took everything apart and cleaned the rings and inserts again and then re torqued. This has stopped the slippage.So for now I am good. Ken Farrell's bases and rings are very nice but cost nearly $400... at least they answered my email. Seekins was a cheaper way to go and their rings/base looked good also but I got no response from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom