• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Anybody have one of these? I've been seriously thinking about trying my hand at IDPA so I went to my LGS to see if they had a g34 and they did! So I bought one. Should be able to pick it up next Sat. I was just wondering if anyone else here has one and if the gun has any quirks I should know about?

By far and away my favorite pistol. If I had to give up all pistols but one, this is the one I'd keep. It's a tack driver, fun to shoot, and reliable. I have the gen 3, which still came with the 3.5 lb trigger. If I recall, I think they stopped putting those in from the factory starting with the gen 4's but its an easy fix. Great buy, I think you are going to be very happy with it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    By far and away my favorite pistol. If I had to give up all pistols but one, this is the one I'd keep. It's a tack driver, fun to shoot, and reliable. I have the gen 3, which still came with the 3.5 lb trigger. If I recall, I think they stopped putting those in from the factory starting with the gen 4's but its an easy fix. Great buy, I think you are going to be very happy with it.

I have the same. It's a great gun.
    You won't be disappointed!!!

Only thing that took getting used to for me was the magazine release button. Dunno about the Gen4 and Gen5 models, but the 3 was almost sharp and can be a bit uncomfortable depending on how you grip, your hand-size, etc... Minor quibble though.

Enjoy!

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have the same. It's a great gun.
    You won't be disappointed!!!

Only thing that took getting used to for me was the magazine release button. Dunno about the Gen4 and Gen5 models, but the 3 was almost sharp and can be a bit uncomfortable depending on how you grip, your hand-size, etc... Minor quibble though.

Enjoy!

The one I bought is a Gen 3 and it has the 3.5lb trigger :thumbsup:. It also has the extended mag release. I have the same release on the P80 I built. I just took some fine sandpaper and carefully knocked the edges and points off and now it's fine. I did check the g34 and it seems they took care of it at the factory. I'm glad to hear you guys saying how much you like yours. I was very surprised at how nice the one I'm getting is. It's as if it came tuned from a Pro Shop (does Glock have a Pro shop?)

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I hope ya'll don't think these guns come with a 3.5lb trigger.
    They have what GLOCK used to say was a 3.5 connector but now say is a 4.5 connector.
    They come with a minus (-) connector which puts the stock trigger pull around 5.5lbs.
    You can get the trigger to 3.5lbs or less but it will take a little work, and a few new parts.
    Or you can buy someone's trigger kit.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    very popular gun in idpa ssp and uspsa production (and 2 and 3 gun etc). while i really like this gun, i actually switched to the g17. just seems to clear the holster and get on target a little faster.

make sure you legally get some 17 round mags as they're way easier to load to 10 for the games, vs the 10 rounders where you're cramming in the last round or two.

also check out warren-sevigny competition sights, wide rear notch and fiber optic front. dawson has similar.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I have a Gen 4 I use for IDPA. I don't find it more or less quirky then any other Glock. It's not particularly fun to shoot, but I really appreciate not having to worry about whether it's going to do what it's suppose to.

Watch out for messing with the trigger. You can affect reliability and what division you fall in. I suggest just putting some good sights on it (I like the Warren Tactical Sevigny fiber front/plain rear) and don't think too much more about it.

Hope you enjoy the new pistol and the sport.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You can't put an aftermarket trigger bar in a Glock running SSP in IDPA if you want to be legal. It can be a reworked Glock part but not the latest greatest new trigger on the market. That's not to say you can't get away with using one in a local match because no one will check. But they can and will in a higher tier match. There are a couple of big time shooters who modify stock Glock trigger parts to the max you are allowed if you want to buy them. Or you can look up some videos on how to modify yours yourself. I will tell you my Glock story.
    Decided I wanted to get one (or more) for competition shooting. Bought a Glock (race) gun on GunBrokers which just happened to be Trop Gun Shop in PA. It was a Gen 3 (which I wanted) and had a Trijicon RMR melted into the slide (its what we call it). Barrel was stock and the trigger was just a hand job mod of the stock bar. Also had a nicely stippled grip and undercut trigger guard. Too many mods for IDPA so I used it for other types of events. Added Lone Wolf ported barrel, newer and better working RMR (don't get me on the subject of Trijicon red dot "reliability"), extended mag release, full Zev Fulcrum trigger, slide racker, and later a full upper with iron sights and the original barrel for other divisions. Then bought a new Gen 3 G17, put in the modded trigger from the G34, and also the extended mag release from the G34 (legal in IDPA SSP) and it was good to go for IDPA SSP. Zev trigger is about 3# while the modded bar now in the G17 is maybe 4.5#. One of my problems about using a G34 in IDPA is it kind of defeats the spirit of the rules about using concealable guns. Sort of like using a 6" long slide 1911 or god forbid a Desert Eagle. Anyway to each his own and have fun.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    You can't put an aftermarket trigger bar in a Glock running SSP in IDPA if you want to be legal. It can be a reworked Glock part but not the latest greatest new trigger on the market. That's not to say you can't get away with using one in a local match because no one will check. But they can and will in a higher tier match.

This is wrong. You can run a modified trigger in SSP as long as there are no externally visible modifications. Page 27 of the rulebook states:

G. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (no visible external
    modifications allowed).

I think you might have been thinking of GSSF, where you are correct that no non-Glock parts are allowed unless you're running in the Unlimited division.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Atropine is spot on in his post.
    I have one of my 34s set up for IDPA that I can use in SSP, or ESP that has a 2lb trigger and it legal. As long as modifications are not externally visible you are GTG.
    The other 34 is 100% stock for GSSF and with MUCH polishing to stock parts just got it down to 4.5lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom