• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Has anybody used little feeder fish you can buy at petsmart/petco as bait? Is it legal? Would it work? Not talking about bay or ocean, but at the local fresh water fishing spots.

Just wondering?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm offended. (just kidding).

I'd be cautious about possibly introducing foreign species into tidal waters, might be a hefty fine if you were caught. What are you fishing for? canned corn, bread, worms, etc usually does the trick depending on species.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Thx. I did not think so. I was just wondering bc my brother gave me his old reel and it had the bait runner switch in the back. I ll just try to catch bluegills or tadpoles if available

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I'm offended. (just kidding).

I'd be cautious about possibly introducing foreign species into tidal waters, might be a hefty fine if you were caught. What are you fishing for? canned corn, bread, worms, etc usually does the trick depending on species.

Bass, cat fish. Basically any fish that will take the bait. Usually I do most of the casting and my kids do all the reeling. You guys know how it is when fishing with the little ones

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Earthworms. Laying out some compost, something to bring them up close to the top helps. Easy to pick up and makes for another step in the process that the kids can be a part of.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    You could use night crawlers to catch small panfish and use them for larger fish.

We were catching minnows last week and using them to catch catfish. We found out that chunks of hotdogs are a lot more effective though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Earthworms. Laying out some compost, something to bring them up close to the top helps. Easy to pick up and makes for another step in the process that the kids can be a part of.

If you crush up the green hulls from black walnuts and let them steep in water for a few mins, you can pour that water on any patch of dirt and the earth worms will come to the surface like they are on fire. You will need to rinse them off in a little bit of fresh water (or they will die), but this trick has saved me much time in looking for bait.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    You could use night crawlers to catch small panfish and use them for larger fish.

We were catching minnows last week and using them to catch catfish. We found out that chunks of hotdogs are a lot more effective though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^Basically the stinkier the better for catfish. Hotdogs are great though because not only can you nibble them too but your hands won't smell like a dumpster, as many cat baits do...

Worms or crawlers, as others have mentioned, work well for bass.

Good luck!

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    You can use them as bait, flounder love them. Now, DNR will write you a nice ticket if you are caught using them in fresh water. Been checked by DNR on Assawoman using goldfish when I couldn't find bull minnows. As with everything check the reg where your fishing first.

The main problem using them is they have weak lips. Cast with it lip hooked an the fish flies off in the other direction. Back hook or tail hook them. They won't last long in salt water.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    well.

I hear dressing in a Clown costume...
    Gold fish and candy is a good balance for bait.
    :eek::wtf:

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    If you crush up the green hulls from black walnuts and let them steep in water for a few mins, you can pour that water on any patch of dirt and the earth worms will come to the surface like they are on fire. You will need to rinse them off in a little bit of fresh water (or they will die), but this trick has saved me much time in looking for bait.

i have done this. people look at me like i am insane when i say this.
    i have also used an electric wormer

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The Potomac river around Brunswick already has a breeding population in it, don't use them as bait or release them into any body of water.
    It is ilegal as others have said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom