• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Just bought a lower from Gym Rats. Any ideas on what to build? This is my first build so easier the better. I was thinking of getting a complete upper.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Make sure to grab some standard capacity mags for it!

Attachments

• C251A2F6-7E6A-43F9-8733-E5E3255F63CE.jpg
      C251A2F6-7E6A-43F9-8733-E5E3255F63CE.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 519

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd go complete upper for first build

The whole point of an AR build is based on the upper. That's where the difference lies. Buying a complete upper, you might as well buy a complete gun. Any schmuck can build a lower.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I just built my 15th AR. My latest is the only one I’d recommend you not build. 7.5” 5.56 pistols/sbr’s are just plain rude to shoot.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The whole point of an AR build is based on the upper. That's where the difference lies. Buying a complete upper, you might as well buy a complete gun. Any schmuck can build a lower.

As a first AR, I would still recommend buying complete upper. Schmuck or not. Once you move past your first, then you can play around....but who wants to spend $800 on an upper and have to trouble shoot it?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    As a first AR, I would still recommend buying complete upper. Schmuck or not. Once you move past your first, then you can play around....but who wants to spend $800 on an upper and have to trouble shoot it?

Ask for help. There are plenty of people on this forum willing to show/help a newb assemble their upper. Better yet, take a SOTAR class with Chad and learn how to do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD

Not sure why anyone interested in doing anything related to firearms (aside from banning, seizing, or sawing them in half...) would be a schmuck.

OP basically, you do you. AR builds are great because they're completely personal. There are thousands of parts, multiple lengths, tons of calibers, and even different systems of operation. Plus you'll probably upgrade it in a few years... I made a new rifle from parts, sans lower, that I pulled off of my original. You're wallet may hate you though.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Buy a complete upper or at least a barreled upper for your first go. Feel free to mess around with handguards/muzzle devices/mounting options but I wouldn't mess with trying to figure out how to mount a barrel or a gas tube on my first go. It will be functional to say the least and you avoid worrying about messing up the actual function of the gun. Depending on the purpose you intend to use your AR, I would rather be called a schmuck and have a reliable gun I can trust for HD/SHTF built by reputable companies that do this for a living. You can get a complete BCM upper with BCG for about $500. My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom