• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foesad

May 21, 2015
    Binary Triggers

I have not read all 21 pages of post so please forgive me if I'm repeating what someone said already and this is my opinion.
    In reading Senate bill 707 and going to 4-305.1 (B) This Section does not apply etc etc.
    Item (1) possessed the rapid fire trigger activator before October 1, 2018;

There is no AND as there is after item 2 which connects item 2 to item 3. Definition of a semi colon is that it is an "independent clause" of a compound sentence.

That means item 1 stands alone, and if they made possession of an item that was legal when you purchased it, and the law now makes it illegal to own they would at least have to compensate you. (buy it back)

I'm keeping my receipt and letter from BATFE to echo in my rifle case.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm thinking the ATF was super duper, not to be confused with dupe thread alerts, serious about not responding to stock and trigger authorization requests.

A solid week has past and no reply.

Those who received responses must have slid in under the wire.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    This article appeared on WTOP this afternoon, attributed to ABC Radio - https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/05/atf-cant-save-bump-stock-owners-maryland-ban/

Cliff version is ATF will not create an authorization process and current owners are screwed. At least, that's how I read it.

It seems like including a provision that an existing owner cannot possibly fulfill, through no fault of their own, that results in an outright ban makes for a pretty good case to overturn the law, but I'm not a lawyer.

The article also mentions ATF classifying bump stocks as machine guns, which, according to the writer, would amount to a federal ban.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    This article appeared on WTOP this afternoon, attributed to ABC Radio - https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/05/atf-cant-save-bump-stock-owners-maryland-ban/

Cliff version is ATF will not create an authorization process and current owners are screwed. At least, that's how I read it.

It seems like including a provision that an existing owner cannot possibly fulfill, through no fault of their own, that results in an outright ban makes for a pretty good case to overturn the law, but I'm not a lawyer.

The article also mentions ATF classifying bump stocks as machine guns, which, according to the writer, would amount to a federal ban.

Hogan asked for it, got it, signed it into law.

I still feel it’s unconstitutional because of the taking clause but apparently Maryland and governor hogan do not

Say good by to you stuff

And it’s just a foot in the door to banning firearms and accessories

Hogan asked for it, got it, signed it into law.

I still feel it’s unconstitutional because of the taking clause but apparently Maryland and governor hogan do not

Say good by to you stuff

And it’s just a foot in the door to banning firearms and accessories

That's what I thought. After seeing the video a while back with the failed attempt at a 10+ magazine ban, where a couple reps specified it's a violation due to no offer of buyback, I thought this would be the same thing.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013

Didnt a state try to have NICS check for something they arent for (think it was ammo) and the law got nixed because of it ?
    Could this finally be the case the 4th stands with us ?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    What if you SBR that Rifle and do a tax stamp and trust on it?

What if you install one in a rifle that already is a SBR?

That wouldn't have any bearing on anything. In the case of an SBR, the ATF has allowed you to register the rifle (or specifically the lower receiver of the rifle) with them as an SBR. They have not granted you specific permission to own the trigger in said rifle, which is what the MD bill addresses.

The thing we all need to remember here, folks:

Trump has directed Sessions to tell the ATF to make a new rule that will make bumpstocks illegal on the Federal level. ATF has published the proposed rule, which will reclassify bumpstocks / trigger accelerators / etc as machineguns and make them all illegal to own (unless there are oddball ones out there that were made before 1986).

So the Maryland bill is likely going to be moot anyways.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That wouldn't have any bearing on anything. In the case of an SBR, the ATF has allowed you to register the rifle (or specifically the lower receiver of the rifle) with them as an SBR. They have not granted you specific permission to own the trigger in said rifle, which is what the MD bill addresses.

The thing we all need to remember here, folks:

Trump has directed Sessions to tell the ATF to make a new rule that will make bumpstocks illegal on the Federal level. ATF has published the proposed rule, which will reclassify bumpstocks / trigger accelerators / etc as machineguns and make them all illegal to own (unless there are oddball ones out there that were made before 1986).

So the Maryland bill is likely going to be moot anyways.

Gotcha. Was wishful thinking

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Gotcha. Was wishful thinking

I specifically asked the ATF if binary triggers would change the classification of a SBR, or if SBR's can lawfully be built with binary triggers. They responded with the generic form letter about the new law.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I specifically asked the ATF if binary triggers would change the classification of a SBR, or if SBR's can lawfully be built with binary triggers. They responded with the generic form letter about the new law.

:sad20: Oh well, I guess im just gonna have to get into the full auto game to give MD the finger:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom