• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    just by observing gangsta types at the range... most lose initiative when someone with a big bore ( bigger gun) is shooting beside them. Someone shooting a bigbore accurately teaches them the fear of God instantly. For some reason, the bigger gun gives the defender psychological advantage. Why not take time to mentally fornicate with your adversary?

:)

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    For the whole SHTF rifle thing being discussed, it is entirely unrealistic, unless you think that an event of epic proportions is going to happen (Yellowstone Caldera eruption, massive sunspot activity shutting down all electronics, etc.). If one of these events happens you have way worse problems than which rifle matches your boots. You are looking at things like how do I get food and clean water?

I have read Ferfal's book about surviving the economic collapse of Argentina (great book btw). And will occasionally skim his blog: http://ferfal.blogspot.com/ This is a much more likely scenario that it would pay to prepare for, rather than the end of civilization as we know it. Just because it has already happened, and may in fact be happening to Greece and Spain soon.

The economic collapse was very severe, and what happened was the opposite of what usually gets postulated by the old school survival guys. People flocked to, not from the cities. Concealed pistols were at a premium, because while the government and law enforcement became corrupt, it did not go away. So rifle use was out, open carry was out, and you were working against not just criminals, but also draconian law enforcement of the new petty dictator de jour.

He does have specific firearm recommendations (which will no doubt be ridiculed by the local gun experts), but he had limits on availability and definitely a different mindset than a typical US gun nerd. Over 80% of the book was not about firearms at all, fwi.

So for most SHTF events, I am really looking to concealed pistols and knives, not rifles. (Takedown rifles and folding stock weapons might have a chance, but have real limits). End of the day you are not going to become some Lone Wolf McQuaid, you are much more likely to gravitate toward red cross/shantytown/whatever shelter is available for your family. Because even if you can survive off of ground water and ants you pull up with a stick, your 5 year old daughter certainly can't.

But for zombies, or other fantasy situations, I'll stick with my AK. Heck, a situation like that would highlight all the advantages of the platform, lol.

Gundahar

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    For the whole SHTF rifle thing being discussed, it is entirely unrealistic, unless you think that an event of epic proportions is going to happen (Yellowstone Caldera eruption, massive sunspot activity shutting down all electrontics, etc.).

I have read Ferfal's book about surviving the economic collapse of Argentina (great book btw). And will occasionally skim his blog: http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

The economic collapse was very severe, and what happened was the opposite of what usually gets postulated by the old school survival guys. People flocked to, not from the cities. Concealed pistols were at a premium, because while the government and law enforcement became corrupt, it did not go away. So rifle use was out, open carry was out, and you were working against not just criminals, but also draconian law enforcement of the new petty dictator de jour.

He does have specific firearm recommendations (which will no doubt be ridiculed by the local gun experts), but he had limits on availability and definitely a different mindset than a typical US gun nerd. Over 80% of the book was not about firearms at all, fwi.

So for most SHTF events, I am really looking to concealed pistols and knives, not rifles. (Takedown rifles and folding stock weapons might have a chance, but have real limits). End of the day you are not going to become some Lone Wolf McQuaid, you are much more likely to gravitate toward red cross/shantytown/whatever shelter is available for your family. Because even if you can survive off of ground water and ants you pull up with a stick, your 5 year old daughter certainly can't.

But for zombies, or other fantasy situations, I'll stick with my AK. Heck, a situation like that would highlight all the advantages of the platform, lol.

Gundahar

Don't forget about the "Falling Skies" scenario or "V" whichever you prefer. there's also the possibility of an 2nd plague/virus Or even the collision with a large meteor taht could cause worldwide panic. the last 2 are a certain reality

i'm just saying

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Don't forget about the "Falling Skies" scenario or "V" whichever you prefer. there's also the possibility of an 2nd plague/virus Or even the collision with a large meteor taht could cause worldwide panic. the last 2 are a certain reality

i'm just saying

Excellent example to standardize your carry. Have rifles and pistols of the same caliber.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    You can keep their women...
    life-div-group-enlarge.jpg

But the balisong... :)

Dude....you need to Google "Filipina" the women are beautiful.

Attachments

• Miss-World-Philippines-2011_001.jpg
      Miss-World-Philippines-2011_001.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 289

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys

What are you standards?
    What is your ideal SHTF Rifle?
    What is YOUR SHTF Rifle?

If SHTF in this area, depending on how much S hit the F would be the deciding factor of what my plan would consist of. My two options are staying in or going to a friends place. I have enough food and water for a week if I were to stay in. If I needed to leave I have a friends farm that would be appropriate.

My standards for a SHTF rifle would be reliability, accuracy, weight, and firepower in that order. I'm not looking to take shots a long distances, I would only be using my rifle as a tool for hunting and defense purposes.

As for my ideal SHTF rifle? I would take my AR, it's easy to maintain, accurate, reliable, light and has enough power to take game around this area. Hopefully this summer it should slightly quieter as well.:innocent0

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    In a shtf scenario, I would think medical care might be hard to find. As such, a .22 wound to the torso could be a lot more lethal than in normal circumstances. They might not die immediately, but in that situation, almost any serious wound would guarantee death. No antibiotics, no professional medical care, no stitches/sutures available- so a perforated intestine spilling fecal matter into the bloodstream and torso would fairly quickly result in a massive infection and shock. So using that logic, most people would become extremely timid about engaging in a firefight unless absolute desperation forced them into it.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Well, I only have Ak's ,so there you have it. 45 XD for side pistol. Or the GP100.

Problem with the Ak is Ammo.eventually going to run out though, so alot of gaithering of firearms and ammo from the bad guys.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Whatever is in my hand. If I have to bug out, assload of .22 lr, 5.56 and 12 ga. 2500HD pulling an enclosed "stock" trailer. I was sent down south during Katrina. Big dually with a horse trailer rules. Fuel, genset, ammo, food and more anyplace you need it. Bugging in, I get to follow the simple rule, Shoot, Shovel and Shut up :) My grave yard has lots of room :) Food, water and heat, have it all on the farm.

City people, if you don't have a water supply your F'd big time! All your ammo and guns don't mean squat.

If it's the 1992 Los Angeles Riots, also known as the Rodney King Riots, bug in and stack them deep. After a week things will get better. The Korean shop owners had it right. But in Maryland they would still be in (under) jail.

I say the only thing going to happen is a Katrina event. Might not be for 100 years, but I'm ready. Are you?

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    For the Ar guys. Which out of box Ar? and what caliber? Not meaning to derail thread but ammo and parts would be plentiful than Ak's

Any Mil spec, as parts and ammo (5.56/.223) can be found. Lots of donor rifles if need be. USGI magazines work, stay with what your Mil and Local Leo's use.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Any Mil spec, as parts and ammo (5.56/.223) can be found. Lots of donor rifles if need be. USGI magazines work, stay with what your Mil and Local Leo's use.

The last thing I want if it goes WROL is having a rifle with common ammo, same as the military/police are using. They'll be more than happy to take your ammo when they're running out, and they have the numbers to back it up.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    As has been stated here it comes down to what S hits what F.

I have no plans of escaping dodge and living like a mountain man. Honkering down and staying out of sight is top on my list. in that case the m1a1 and the rpk are my choice weapons. More penatration is what I am thinking.

Great depression style shtf. Here is my question? how many of us will loose our homes? if the dollar tanks will their be massive forclosures? Will people just stay in their homes and say "f" the banks?

Cause I have little kids, I can hunt, fish, trap and do the rambo crazy sh*t but my two year old requires alot ore then some dried berries and a fish once in a while. So shelter and food are as much a priorety as fire power.

now "falling sky" or zombies or "28 days" I am moving with what the most effective rifle is. If alien's are not bothred by 556 well looks like the socom is what I take. Zombies walking dead style means 10/22 with ass load of ammo. crazy "rage" zombies ak.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    My number one right now is my small AR. It's very accurate, so far 100% reliable, light, handy, and it does well with every type of 223/5.56 I've used. The polished internals don't hurt either.

Next would be my AK. Just because it's an AK. I would also use my M1. Hell my K98 hits hard too.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    One thing that will IMO be the deciding factor is whether you will be on the move or defending a compound.

If you are on the move you'd be silly not to consider something like a 10/22. You can carry VASTLY more than most other calibers. For any longer term on the move SHTF type scenarios i think the 10/22 wins hands down. Running out of ammo renders you weapon as effective as a tree branch.

For the defending the homestead scenario you'd be wise to consider an AK, AR, or a nice semi auto .308- doesnt really matter. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE STOCKPILED a lot of ammo.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    For total SHTF/War i'm all about the AK74. Haven't been much of a handgun guy but I think it's time to become more proficient because like Gundahar pointed out, in the most likely scenario (A gradual collapse of the economy etc.) LE/Military will still be around and won't appreciate me walking around with ESAPI plates and an AK. Nemesis also made a point of this to me and it makes very very good sense. Time for me to invest in a couple thousand .45 and some soft armor. Depending on the severity i'll be bugging out to a couple rural locations I have planned anyways so *shrug*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom